The Student Room Group

Can I still register as a nurse. I've been withdrawn from the because I failed my di

Hello I'm looking for advice please thanks.
I have passed all my modules except dissertation. I achieved 320 credits but to get hons I need 360 I have also completed placement hours 2300 as required by the NMC . I failed my dissertation twice which carries 40 credits and I do not have any other attempt because I have used my extraordinary attempt in year one. The university went to the board and decided to withdraw me from the course and that I cannot register at all. They have advised me to appeal but it will be another 90 calendar days. I had job offers now I will have to inform my manager I cannot accept them anymore. My university will be withdrawing me from the course and citing incomplete course so that I do not get my pin. Thay have advised that it is an NMC regulation to pass all module and I Cannot register without Hons. I have been advised they will exit me with an ordinary degree in health care studies. After 3 years of hard work. What can I do now I'm feeling low messed up and cannot think at all. Anyone out there experience this situation?

Scroll to see replies

How did u fail the dissertation twice. Was it a problem regarding your u I and the superviser or was the problem due to you? Could you get a doctors note or anything if it was due to a health issue?
Reply 2
Original post by Luvmidwife
How did u fail the dissertation twice. Was it a problem regarding your u I and the superviser or was the problem due to you? Could you get a doctors note or anything if it was due to a health issue?

Hi I failed because one
The first attempt I had heart problems due stress caused by divorce and child care I had a doctor's note. Then second attempt I had no supervision support due to no contact with our supervisor because of the covid virus. Our online was not working at all I could not access the learning information. I was also on Placement on a daily basis and had a court case going on. I took on alot. I really believed I did improve massively on the 2nd attempt but nope it seems I still got same grade. I have now been withdrawn and advised to appeal. I tried my best but now I really heartbroken
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by mandarin
Hi I failed because one
The first attempt I had heart problems due stress caused by divorce and child care I had a doctor's note. Then second attempt I had no supervision support due to no contact with our supervisor because of the covid virus. Our online was not working at all I could not access the learning information. I was also on Placement on a daily basis and had a court case going on. I took on alot. I really believed I did improve massively on the 2nd attempt but nope it seems I still got same grade. I have now been withdrawn and advised to appeal

Agh seems tricky but on that basis I think you could appeal but I will tag a user who I think is very helpful in these cases @999tigger
Hi I failed because one
The first attempt I had heart problems due stress caused by divorce and child care I had a doctor's note. Then second attempt I had no supervision support due to no contact with our supervisor because of the covid virus. Our online was not working at all I could not access the learning information. I was also on Placement on a daily basis and had a court case going on. I took on alot. I really believed I did improve massively on the 2nd attempt but nope it seems I still got same grade. I have now been withdrawn and advised to appeal. I tried my best but now I really heartbroken

Hey, you have to see what the uni guidelines are and take it from there. As well as this you could’ve asked for feedback from your 1st disso to improve but you failed to do this. You can also ring up the NMC and see what they have to say that about this situation.

Normally though, this is usually written on your uni policy. Please do check that first before contacting NMC.
Reply 5
Agh seems tricky but on that basis I think you could appeal but I will tag a user who I think is very helpful in these cases @999tigger [br]

Thankyou very much
Hi I failed because one

Hi I am very sorry to hear of your difficulties, but Nursing can be quite brutal and they will withdraw you.
Have you talked to the SU advisor or the NMC? NMC have a helpline, but am not convinced they can help except to say use the appeal system at the university. Do you have any good friends who are good at reading rules and will support you or any law graduates?

Its a case of someone will need to read the rules and then check on what grounds you can appeal on or see if there are any alternative options.
University rules are the dullest of the dull to read through and depending on the uni they can be extensive or obscure or both.
I make the following points which arent an answer or even the start of one, but are things I would note.

