The Student Room Group

Oxford biology, i don't know if i'm suitable?

I was predicted 7s at GCSE but got eight 9s and one 8. I worked really hard for this and i want to study biology at oxford but I worry I'm not suitable for a number of reasons.
1. I have to work hard to get A*s in mocks yet other people who want to apply tell me they hardly study and yet they get A*s.
2. I have read some example personal statements and I have only done one work experience and although I do extracurriculars I haven't done much biology stuff compared to these statements.
3. My dad doesn't think I stand a chance because of all the private school students and exceptional state students, whereas I'm an average/slightly above average state school student.

Basically my question is if I haven't done much biology related work experience or done summer schools, will this effect my application and although I find biology quite natural will it mean I'm unsuitable for oxford if I have to work so hard for these grades?
Original post by fr3g
I was predicted 7s at GCSE but got eight 9s and one 8.

Congratulations - those are very, very good grades, and will help your application.

Original post by fr3g
I worked really hard for this and i want to study biology at oxford but I worry I'm not suitable for a number of reasons.
1. I have to work hard to get A*s in mocks yet other people who want to apply tell me they hardly study and yet they get A*s.
2. I have read some example personal statements and I have only done one work experience and although I do extracurriculars I haven't done much biology stuff compared to these statements.
3. My dad doesn't think I stand a chance because of all the private school students and exceptional state students, whereas I'm an average/slightly above average state school student.

1. What matters is how well you have understood the material so far. An A* indicates that you have;
2. Are you enthusiastic about Biology?
3. Not relevant. You are nowhere near average with your grades - don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Original post by fr3g
Basically my question is if I haven't done much biology related work experience or done summer schools, will this effect my application and although I find biology quite natural will it mean I'm unsuitable for oxford if I have to work so hard for these grades?

No. IMO, 'A' level is the first time that you really get into a subject, so it's normal to have to work to form your understanding of it. Having a thorough understanding of the basics will be a big advantage - those that worked less may not have that.

If you meet the entry requirements, apply. Oxford is a "roll of the dice" option, so have a go. You may surprise yourself. Good luck.
you miss 100% of the shots you don't take

if oxford is the place you want to study, you should apply because there's no harm in doing so

u got dis !!!
Original post by RogerOxon
Congratulations - those are very, very good grades, and will help your application.

1. What matters is how well you have understood the material so far. An A* indicates that you have;
2. Are you enthusiastic about Biology?
3. Not relevant. You are nowhere near average with your grades - don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

No. IMO, 'A' level is the first time that you really get into a subject, so it's normal to have to work to form your understanding of it. Having a thorough understanding of the basics will be a big advantage - those that worked less may not have that.

If you meet the entry requirements, apply. Oxford is a "roll of the dice" option, so have a go. You may surprise yourself. Good luck.

Thankyou! And yes I really love biology, this makes a lot of sense it's worth a shot. Thanks :smile:
Original post by whitedwarf
you miss 100% of the shots you don't take

if oxford is the place you want to study, you should apply because there's no harm in doing so

u got dis !!!

Yeah thats a good point! Thanks :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by fr3g

Oxford is heavily criticised for this but they are working hard to try an increase their state-school intake plus do not let people say you can't do something, you just need to believe in yourself.

if you're applying this year, they are gonna understand that it would have been hard for you to gain work experience (because of covid-19) so instead a bit more of wider reading and find a book that you may want to write about in you're personal statement and maybe even talk about in your interview.
Original post by xsowmix
Oxford is heavily criticised for this but they are working hard to try an increase their state-school intake plus do not let people say you can't do something, you just need to believe in yourself.

if you're applying this year, they are gonna understand that it would have been hard for you to gain work experience (because of covid-19) so instead a bit more of wider reading and find a book that you may want to write about in you're personal statement and maybe even talk about in your interview.

That's true! I will definitely have a look through my books and try to find a good one. Thanks :smile:
Original post by fr3g
I was predicted 7s at GCSE but got eight 9s and one 8. I worked really hard for this and i want to study biology at oxford but I worry I'm not suitable for a number of reasons.

I'd echo earlier posters' thoughts.

