The Student Room Group

I'm a Primark employee, AMA

Might not be the most interesting topic but i've been working there nearly 2 years while at college so I think I could answer most questions!
Reply 1
As of the latest tax year April 2020 i'm on £8.35 per hour however it used to be £8. (currently furloughed so not earning this atm)
Reply 2
To be honest I haven't really experienced many rude customers, probably because I work shop floor, more so it's just really strange customers aha. I'd say the rudest one was where we had already announced that the store had closed and this woman came up to the tills demanding to me and my supervisor that she be served, the funny thing was we were about to serve her but she chucked all of her stuff and walked away. Then she realised she hadn't made enough of a scene so came back demanding to see a manager :s-smilie:
Would you continue working there part-time when you finish education?
Have you had any communication from them (Primark) in the light of the Government Covid 19 plan (if you can call it that)?
Reply 5
Haha it can be quite bad, I work weekends so I often get the worst of it. I think I've learned to zone out 90% of it, for the other 10% where its a screaming baby etc I'll go to the employee part of the fitting rooms for a couple of minutes, thats where everyone goes to get away :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by ayyyy.x
Would you continue working there part-time when you finish education?

Um probably not, I'm planning possibly on getting a transfer for the first year of university but I'll probably stop after that. It's definitely a good first job, the people you work with are generally the same age but I don't think I could see myself there long term
How do you deal with all the stock you get? :frown:
How does the management treat you?
Reply 8
Original post by barnetlad
Have you had any communication from them (Primark) in the light of the Government Covid 19 plan (if you can call it that)?

Yeah they've been relatively good with communication during this time, from what I know all supervisors and sales assistants have been furloughed and are receiving 80% of their wage from the government. We get regular updates from our store manager and we have also been assigned to floor manager to ask any questions etc. But like everything it's not been perfect
Reply 9
how was the application process how do you balance education and the job
Reply 10
Original post by lauraleech
How do you deal with all the stock you get? :frown:
How does the management treat you?

I would guess that the amount of stock is relative to the number of employees so I believe its manageable, that being said I work evenings, and it's the morning people that put stock out. With regards to maintaining stock on the shop floor, one or a few employees are given a designated section to maintain, so ensuring it's tidy and putting clothes back out that was taken to the fitting rooms.

I've deleted what I said about the managers, it wasn't bad but just in case haha, they're probably the same as what you would get in any store where adults are in charge of younger people
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Tela
how was the application process how do you balance education and the job

So I applied through indeed, they'll then send you some stuff to fill in (can't remember exactly as it was a while ago) and a quiz about what you would do in different scenarios - all common sense nothing to worry about. If they like your answers (or realistically if they actually need employees) you'll get asked to have an interview at the store, again this is fairly straight forward they ask things about your CV and more scenario questions. After that if they decide to hire you you'll have an induction with around 5-15 others and then you're in!

The shifts at primark are quite short for part time so it was never really a problem. You'll usually be contracted 4 or 8 hours per week, i'm contracted 4 hours per week but there's lots of overtime available so you can work more hours if you want. I was planning on leaving for my A levels however because of corona I didn't have to
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 12
Haha probably
Reply 13
I'm planning on going to uni this September to study history, i'm hoping to work at a primark over there during term time and my current primark while not at university - I believe this is something they offer but I haven't spoken to my manager about it yet
Preemark or Prymark?
do you have to constantly re fold all of the merchandise ?
Hi,
What about
- Kimble numbers, which number do you put in and into what part of the tills
- how do customers pay half card / half cash, how do I do this
- how do you let them pay with a gift card
- how do you let them buy one and put money on it.

I get anxiety about these things and struggle to pick them up even when explained as I get anxiety and stress easily. I’m going back on the tills soon, any advice with the things above.
Original post by Admera
Might not be the most interesting topic but i've been working there nearly 2 years while at college so I think I could answer most questions!

Quick Reply

Latest