1., Your research on 320v 360 credits makes sense and have no doubt its correct.
2. Your research on it needing to be an honours degree or 360 credits also sounds correct.
3. You state you are only allowed one extenuating circumstance? Presumably you have checked that ion the rules.
4. I would check with the OU to see if they can and will take a transfer of credits. They might let you transfer 320 credits , leaving you to make up 40.
http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/
5. You could consider appealing but ask to retake the year, sure they wouldnt make you do the placement again. That would only be at the end of the appeal.
6. Someone could find a reasonable grounds for appealing they consider acceptable and they let you resubmit for a third time. Have to say without reading the rules it would be a long shot and you would need medical evidence to back you up. Everyone has had to deal with covid 19 and the way unis take it is if you submit work, then you are prepared for it to be marked. Did you get a tutor or anyone who could give you some pointers on your dissertation? Because you were trying for the second time it was imperative you knew it was going to pass before submission, so a second opinion is always helpful. Considering what was resting on it then I wouldnt have left it to chance and sought an extension. Have you been working as a nurse in hospital and doing extra cv 19 hours? If so how much? That might be grounds. Did you make friends at hospital supervisor , doctors etc, maybe they could write you testimonials and attest to what was happening on the wards and your competence?

In any event it will be hard. Someone is going to have to read the rules, ideally a lawyer.
7. Yes you are going to have to tell your new employers what has happened as soon as reasonably possible. I dont think getting a job if you had qualified is the issue, although its disappointing.
4. wlould be the quickest and my favoured option if they can take you. Check with the NMC that would be acceptable either as a transfer i.e 320 credits to OU and they add 40 to get na OU degree. It may be if that works then you would have to ask your current uni to let you transfer credits rather than them crystalise into an ordinary. Alternatively whether they would register you if you got the extra 40 credits from somewhere. They will know what they have registered in the past. I would rather have the 320 credits rather than an ord degree as the latter is of little use.
8. If you managed to get this resolved in 120 days that would be very quick imo.
9. As far as I can see youd be looking at another year if they allowed you a way out because you cant get past the fact the dissertation wasnt good enough.
10 If I was doing another dissertation then I would want more time to make sure I started from scratch and knew what I was doing. In this situation if you got another chance afeter a lot of struggle you simply couldnt fail again which means patience and more application over time, considering whats at stake.

In any event have a word with OU and NMC on the points I raised in 4 and 7.

Thats all I can think of off the top if my head. I understand its a time of great stress and mixed feelings but do try and avoid beating yourself up or self flagellating over it. Making yourself feel worse wont help, you need to conserve your energy and apply it in things that will help or offer hope, even if remote. It can be exhausting. See how you get on. Good luck.

Agh seems tricky but on that basis I think you could appeal but I will tag a user who I think is very helpful in these cases @999tigger
Original post by 999tigger
Hi I am very sorry to hear of your difficulties, but Nursing can be quite brutal and they will withdraw you.
Have you talked to the SU advisor or the NMC? NMC have a helpline, but am not convinced they can help except to say use the appeal system at the university. Do you have any good friends who are good at reading rules and will support you or any law graduates?

Its a case of someone will need to read the rules and then check on what grounds you can appeal on or see if there are any alternative options.
University rules are the dullest of the dull to read through and depending on the uni they can be extensive or obscure or both.
I make the following points which arent an answer or even the start of one, but are things I would note.

1., Your research on 320v 360 credits makes sense and have no doubt its correct.
2. Your research on it needing to be an honours degree or 360 credits also sounds correct.
3. You state you are only allowed one extenuating circumstance? Presumably you have checked that ion the rules.
4. I would check with the OU to see if they can and will take a transfer of credits. They might let you transfer 320 credits , leaving you to make up 40.
http://www.open.ac.uk/study/credit-transfer/
5. You could consider appealing but ask to retake the year, sure they wouldnt make you do the placement again. That would only be at the end of the appeal.
6. Someone could find a reasonable grounds for appealing they consider acceptable and they let you resubmit for a third time. Have to say without reading the rules it would be a long shot and you would need medical evidence to back you up. Everyone has had to deal with covid 19 and the way unis take it is if you submit work, then you are prepared for it to be marked. Did you get a tutor or anyone who could give you some pointers on your dissertation? Because you were trying for the second time it was imperative you knew it was going to pass before submission, so a second opinion is always helpful. Considering what was resting on it then I wouldnt have left it to chance and sought an extension. Have you been working as a nurse in hospital and doing extra cv 19 hours? If so how much? That might be grounds. Did you make friends at hospital supervisor , doctors etc, maybe they could write you testimonials and attest to what was happening on the wards and your competence?

In any event it will be hard. Someone is going to have to read the rules, ideally a lawyer.
7. Yes you are going to have to tell your new employers what has happened as soon as reasonably possible. I dont think getting a job if you had qualified is the issue, although its disappointing.
4. wlould be the quickest and my favoured option if they can take you. Check with the NMC that would be acceptable either as a transfer i.e 320 credits to OU and they add 40 to get na OU degree. It may be if that works then you would have to ask your current uni to let you transfer credits rather than them crystalise into an ordinary. Alternatively whether they would register you if you got the extra 40 credits from somewhere. They will know what they have registered in the past. I would rather have the 320 credits rather than an ord degree as the latter is of little use.
8. If you managed to get this resolved in 120 days that would be very quick imo.
9. As far as I can see youd be looking at another year if they allowed you a way out because you cant get past the fact the dissertation wasnt good enough.
10 If I was doing another dissertation then I would want more time to make sure I started from scratch and knew what I was doing. In this situation if you got another chance afeter a lot of struggle you simply couldnt fail again which means patience and more application over time, considering whats at stake.

In any event have a word with OU and NMC on the points I raised in 4 and 7.

Thats all I can think of off the top if my head. I understand its a time of great stress and mixed feelings but do try and avoid beating yourself up or self flagellating over it. Making yourself feel worse wont help, you need to conserve your energy and apply it in things that will help or offer hope, even if remote. It can be exhausting. See how you get on. Good luck.

That was a very thorough and helpful response. Thankyou for helping op. I knew you would give good advice.
That was a very thorough and helpful response. Thankyou for helping op. I knew you would give good advice.

I try and give advice I would expect myself.
I think that took me an hour or more?
Too tired so have to do a slow methodical plod, most of the points are relevant in one way or another.
Nursing appeals are not fun and uni regulations are mind crushingly dull.
Hopefully there are a few different angles that might prove fruitful and offer a way out. They sound like having a tough time with everything else on top unfortunately I cant say everything will be fine, just dont give up and explore every avenue.
OP of the NMC have said no, then surely its a no for the immediate future until you find if theres a way to get 40 credits if the criteria is 360 or the additional marks if its a grade criteria. Its not gong to happen quickly.
Reply 10
OP of the NMC have said no, then surely its a no for the immediate future until you find if theres a way to get 40 credits if the criteria is 360 or the additional marks if its a grade criteria. Its not gong to happen quickly.

Thankyou very much for the response it's really tough but I take on board everything. I'm not going to give up I will try everything to get what I really love doing. Thankyou to everyone who has taken the time to respond and giving me advice I do appreciate it.
(edited 3 years ago)
Too tired so have to do a slow methodical plod, most of the points are relevant in one way or another.
Hopefully there are a few different angles that might prove fruitful and offer a way out. They sound like having a tough time with everything else on top unfortunately I cant say everything will be fine, just dont give up and explore every avenue.

Personal experience tells me otherwise. NMC is not going to accept OP excuses as they have heard it all before. Yes, there is an off chance that OP can redo but is she seriously, going to do it granted a third chance? The NMC are looking for quality when they train up their nurses. Not for someone to continuously make up excuses and not find time to do it.

I totally understand where OP is coming from, with her children and all. However, putting this through in an appeal would not bring about any goodness for OP unfortunately. I’ve personally being through it.

I'm not the op but I saw you giving good advice to others that was genuine so I decided to tag you in here. People like you are what this website is for. Thanks for helping the op ❤️
Original post by Thecrazydoughnut
Personal experience tells me otherwise. NMC is not going to accept OP excuses as they have heard it all before. Yes, there is an off chance that OP can redo but is she seriously, going to do it granted a third chance? The NMC are looking for quality when they train up their nurses. Not for someone to continuously make up excuses and not find time to do it.

I totally understand where OP is coming from, with her children and all. However, putting this through in an appeal would not bring about any goodness for OP unfortunately. I’ve personally being through it.

Thanks for your opinion but I am not the OP.
Your answer indicates you either havent bothered to read what I wrote or you fail to understand the issues I raised or fail to understand the exact situation the OP finds herself in. Your opinion is your opinion though.
Thanks for your opinion but I am not the OP.
Your answer indicates you either havent bothered to read what I wrote or you fail to understand the issues I raised or fail to understand the exact situation the OP finds herself in. Your opinion is your opinion though.

Yo chill. I know you’re not OP. I didn’t state you was. The issues you raised was questionable. I’m not going to go into the ins right now though.

All I’m saying is NMC are not and will never accept OP excuses. Don’t you think there’s many woman on the course with 2/3/4/5 children and managing it? Yes not everyone’s circumstances are the same however if everyone was to complain to the NMC about their personal issues nothing would ever get done.

EC is what OP needs. That’s all. No need to go the highway about it.

You’re welcome my friend. 😊
Yo chill. I know you’re not OP. I didn’t state you was. The issues you raised was questionable. I’m not going to go into the ins right now though.

All I’m saying is NMC are not and will never accept OP excuses. Don’t you think there’s many woman on the course with 2/3/4/5 children and managing it? Yes not everyone’s circumstances are the same however if everyone was to complain to the NMC about their personal issues nothing would ever get done.

EC is what OP needs. That’s all. No need to go the highway about it.

You’re welcome my friend. 😊

Once again you show you neither understand the issues in general nor have you bothered to read or understand my original post.
Speak to the OP about it if thats your opinion. I actually trust mine. We will agree to differ.
Once again you show you neither understand the issues in general nor have you bothered to read or understand my original post.
Speak to the OP about it if thats your opinion. I actually trust mine. We will agree to differ.

Lol. Says the individual who hasn’t had personal experience in such a field.

You neither understand that giving OP a leeway now might turn into a long time habit when she’s on the wards. There’s a distinctive reason why they’re so through in training us nurses though.

Would you like a nurse who’s racking up late and unbothered to work? Making up a gazillion excuses whilst she’s at it? Thought as much.
(edited 3 years ago)
I don’t know much about a nursing degree but is there no way to resist the year?
Reply 18

You neither understand that giving OP a leeway now might turn into a long time habit when she’s on the wards. There’s a distinctive reason why they’re so through in training us nurses through.

Would you like a nurse who’s racking up late and unbothered to work? Making up a gazillion excuses whilst she’s at it? Thought as much.

Under no circumstances have I ever taken my work not seriously. I'm not the type of a nurse who makes excuses or rack up late for work. Yes alot of factors did participate in my unsuccessful dissertation module, but this does not mean I'm one of those nurses who are not serious at their work. I have sailed well in placement and also in theory all other modules. It's was unfortunate that I did not achieve well in dissertation, and judging that I was on placement daily as a single parent with no childcare and diagnosed with anxiety due to court cases and other modules I was also doing hand in hand with dissertation. Please do understand everyone has their individual circumstances. And definitely I would jump to the chance of making it right if granted a 3rd chance since some of the factors that were stressing me have mellowed down at the moment. But I thankyou for your advice it is good to see different perspectives from everyone thanks.
(edited 3 years ago)

You neither understand that giving OP a leeway now might turn into a long time habit when she’s on the wards. There’s a distinctive reason why they’re so through in training us nurses though.

You know nothing about me.
You really are being unhelpful and quite nasty (not to me), but to the OP

As I pointed out. You do not understand the issues, you havent bothered to read or are too ignorant to understand them or the advice given in my op.
You keep going on about the NMC, except the real issues are nothing to do with them at the moment.

Also no need for the "My friend" rubbish because you most definitely are not.

Latest

Trending

Trending