Exdoz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I will become an undergraduate medical student starting this September, finishing Year 13. Now I checked the information regarding the NHS Bursary Funding and it said I can only receive the bursary once I am in my 5th/6th year of the course. However, I heard somewhere that when starting med school you can be eligible for an NHS bursary in your 1st year. Or is that only eligible for midwifery and nursing students ?

Also, my med school is only 5 years. I won't be able to receive a bursary for my "6th" year once I graduate 5th year right ? Or is there a scheme then as well ?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Exdoz)
I will become an undergraduate medical student starting this September, finishing Year 13. Now I checked the information regarding the NHS Bursary Funding and it said I can only receive the bursary once I am in my 5th/6th year of the course. However, I heard somewhere that when starting med school you can be eligible for an NHS bursary in your 1st year. Or is that only eligible for midwifery and nursing students ?

Also, my med school is only 5 years. I won't be able to receive a bursary for my "6th" year once I graduate 5th year right ? Or is there a scheme then as well ?
Hi there, there is the new NHS grant https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/learning-s...tudent-funding but for any questions about NHS bursary or NHS grant eligibility you must speak with the NHS as SFE do not award this. If the NHS do give you a bursary (not a grant) then your funding from SFE will be affected because you will only be entitled for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan which is the very basic amount for the years you receive the NHS bursary.

From the information we have, the NHS do not award a bursary in the first 4 years. In the 5th and subsequent years you will be entitled to the bursary and therefore will only receive the basic reduced rate loan from SFE.
Thanks, Isaac
Exdoz
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi there, there is the new NHS grant https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/learning-s...tudent-funding but for any questions about NHS bursary or NHS grant eligibility you must speak with the NHS as SFE do not award this. If the NHS do give you a bursary (not a grant) then your funding from SFE will be affected because you will only be entitled for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan which is the very basic amount for the years you receive the NHS bursary.

From the information we have, the NHS do not award a bursary in the first 4 years. In the 5th and subsequent years you will be entitled to the bursary and therefore will only receive the basic reduced rate loan from SFE.
Thanks, Isaac
Will this NHS grant affect the funding I receive/d from SFE ? Will there be a reduced rate loan ?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Exdoz)
Will this NHS grant affect the funding I receive/d from SFE ? Will there be a reduced rate loan ?
No, the NHS Grant does not affect your entitlement or eligibility at all. You can receive the full amount of funding from SFE and additionally apply for the NHS Grant.
Thanks, Isaac
Exdoz
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
No, the NHS Grant does not affect your entitlement or eligibility at all. You can receive the full amount of funding from SFE and additionally apply for the NHS Grant.
Thanks, Isaac
Hi Isaac
Regarding the NHS grant: I see it does not apply to medical students? So medical students are only eligible for NHS bursaries in that case?
Attached files
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Exdoz)
Hi Isaac
Regarding the NHS grant: I see it does not apply to medical students? So medical students are only eligible for NHS bursaries in that case?
I advise you to speak with the NHS to see what you are eligible for as SFE do not administer the bursary or grant so are unable to advise you on eligibility.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (5)
14.29%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (11)
31.43%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (2)
5.71%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (4)
11.43%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (1)
2.86%
I think it's an unfair expectation (11)
31.43%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.86%

Watched Threads