juan3357
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
A solid is soluble in water and produces steamy acidic fumes with concentrated sulfuric acid. The solid could be:
A potassium carbonate.
B magnesium sulfate.
C silver chloride.
D sodium chloride.
Last edited by juan3357; 5 months ago
username4247768
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey I've done this q but are you sure you're not mixing it up? On my paper these are the two qs (you've got the q from 9 and answer from 10)

A white solid produces oxygen when it is heated, but no other gases. The solid could be
A lithium nitrate.
B potassium nitrate.
C strontium nitrate.
D calcium oxide.

10 A solid is soluble in water and produces steamy acidic fumes with concentrated sulfuric acid. The solid could be
A potassium carbonate.
B magnesium sulfate.
C silver chloride.
D sodium chloride.
juan3357
Rep:
?
Oh sorry that's the question. Yeh I mixed it up with Q9 and Q10.

A solid is soluble in water and produces steamy acidic fumes with concentrated sulfuric acid. The solid could be:
A potassium carbonate.
B magnesium sulfate.
C silver chloride.
D sodium chloride.
username4247768
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by juan3357)
Oh sorry that's the question. Yeh I mixed it up with Q9 and Q10.

A potassium carbonate.
B magnesium sulfate.
C silver chloride.
D sodium chloride.
then it is c!
juan3357
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amelia 123)
then it is c!
Can you explain why please
username4247768
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sorry I meant D!

The concentrated sulphuric acid gives a hydrogen ion to the halide ion to produce a hydrogen halide. Because this is a gas, it immediately escapes from the system. If the hydrogen halide is exposed to moist air, you see it as steamy fumes. Out of all of the options, the only chloride is a halide ion.
Sodium chloride is soluble in water because the positive part of water molecules attracts the negative chloride ions and the negative part of water molecules attracts the positive sodium ions.
juan3357
Rep:
?
But wouldn't the negative part of water molecules attract the positive silver ion too?
username4247768
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by juan3357)
But wouldn't the negative part of water molecules attract the positive silver ion too?
AgCl is not soluble in water because the forces holding the solid AgCl lattice together is strong to break in the same way as NaCl
silver and chloride ions apparently cannot form strong enough bonds with water to compensate for the breaking of the lattice
juan3357
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amelia 123)
AgCl is not soluble in water because the forces holding the solid AgCl lattice together is strong to break in the same way as NaCl
silver and chloride ions apparently cannot form strong enough bonds with water to compensate for the breaking of the lattice
Ok I understand thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (150)
14.75%
I'm not sure (44)
4.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (304)
29.89%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (493)
48.48%

Watched Threads