The Student Room Group

Maths reference

So we have to write a reference for our teachers to write a reference for us. I can’t seem to figure out what to even write for the maths reference tho coz like science was fine to write about like you could read books or listen to podcasts but there’s not really much post casts around maths are there or even things to research about??
Original post by Yazomi
So we have to write a reference for our teachers to write a reference for us. I can’t seem to figure out what to even write for the maths reference tho coz like science was fine to write about like you could read books or listen to podcasts but there’s not really much post casts around maths are there or even things to research about??

I write UCAS references but I am not clear what you are being asked to do; can you clarify?
Original post by Yazomi

Hi, I am in Year 13 and have applied to read Mathematics. By your post I am assuming you are applying for mathematics or a course which has a lot of mathematical content.
There are a few things you can write about:
Why Maths?
What areas of maths do you enjoy? (specific topic)
An part of maths outside spec that you have researched that was interesting (e.g. I think I put set theory)
What books you have read? ( doesn't have to be a big book). I personally recommend the Very Short Introduction series
Maths challenge?

I hope that may give you some inspiration into what you are going to write
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
I write UCAS references but I am not clear what you are being asked to do; can you clarify?

So there’s a section to write about additional reading/research/visits, what you’ve learnt, enjoyed and whether it broadened your understanding- do I only mention about extra reading here?

Evidence of individual research/study-I guess if I write about something like further research into the topic?

And lastly personal qualities, how many would be listed on average?
Thanks for your help
Reply 4
Original post by **Jlord**
Hi, I am in Year 13 and have applied to read Mathematics. By your post I am assuming you are applying for mathematics or a course which has a lot of mathematical content.
Why Maths?
An part of maths outside spec that you have researched that was interesting (e.g. I think I put set theory)
What books you have read? ( doesn't have to be a big book). I personally recommend the Very Short Introduction series
Maths challenge?

Thanks you! Did you mention a lot about what you’ve learnt on your own like the set theory and books? Or it’s better to keep to the content learnt in the syllabus. What personal qualities would you say you’ve developed over the course though?
Original post by Yazomi
Thanks you! Did you mention a lot about what you’ve learnt on your own like the set theory and books? Or it’s better to keep to the content learnt in the syllabus. What personal qualities would you say you’ve developed over the course though?

This is not for your referee so are you talking about writing your PS?
Original post by **Jlord**
Why Maths?
Maths challenge?

This is the PS though - not the reference.
Reply 7
This is not for your referee so are you talking about writing your PS?

Its a bit weird but it’s a a form/reference that we have to fill for the teachers for them to write a reference for us about us as if they knew us really well but I can’t think of what independent research to do for maths to write about
Original post by Yazomi
Its a bit weird but it’s a a form/reference that we have to fill for the teachers for them to write a reference for us about us as if they knew us really well but I can’t think of what independent research to do for maths to write about

Isn't your Maths teacher writing about you?

In my school each subject teacher writes a paragraph and someone pulls these together. If someone is applying for Maths it'll normally be someone who's taught them Maths so they should know them really well.

Have you done UKMT challenges, been to lectures, read any books, ... really the teacher should know all this!
Reply 9
Isn't your Maths teacher writing about you?

In my school each subject teacher writes a paragraph and someone pulls these together. If someone is applying for Maths it'll normally be someone who's taught them Maths so they should know them really well.

Have you done UKMT challenges, been to lectures, read any books, ... really the teacher should know all this!

Oh wow I see, I thought that’s what happens in all of the schools😬 that’s kinda sad more work to do T^T coz it’s all of the teachers rhat request for that form for them to fill out the reference
Original post by Yazomi
Oh wow I see, I thought that’s what happens in all of the schools😬 that’s kinda sad more work to do T^T coz it’s all of the teachers rhat request for that form for them to fill out the reference

The student only completes a sheet for the tutor about anything outside school we may not know e.g. playing in a local team or music group. This usually does not tell us anything we don't already know but it is a double check.

I'm unclear why you need to tell teachers things they should know - how big is your year group?
Reply 11
The student only completes a sheet for the tutor about anything outside school we may not know e.g. playing in a local team or music group. This usually does not tell us anything we don't already know but it is a double check.

I'm unclear why you need to tell teachers things they should know - how big is your year group?

Mmmm around 500ish and around 17 people per class except chem with 30

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending