The Student Room Group

Regret dropping 4th A-Level!! Uni advice?

So I dropped my 4th just because I severely disliked biology, the lessons in particular, and was extremely ill-informed at the time of choosing my a levels. Now I'm passionately overcome with a desire to go for PPE or History at Oxford, the former of which I know would benefit from an extra A-Level qualification. This is sooo frustrating as I cannot do anything about it!! My remaining 3 are Hist Geog and Maths, so at least I have some standing for my desired Uni course. I just wish I knew what I wanted to do back in September. I think I am capable of three A*s however, and have a very strong set of GCSEs. I just wish I had an extra one under my belt because I know I'd be capable. Its painful knowing I'm the top student for GCSE grades in my school year, yet I'm only doing 3 and I know of other mediocre students doing 4. Grrrr.

Anyone have any advice? Any experience from Ox/Cam? I don't suppose there's any qualification extra I can do now? I've heard of critical thinking? (I am doing Grade 8 music - helpful?) - or does my situation not really matter towards uni and I'm exorbitantly overthinking things??

Thank youuuu

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You're overthinking things and it's not a big deal.
You don't need to do four, and doing four doesn't put you at an advantage.

Focus on doing well in your three - much more important than doing four and doing them less well.

Your music qualification is good to show you can balance time/commitments but doesn't otherwise improve an application - it isn't relevant to your subject.

Focus on exploring your desired subject/s beyond the curriculum instead. Reading, competitions, podcasts, videos, magazines etc etc. Whatever you do, follow your interests and think about why something was interesting to you (don't just create a list of stuff you've done).
Reply 3
Original post by Paralove
You don't need to do four, and doing four doesn't put you at an advantage.

Focus on doing well in your three - much more important than doing four and doing them less well.

Your music qualification is good to show you can balance time/commitments but doesn't otherwise improve an application - it isn't relevant to your subject.

Focus on exploring your desired subject/s beyond the curriculum instead. Reading, competitions, podcasts, videos, magazines etc etc. Whatever you do, follow your interests and think about why something was interesting to you (don't just create a list of stuff you've done).

Thanks very much :smile: I've been reading at the moment. When I think back to Y11 everything was abt GCSES. Now I feel like I'm pursuing interests which seems v different but better I suppose
Original post by JDCoey
Thanks very much :smile: I've been reading at the moment. When I think back to Y11 everything was abt GCSES. Now I feel like I'm pursuing interests which seems v different but better I suppose

That's very much the way to be going. They want students who are motivated and enthusiastic about their subject - and doing the exploration beyond what you have to do for school is demonstrative of that. Plus, it shouldn't be a chore; if you're not enjoying it you're either not pursuing your interests or the subject isn't for you.

Of course, don't neglect your A-Level subjects for this - nailing them is important.
Original post by JDCoey
So I dropped my 4th just because I severely disliked biology, the lessons in particular, and was extremely ill-informed at the time of choosing my a levels. Now I'm passionately overcome with a desire to go for PPE or History at Oxford, the former of which I know would benefit from an extra A-Level qualification. This is sooo frustrating as I cannot do anything about it!! My remaining 3 are Hist Geog and Maths, so at least I have some standing for my desired Uni course. I just wish I knew what I wanted to do back in September. I think I am capable of three A*s however, and have a very strong set of GCSEs. I just wish I had an extra one under my belt because I know I'd be capable. Its painful knowing I'm the top student for GCSE grades in my school year, yet I'm only doing 3 and I know of other mediocre students doing 4. Grrrr.

Anyone have any advice? Any experience from Ox/Cam? I don't suppose there's any qualification extra I can do now? I've heard of critical thinking? (I am doing Grade 8 music - helpful?) - or does my situation not really matter towards uni and I'm exorbitantly overthinking things??

