srasaily
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi,
I am a first year undergrad student doing biomed science. I plan on applying for dentistry graduate entry in my second year. I don’t have The typical educational background. As in i did my school overseas so i have GCSE equivalents even tho I do have ENG and Maths GCSE done here in U.K. I also don’t have any A levels but hold a BTEC qualifications with DD grade. By the time I apply I will be 27. I am just worried that my overall background would hinder my application ? As it doesn’t show commitment to dentistry from the get go ?? Please feel free to give honest advice & opinions ! I’m all ears stay safe everyone
Dentalmentoruk
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by srasaily)
Hi,
I am a first year undergrad student doing biomed science. I plan on applying for dentistry graduate entry in my second year. I don’t have The typical educational background. As in i did my school overseas so i have GCSE equivalents even tho I do have ENG and Maths GCSE done here in U.K. I also don’t have any A levels but hold a BTEC qualifications with DD grade. By the time I apply I will be 27. I am just worried that my overall background would hinder my application ? As it doesn’t show commitment to dentistry from the get go ?? Please feel free to give honest advice & opinions ! I’m all ears stay safe everyone
Hi,

If I were you, my priority would be to ring up the graduate entry dental schools and check whether I could meet their minimum requirements. They can verify whether your academics would hinder your application. UCLan and Aberdeen need you to have a 2:1 minimum alongside certain GCSE's whereas KCL can accept a 2:2 if you also have a masters with a merit.
This would require you to finish your current degree
srasaily
Rep:
?
Hi
Thanks for your reply
And yes I am aiming for a first or atleast a 2:1 in my degree. I have a experience of working as a dental nurse too. I am hoping that a good UCAT score along with all these experiences will work in my favour.
My choices so far are KCL and UcLAN
TheMolarBear
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi,
Hi there!
i got a place at UCLan for 2020 so kind of familiar with entry requirements. I think they would want you to have A levels as they state they don’t accept BTEC in lieu in their FAQ document - I’ll attach the link. Hope that’s helpful but I’m sure if you emailed around various universities they’ll be able to tell you specifics good luck!
https://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/asse...16_updated.pdf
srasaily
Rep:
?
Thanks for the link. It was very clear n helpful.
However i am afraid that it’ only comes down to KCL for me then 😥
Is there any other university that won’t look at education before the degree ?
TheMolarBear
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Thanks for the link. It was very clear n helpful.
However i am afraid that it’ only comes down to KCL for me then 😥
Is there any other university that won’t look at education before the degree ?
I only applied for grad entry so I’m not sure about the requirements for the undergrad courses when you apply as a graduate. I’d send some emails around the schools if they don’t state it on their website, you never know there might be more than just KCL! Good luck
username5286262
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi everyone! I’m in year 2BDS on the UCLan postgraduate dentistry course! If anyone has any questions regarding the course feel free to PM me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (142)
14.34%
I'm not sure (42)
4.24%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (296)
29.9%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.63%
I'm not a current university student (484)
48.89%

Watched Threads