1.There is a misperception that Oxford is a place for special people who "don't have to work" for their grades because they have some inherent talent or gift. On the contrary, Oxford students work hard to get their GCSE and A Level grades and work hard when they are there too. It's more about the ability to stay focused and self disciplined than being a genius. One of the good things about Oxford is that you are surrounded by other students who appreciate that sometimes, you just have to close the door and study. Hard workers, "swots" and "geeks" are not bullied or seen as weird.
2. For super curriculars, you don't have to work in a lab or volunteer at a nature reserve. But you do need to feel that reading the latest book on evolution or deep sea ecosystems feels like a treat! If you refer to a couple of books in your PS, and a couple of ideas that inspire you, that should be fine. Books like those by Neil Shubin or Nick Lane are good examples. The daily email briefings from Nature magazine are a good way of picking up on stories in the news. If you get to the point of interview, make sure you read and practice the kind of interview questions on the Oxford website.
3. Oxford still has a problem with over-representation of privately educated students, but this is also the case for all the Russell group unis in the UK. Private school students apply to the "top" unis much more often than do state school students, so the figures partly reflect that. Even so, most students at Oxford are from state schools.

Having said all that, there are plenty of other good unis in the UK. If you like the Biology prospectus and the college system of Oxford, go for it. If somewhere else appeals more, head there. Good luck whatever you decide.
Original post by OxFossil
I'd echo earlier posters' thoughts.

1.There is a misperception that Oxford is a place for special people who "don't have to work" for their grades because they have some inherent talent or gift. On the contrary, Oxford students work hard to get their GCSE and A Level grades and work hard when they are there too. It's more about the ability to stay focused and self disciplined than being a genius. One of the good things about Oxford is that you are surrounded by other students who appreciate that sometimes, you just have to close the door and study. Hard workers, "swots" and "geeks" are not bullied or seen as weird.
2. For super curriculars, you don't have to work in a lab or volunteer at a nature reserve. But you do need to feel that reading the latest book on evolution or deep sea ecosystems feels like a treat! If you refer to a couple of books in your PS, and a couple of ideas that inspire you, that should be fine. Books like those by Neil Shubin or Nick Lane are good examples. The daily email briefings from Nature magazine are a good way of picking up on stories in the news. If you get to the point of interview, make sure you read and practice the kind of interview questions on the Oxford website.
3. Oxford still has a problem with over-representation of privately educated students, but this is also the case for all the Russell group unis in the UK. Private school students apply to the "top" unis much more often than do state school students, so the figures partly reflect that. Even so, most students at Oxford are from state schools.

Having said all that, there are plenty of other good unis in the UK. If you like the Biology prospectus and the college system of Oxford, go for it. If somewhere else appeals more, head there. Good luck whatever you decide.

Thankyou for the tips! They're very useful, I will have a look into those books :smile:
Original post by fr3g
Thankyou for the tips! They're very useful, I will have a look into those books :smile:

Thery are just suggestions. Read the stuff that most appeals to you. You wont be expected to know or understand it all, just to have a grasp of the principles of evolution and adaption, and a few ideas that show you are interested in stuff outside the school curriculum.
Original post by fr3g

Basically my question is if I haven't done much biology related work experience or done summer schools, will this effect my application and although I find biology quite natural will it mean I'm unsuitable for oxford if I have to work so hard for these grades

The average amount of 8/9s for biology offer holders is 8, so you are already comfortably in Oxford territory for your GCSEs.

As for the others saying they hardly study and get A*s, I would take that with a massive pinch of salt. The people I know who went to Oxford had to work very hard for their GCSEs. If they are allergic to hard work, they will get a big wake up call if, indeed, they get to Oxford in the first place.

If you have completed only one example of work experience, that will probably be more than everyone else has, in the current climate. No tutors will expect you to have done any. Instead, use your spare time in lockdown to read about an area about biology you are interested in.

Oh, and don't listen to your dad. Oxford is trying harder and harder to attract more state school students. They would welcome an application from an excellent candidate like you with open arms.
Original post by Oxford Mum
The average amount of 8/9s for biology offer holders is 8, so you are already comfortably in Oxford territory for your GCSEs.

As for the others saying they hardly study and get A*s, I would take that with a massive pinch of salt. The people I know who went to Oxford had to work very hard for their GCSEs. If they are allergic to hard work, they will get a big wake up call if, indeed, they get to Oxford in the first place.

If you have completed only one example of work experience, that will probably be more than everyone else has, in the current climate. No tutors will expect you to have done any. Instead, use your spare time in lockdown to read about an area about biology you are interested in.

Oh, and don't listen to your dad. Oxford is trying harder and harder to attract more state school students. They would welcome an application from an excellent candidate like you with open arms.

That's good to hear! And thats a good idea thankyou :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending