The Student Room Group

Medicine

Hello junior doctors,

I hope you’re all well. I have SCOURED the internet for information on certain things and, I’m afraid I’m unable to get clear cut, valid answers.

I’m a non EU student (who did her A levels in the UK and quite enjoyed her time there) graduating from an EU university in June. I realised I have to do the PLAB and IELTS, and would like to work, ideally in the UK as soon as possible (I need to start supporting myself SOMEHOW already, at 24, haha)

Sooo, the questions:

I am applying this year for a job in 2021. Do I apply for LAS/LAT, straight to FY2 (I think I can do that due to my EU deg having an extra year technically classed as an internship) or go to FY1 for the experience

Alsoooo, what is LAS/LAT? I’ve seen it everywhere but not too sure what it means for my career progression etc. The words ‘non-training/training’ are starting to sound redundant and meaningless, not exactly sure what they mean in context of jobs haha.

I understand that I may have to wait a full year while I take the PLABs to start working in August 2021. Are there any jobs I can do before then, that allows me a tier 2 sponsorship of some sort? Not looking to make a whole lot of money, so the salary isn’t a big deal.
I would ideally love research of some sort, or something that gives me clinical experience.
I’m great at learning and academia.

Finally, any final years/trainee/junior doctors wanna be friends? :wink:
What’s your experience been like since you started working and any funny stories?

TL;DR - pick a question from above and answer if you’d oblige me please. I know you’re all busy people but I’d like some insight from UK grads and IMGs wherever you can. Thank you so much!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending