A-level classical Civilisation Greek religion

Watch
Cassey2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello. I’m doing Greek Religion as one of my units for a level classics civ. I’ve had to start it myself as we’re still a long way off from starting it in class which means next year we’ll have to cover Greek Religion and Greek Theatre in one year, which will be cut short by my actual alevels. I was wondering if anyone’s done the unit already and could talk me through the main points to focus on as I work through the book? I was wondering if there are any prescribed literary sources (I’m half way through the Theogony and have my Homeric Hymns to hand as well as having read the Odyssey for GCSE), and if there is, how are they incorporated into questions ? How much extra reading would you recommend and if you’ve done some are there any books you think a worth a read? Also what information do you think I should pay the most attention to- I remember at GCSE it was pretty much the entire textbook but not sure what will be relevant at Alevel? Sorry this is so long winded, any advice would be really appreciated, thanks 😊
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Cassey2002)
Hello. I’m doing Greek Religion as one of my units for a level classics civ. I’ve had to start it myself as we’re still a long way off from starting it in class which means next year we’ll have to cover Greek Religion and Greek Theatre in one year, which will be cut short by my actual alevels. I was wondering if anyone’s done the unit already and could talk me through the main points to focus on as I work through the book? I was wondering if there are any prescribed literary sources (I’m half way through the Theogony and have my Homeric Hymns to hand as well as having read the Odyssey for GCSE), and if there is, how are they incorporated into questions ? How much extra reading would you recommend and if you’ve done some are there any books you think a worth a read? Also what information do you think I should pay the most attention to- I remember at GCSE it was pretty much the entire textbook but not sure what will be relevant at Alevel? Sorry this is so long winded, any advice would be really appreciated, thanks 😊
Dont you have a textbook?
have you downloaded the specification and resources available from whichever exam board it is?
Never did Homeric hymns.
I would use the spec and textbook and revise whatever is core
I would prefer knowing I had revised the core well rather than a larger area less well, because that will guarantee most of your revision is on target.

Surely if you want to know how they work in exam questions you use the spec, exam papers and examiners reports?

I cant get a grasp of how your A level works.
You are doing this in your spare time?
Without knowing the exam board and any options then am pretty blind, am now thinking your version sounds a lot different to the one I studied.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (3)
60%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (1)
20%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
20%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (0)
0%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (0)
0%

Watched Threads