theologygirl1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Anyone studying Theology at Cambridge - how worthwhile is it for someone whose main interest isn't Christianity? I'm really interested in the politics and sociology of world religions - how far would I be able to explore this at Cambridge? It seems like much of the world religions stuff if philosophy focused.
Last edited by theologygirl1234; 1 year ago
skittish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sorry if you've already looked at this, but reading the course outline might be useful, as you can see which papers are compulsory and which are optional. From what I can tell, there are lots of opportunities to avoid studying Christianity, although it is sometimes compulsory.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....urses/theology

Year 1 (Part I)
You take five papers designed to give you a broad introduction to the concepts, knowledge and skills required in the main areas of study.

There are two compulsory subjects:

- one scriptural language (studied from scratch, no prior knowledge is expected) – Hebrew, New Testament Greek, Qur’anic Arabic or Sanskrit
- a paper in biblical studies, either David: Israel’s Greatest Hero? or Jesus and the Origins of the Gospel (you can take the other in place of one of the choices below)

Plus three other papers from a choice of six, currently:

- Christianity and the Transformation of Culture – the study of processes of conversion and Christianization in the late Roman world
- The Question of God – exploring some of the major themes of Christian theology
- Understanding Contemporary Religion – an introduction to the sociological study of religion
- Introduction to Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism
- Philosophy of Religion; and Ethics - these two papers introduce key questions in philosophy of religion and ethics, ranging from antiquity to contemporary controversies

Year 2 (Part IIA)
A wide choice of options is available, enabling you to develop a course suited to your own interests (scriptural languages are optional at this stage).

You choose four papers out of around 17, currently including:

- Introduction to Islam
- Ethics and Faith
- Philosophy of Religion: God, Freedom and the Soul
- The Johannine Tradition
- Life and Thought of Religious Hinduism and of Buddhism
- Christianity in Late Antiquity

You can also choose to take the Part IA Meaning paper from the Philosophy course, which will be taught alongside Philosophy students.

Year 3 (Part IIB)
In your final year, you choose four from a wide range of Special Subjects and interdisciplinary papers (topics may vary), such as:

- Truth, God and Metaphysics
- Theology and Natural Sciences: God and Creatures
- Judaism and Western Philosophy
- Self and Salvation in Indian and Western Thought
- Apocalypse
- New Testament Christology
- Judaism and Hellenism
- World Christianity

You can choose to write a dissertation of 10,000 words in your third year instead of one paper. You may also continue with a scriptural language
theologygirl1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by skittish)
I'm sorry if you've already looked at this, but reading the course outline might be useful, as you can see which papers are compulsory and which are optional. From what I can tell, there are lots of opportunities to avoid studying Christianity, although it is sometimes compulsory.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....urses/theology

Year 1 (Part I)
You take five papers designed to give you a broad introduction to the concepts, knowledge and skills required in the main areas of study.

There are two compulsory subjects:

- one scriptural language (studied from scratch, no prior knowledge is expected) – Hebrew, New Testament Greek, Qur’anic Arabic or Sanskrit
- a paper in biblical studies, either David: Israel’s Greatest Hero? or Jesus and the Origins of the Gospel (you can take the other in place of one of the choices below)

Plus three other papers from a choice of six, currently:

- Christianity and the Transformation of Culture – the study of processes of conversion and Christianization in the late Roman world
- The Question of God – exploring some of the major themes of Christian theology
- Understanding Contemporary Religion – an introduction to the sociological study of religion
- Introduction to Judaism, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism
- Philosophy of Religion; and Ethics - these two papers introduce key questions in philosophy of religion and ethics, ranging from antiquity to contemporary controversies

Year 2 (Part IIA)
A wide choice of options is available, enabling you to develop a course suited to your own interests (scriptural languages are optional at this stage).

You choose four papers out of around 17, currently including:

- Introduction to Islam
- Ethics and Faith
- Philosophy of Religion: God, Freedom and the Soul
- The Johannine Tradition
- Life and Thought of Religious Hinduism and of Buddhism
- Christianity in Late Antiquity

You can also choose to take the Part IA Meaning paper from the Philosophy course, which will be taught alongside Philosophy students.

Year 3 (Part IIB)
In your final year, you choose four from a wide range of Special Subjects and interdisciplinary papers (topics may vary), such as:

- Truth, God and Metaphysics
- Theology and Natural Sciences: God and Creatures
- Judaism and Western Philosophy
- Self and Salvation in Indian and Western Thought
- Apocalypse
- New Testament Christology
- Judaism and Hellenism
- World Christianity

You can choose to write a dissertation of 10,000 words in your third year instead of one paper. You may also continue with a scriptural language
Thank you - I had had a look at it; what worries me is that the papers not on Christianity seem very philosophy/history focused, while the sociology-type ones are all focused on Christianity. Obviously I'm interested in philosophy too, but in terms of world religions I'd really like to study some modern contexts as well.
Last edited by theologygirl1234; 1 year ago
skittish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by theologygirl1234)
Thank you - I had had a look at it; what worries me is that the papers not on Christianity seem very philosophy/history focused, while the sociology-type ones are all focused on Christianity. Obviously I'm interested in philosophy too, but in terms of world religions I'd really like to study some modern contexts as well.
Ahh I see what you mean :/ I've been trying to find you a Theology at Cambridge AMA so that you can contact a student but nothing so far, I'll keep you posted if I do! Hopefully everything will work out for you and you'll get to study what you want
theologygirl1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by skittish)
Ahh I see what you mean :/ I've been trying to find you a Theology at Cambridge AMA so that you can contact a student but nothing so far, I'll keep you posted if I do! Hopefully everything will work out for you and you'll get to study what you want
Thank you so much - that's really kind of you!
dking2001
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My daughter is going to study Theology at Cambridge and one of the reasons she chose the course is that it is one of the least Christianity-centric Theology courses available. She is excited by the range of religious areas she can study and the angles she can approach her study from.

She has written a chapter on Theology for the Cambridge Demystified book which Oxford Mum has been pulling together. This would be a good read for you.

In addition, there is a Cambrige Theology account on Twitter which is run by a 2nd Year student and he may be able to help with your queries.
theologygirl1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by dking2001)
My daughter is going to study Theology at Cambridge and one of the reasons she chose the course is that it is one of the least Christianity-centric Theology courses available. She is excited by the range of religious areas she can study and the angles she can approach her study from.

She has written a chapter on Theology for the Cambridge Demystified book which Oxford Mum has been pulling together. This would be a good read for you.

In addition, there is a Cambrige Theology account on Twitter which is run by a 2nd Year student and he may be able to help with your queries.
Thank you - I'll look into them!
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by theologygirl1234)
Anyone studying Theology at Cambridge - how worthwhile is it for someone whose main interest isn't Christianity? I've got an offer to study there next year, which is really amazing, but I'm started to wonder whether the course is much more Christian-focused than I realised and I should have applied somewhere else. I'm really interested in the politics and sociology of world religions - how far would I be able to explore this at Cambridge? It seems like much of the world religions stuff if philosophy focused.
I really do feel so lucky to have a place at Cambridge, and I don't want to diminish what an amazing opportunity this is. I feel awful that I'm having doubts about it, but I'm just really worried I won't be able to study the things that were a large part of my reason for applying in the first place.
Thank you
Hi there!
This is the theology chapter dking2001 is talking about...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6468794
theologygirl1234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Hi there!
This is the theology chapter dking2001 is talking about...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6468794
Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (208)
43.79%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (54)
11.37%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (102)
21.47%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (48)
10.11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed