The Student Room Group

Is it possible to balance work and study?

Hi guys :wavey:

Do you guys have a part time job at uni? What are your thoughts on it?

I’ve worked for nearly 2 years whilst at uni. In first year the job I had was really demanding and required me to work weekends which didn’t work well for me at all because it was hard for me to stay on top of seminar work and have a social life.

I currently work between Monday-Friday for Greenwich as part of the Student Ambassador scheme which allows students to do flexible part time work and be paid well. This has helped me to stay on top of my uni work and have fun on the weekends.

I would definitely recommend trying to get weekday work if possible as it helps the work and study balance become a little bit easier.

Some tips for balancing work and study is:

Get enough sleep
You need a good nights sleep to be able to conquer a demanding week at uni and work

Being organised
This means knowing how many hours you have free after your shifts and arranging that around your deadlines, seminar work and social life

Create a schedule
There’s loads of apps that are around to help you keep track of things you need to do daily which help you never forget a shift or even a deadline

If you guys haven’t had a job whilst at uni do you feel this has helped you stay more focused at uni?

Let me know your thoughts

Devina :smile:
Reply 1
Those are some really good tips. I've done uni life both with and without part time work.
1st time round: did the whole 4 year languages degree, when the only times I had a job were during summer holidays and while on my year abroad. I definitely had time to stay focused both on my studies and my social life. Finished with a 2:1.
2nd time round: worked on nurse bank as a HCA while doing my nurse training. Had to stay VERY organised to keep on top of uni work, paid work and social life. Finished with a 2:1.

The only thing I would add is, you can't do everything. If your mates want to meet up, but you also have a shift in work and an assignment due... something has to give.
Original post by Emily_B
Those are some really good tips. I've done uni life both with and without part time work.
1st time round: did the whole 4 year languages degree, when the only times I had a job were during summer holidays and while on my year abroad. I definitely had time to stay focused both on my studies and my social life. Finished with a 2:1.
2nd time round: worked on nurse bank as a HCA while doing my nurse training. Had to stay VERY organised to keep on top of uni work, paid work and social life. Finished with a 2:1.

The only thing I would add is, you can't do everything. If your mates want to meet up, but you also have a shift in work and an assignment due... something has to give.

@Emily_B Thanks for sharing your experience!

Firstly, congrats on getting such good grades! You definitely show that it's all about focus and organisation to stay on top of things

I couldn't agree more about not being able to do everything, it's all about juggling priorities because you can't have it all unfortunately :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest