The Student Room Group

Thermofluids question - flow on a flat plate

I've calculated the Reynold's number for each x value but I'm not sure what to do next. I am aware that I need to find the local convection coefficient using the Nusselt number equation but not sure which version I would use, i.e. laminar flow, turbulent or mixed.
Exam question 1.png
Nusselt variations.jpg
Original post by Elektroflow
I've calculated the Reynold's number for each x value but I'm not sure what to do next. I am aware that I need to find the local convection coefficient using the Nusselt number equation but not sure which version I would use, i.e. laminar flow, turbulent or mixed.
Exam question 1.png
Nusselt variations.jpg

This is a good question.
You have done step one to calculate Re at different positions.
Looking at the main question these Re values should differ some should be laminar some turbulent.
Use the appropriate Nusselt correlation for each Re value. So laminar Re value use Laminar nusselt correlation.
Are you a uni student?
Reply 2
Original post by jonnypdot
This is a good question.
You have done step one to calculate Re at different positions.
Looking at the main question these Re values should differ some should be laminar some turbulent.
Use the appropriate Nusselt correlation for each Re value. So laminar Re value use Laminar nusselt correlation.
Are you a uni student?

Thanks for the reply. From all the Re values I have found, they all seem to be laminar since they are below the critical Re?
Yes, I'm a uni student.
Thanks for the reply. From all the Re values I have found, they all seem to be laminar since they are below the critical Re?
Yes, I'm a uni student.

ah yes they are below. hmm weird question. I've done similar questions to these in the past and always it involved laminar and turbulent regions then asked for average heat transfer coefficients.
Reply 4
Original post by jonnypdot
ah yes they are below. hmm weird question. I've done similar questions to these in the past and always it involved laminar and turbulent regions then asked for average heat transfer coefficients.

I guess they've just simplified it a bit for us then? Should I just use the laminar nusselt equation in that case?
I guess they've just simplified it a bit for us then? Should I just use the laminar nusselt equation in that case?

yeah, transition length is at 21m
Reply 6
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest