The Student Room Group

computer science degree with no prior experience

I'm thinking of taking computer science at university but I didn't take it for GCSE or A Level although I do take A Level Maths so I can take it. Do most students come in with at least GCSE or A Level? I was just wondering will it be really difficult and if i will be at a disadvantage if have no proper experience?
Original post by lilo16
I'm thinking of taking computer science at university but I didn't take it for GCSE or A Level although I do take A Level Maths so I can take it. Do most students come in with at least GCSE or A Level? I was just wondering will it be really difficult and if i will be at a disadvantage if have no proper experience?

Most universities don't require CS at school. However, you may well be asked why you didn't take it, and why you want to do CS.

Do you have any programming experience? You need to show that you are enthusiastic about computing.
(edited 3 years ago)
Many students will start a computing course and will have previous knowledge of computing but there will also be many who start who do not have computing knowledge but have a strong science background. Many universities want either one or another but there may be some that do not mind if one has neither.

You will find because of this, universities start at the basics so everyone is at the same level but it is best to research and find out if this is the case for your given university choices.

So to answer your question, you shouldn't be at a disadvantage going in but there are ways you could prepare yourself prior to university such as learning a little programming in your spare time using resources like Codeacademy, freecodecamp, codecombat, etc. You could also take Harvard CS50 online course which is free.

Hope this answers your question.
Hello, I am also considering taking computer science as a degree, but didn't take it for A-levels and I also don't do A-level maths. The university that I'm interested in ( Newcastle ) say that they only require AAB in A-levels and a 6/B in GCSE maths ( which I have ). Would not having done A-level maths make a Computer Science degree, in general, harder or does the maths that is required very basic i.e. GCSE level. I have also looked at the course and modules and haven't really seen anything that is very 'mathsy'.

Also, I did CS for GCSE and achieved an 8.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ChooseWisely
Hello, I am also considering taking compute science as a degree, but didn't take it for A-levels and I also don't do A-level maths. The university that I'm interested in ( Newcastle ) say that they only require AAB in A-levels and a 6/B in GCSE maths ( which I have ). Would not having done A-level maths make a Computer Science degree, in general, harder or does the maths that is required very basic i.e. GCSE level. I have also looked at the course and modules and haven't really seen anything that is very 'mathsy'.

Also, I did CS for GCSE and achieved an 8.

The Newcastle degree is less mathematical/theoretical than many other CS degrees. If they don't require A-level Maths then any necessary maths they'll teach on the course. Some of the options are in more mathematical areas of CS (e.g. anything data oriented, potentially graphics and cryptography depending how they structure the course) though, and you will have to take core courses on e.g. algorithm analysis and some mathematics for computing (in the "Fundamentals of Computing" module there). You can see in the module details you'll cover at least some A-level standard maths (on vectors, matrices, real functions) in that module.
Original post by artful_lounger
The Newcastle degree is less mathematical/theoretical than many other CS degrees. If they don't require A-level Maths then any necessary maths they'll teach on the course. Some of the options are in more mathematical areas of CS (e.g. anything data oriented, potentially graphics and cryptography depending how they structure the course) though, and you will have to take core courses on e.g. algorithm analysis and some mathematics for computing (in the "Fundamentals of Computing" module there). You can see in the module details you'll cover at least some A-level standard maths (on vectors, matrices, real functions) in that module.

Thanks!

When it comes to the A-level standard maths, is everything taught from scratch or do they expect you to know a few things here and there?
Original post by ChooseWisely
Thanks!

When it comes to the A-level standard maths, is everything taught from scratch or do they expect you to know a few things here and there?

They won't expect anything if they don't require it. They will probably expect you to be on top of your GCSE Maths and prepared to start doing maths work again once you start the course immediately, so it would probably be useful to review your GCSE Maths notes over the summer before starting to make sure you haven't gone rusty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending