Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
This coronavirus plan, as of today, is just making me think that we will see another wave as it's ridiculous! There is also a lot of uncertainty as to whether uni will be online for the first term, as some universities are beginning to plan that this will happen, and who knows what will happen with accomodation.

As I am planning to study in a city, i'm wondering whether it is worth deferring or reapplying to uni for 2021 instead, because of the uncertainty, and cities will be most affected if there is another wave. Is it worth waiting out another year to see what happens? Is anyone else in this same position? I want to enjoy my uni experience, not have to deal with the uncertainty of what is going to happen.
bexmunday
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Don't worry I'm feeling the exact same! It's all so confusing.
I'm planning to study Fine Art at Chelsea...I think London is the last place I want to be at the moment.
It's a lot of money and a big risk to take on just the chance a vaccine will come and solve everything. Might be staff cuts as well.
I'm leaning towards deferring at the moment (if they'll let me) but I'm just keeping an eye on the news and see if anything chances.
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
you are not alone
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6436720
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post88619714
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6398860
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6483086
max_plant
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I feel the same, what's the point in paying for uni when it might have to be online
<..........>
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
There’s a fundamental flaw with this argument in that it values a year of your life at £0.

The overwhelming majority of people who are talking about declining/deferring their university places this year will find themselves in November/December in a situation where the university they were going to attend is planning to resume on-campus activity and instead, they need to find a way to occupy themselves until next September.
Last edited by <..........>; 6 months ago
jazzyshoes
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Johnathan94)
There’s a fundamental flaw with this argument in that it values a year of your life at £0.

The overwhelming majority of people who are talking about declining/deferring their university places this year will find themselves in November/December in a situation where the university they were going to attend is planning to resume on-campus activity and instead, they need to find a way to occupy themselves until next September.
True for those going straight from uni who may not have jobs, but for others it may be worth it to continue working and wait a year.
<..........>
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by jazzyshoes)
True for those going straight from uni who may not have jobs, but for others it may be worth it to continue working and wait a year.
Absolutely for some it may be the case but for very many it won’t. And spending a year of your life doing nothing because a few months of online teaching doesn’t appeal to you isn’t something to be done lightly.
jazzyshoes
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Absolutely for some it may be the case but for very many it won’t. And spending a year of your life doing nothing because a few months of online teaching doesn’t appeal to you isn’t something to be done lightly
True. And I guess with the economy being what it is, that would likely be the alternative because jobs aren't exactly going to be easy to come by for the next year. Such hard decisions though
<..........>
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by jazzyshoes)
True. And I guess with the economy being what it is, that would likely be the alternative because jobs aren't exactly going to be easy to come by for the next year. Such hard decisions though
Yeah absolutely - I don’t see there being an abundance of “staff wanted” signs in many parts of the country.

It’s a difficult decision for many people but it’s a sad thing to see people place absolutely monetary value at all on spending a year of their life just kicking their heels.
jazzyshoes
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Yeah absolutely - I don’t see there being an abundance of “staff wanted” signs in many parts of the country.

It’s a difficult decision for many people but it’s a sad thing to see people place absolutely monetary value at all on spending a year of their life just kicking their heels.
Yeah exactly. It's a bit of a harder decision for people that applied to do like, teacher training or nursing or speech therapy (what i've applied for) or something else practical though that can't really be fully delivered online
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (21)
30.43%
No - I have already returned home (8)
11.59%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (14)
20.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (5)
7.25%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
30.43%

Watched Threads