Thank youuuu

3 A levels is completely fine - at my offer holder day, it seemed to be about 50/50 between 3-4 A levels. Biology is also perhaps one of the least related courses you chose to your potential degrees, meaning that dropping it was possibly even a good idea so that you can ensure the best grades possible in the remaining 3. In addition, critical thinking and general studies are qualifications often disregarded by universities in general. Honestly, don't worry :smile:
I don't get what the problem is. Oxford don't expect you to do 4. Doing more than 3 won't give anyone an advantage anyway. They'd mostly likely ignore the extra A level.
Reply 7
Original post by redmeercat
3 A levels is completely fine - at my offer holder day, it seemed to be about 50/50 between 3-4 A levels. Biology is also perhaps one of the least related courses you chose to your potential degrees, meaning that dropping it was possibly even a good idea so that you can ensure the best grades possible in the remaining 3. In addition, critical thinking and general studies are qualifications often disregarded by universities in general. Honestly, don't worry :smile:

Reply 8
Original post by Quick-use
I don't get what the problem is. Oxford don't expect you to do 4. Doing more than 3 won't give anyone an advantage anyway. They'd mostly likely ignore the extra A level.

I only supposed it might indicate academic ability.
Original post by JDCoey
I only supposed it might indicate academic ability.

Quality over quantity! You're lucky you dropped your 4th subject. You can focus on your 3 subjects as well as anything else you might need to do for university. More than anything, feel sorry for those that are doing an unnecessary extra subject.
Reply 10
Quality over quantity! You're lucky you dropped your 4th subject. You can focus on your 3 subjects as well as anything else you might need to do for university. More than anything, feel sorry for those that are doing an unnecessary extra subject.

I'm sorry, is this a joke? 3 alevels is enough lol if you 'can' achieve 3 A*s that's impressive enough :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by endergirl123
I'm sorry, is this a joke? 3 alevels is enough lol if you 'can' achieve 3 A*s that's impressive enough :smile:

Sorry, this wasnt meant to be a joke. I guess that brings light to my unfettered ability to overthink.
@Oxford Mum do you have any advice for someone wanting to do History or PPE at Oxord?
Original post by JDCoey

Thank youuuu

'passionately overcome'...

Bit over the top, don't you think?
Original post by JDCoey

Thank youuuu

Yes, you are overthinking! Taking 4 A levels may mean you concentrate less on your remaining three, which may mean you miss your offer. Say if your offer is AAA, and you get AABB - see what I mean?

Oxford say, yes, if you really want to do a fourth A level then yes, but you don't have to. It would be much better to concentrate on extra research into your subject.

I think I have already posted the Oxford Demystified history chapter to you, but here I go again:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=85140140&highlight=Oxford%20demystified

and PPE

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6436380

I'm sorry I can't rep this post as well! As you say, quality over quantity. Dropping the fourth A level is a good move. My son (medicine) did 5 AS levels but got a rubbish mark for one of them, so he dropped down to 3 A levels. Even medicine didn't need more than 3.
Reply 17
Original post by Oxford Mum
I'm sorry I can't rep this post as well! As you say, quality over quantity. Dropping the fourth A level is a good move. My son (medicine) did 5 AS levels but got a rubbish mark for one of them, so he dropped down to 3 A levels. Even medicine didn't need more than 3.

Thank you!! It's nice hear from you Oxford Mum! Thank you for your advice today, I was actually already aware of your Oxford Demystified series, so it's actually really great to advice directly from you. I particularly enjoyed the 'History and Economics' chapter. I suppose my overthetop presumptions are largely a derivative of my competitive nature - I go to a school where the top students are always bidding to outperform each other. I guess number of Alevels comes across to the inexperienced as a quantitative indicator of progress, when in reality I have gathered its most definitely not. Thanks again :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Reality Check
'passionately overcome'...

Bit over the top, don't you think?

Just an attempt to draw emphasise to the dynamic change in attitude.

Cheers 'Reality Check'
Reply 19
Thanks for the tag @harrysbar :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest