Why have the numbers doing French and German fallen whilst Spanish has increased?

Watch
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Why has Spanish suddenly seemed more popular? What's less popular about French and German?
username4867806
Rep:
?
Name:  languages.png
Views: 11
Size:  122.7 KBName:  languages1.png
Views: 14
Size:  105.0 KB

Whilst French is still the most popular, why has it been declining so much? Why is Spanish so much more popular?
bigrocks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
Why has Spanish suddenly seemed more popular? What's less popular about French and German?
Maybe because of the increase in popularity of mainstream Spanish TV shows and music making it more appealing?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Statistically, it is easier to get a better grade in Spanish so schools make the switch.
People go on holiday to Spain more than Germany so it seems more relevant.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Although I do not speak it other than a few words, I'm told it's easier to learn for most people than some of the other European languages. When having the choice at school I continued with French as I have family in Paris.

I feel that the obligation to do one modern foreign language to GCSE level should be restored. It's wrong for people to go abroad and expect everyone to speak English.
Neomycin
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
More people go on holiday to Spain
username4867806
Rep:
?
(Original post by Neomycin)
More people go on holiday to Spain
I think that is a stupid reason to be honest. Most of the GCSE spec isn't something you'd want to talk about on holiday.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
This chapter my son wrote about German may help to explain it...

Sometimes, so few secondary school pupils choose German, that the department is closed. This is why, when it came to picking a school for my son, we could not choose our local one.

Also with Spanish, you can conjure up pictures of sun, sea and sand when you think of the country.
Germany, although it's a beautiful country, with friendly people who are very pro-British, still has unfortunate connotations of war. If only more people would go on holiday there, they would see how wonderful it is, and how much they would like to go there.
Plus, the Spanish grammar is said to be easier than German grammar (all those cases!)

I can remember teaching a school class of German beginners. I said, when you think of Germany, what do you think of? A few said "Mercedes", but many mentioned the war.

All this makes German one of the easiest subjects to apply for at Oxford.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6054206
Neomycin
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
I think that is a stupid reason to be honest. Most of the GCSE spec isn't something you'd want to talk about on holiday.
I think it is polite to learn at least some of the language before visiting the country even if you are far from fluent. I am ashamed on behalf of the Britons who visit Spain, insist on British food and speak no words of Spanish. It must make the Spanish have a poor opinion of us.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I used to be a languages home tutor, and I used to love teaching using gcse papers. Most of the questions used to be about holidays and staying in hotels, so would be surprised if the spec had changed that much
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I agree with you. It is not my view, or my son’s view.

In fact, I actually married someone who was half German, so the fact you think I link Germans with the war is offensive to me.

My son, who is a quarter German, spent some time living in Germany and we all went to stay with the German relatives. We have nothing but love for Germans.

But it is the teenagers in the classrooms who are voting with their feet not to do German, and herein lies the problem.

I illustrated exactly why. This is their view, not mine and not my son’s.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
P. S. The entire family voted remain as well. The fact that you think I am a German hating brexiteer is, frankly, laughable. There was actually crying in my house when we found out we were having to leave the eI.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
E.u
username4867806
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I used to be a languages home tutor, and I used to love teaching using gcse papers. Most of the questions used to be about holidays and staying in hotels, so would be surprised if the spec had changed that much
Both of them are still topics, but I wouldn't say "most" questions are about them. AQA has these topics for German:

Identity and culture
Me, my family and friends
Technology in everyday life
Free-time activities
Customs and festivals in German-speaking countries/communities

Local, national, international and global areas of interest
Home, town, neighbourhood and region
Social issues
Global issues
Travel and tourism

Current and future study and employment
My studies
Life at school/college
Education post-16
Jobs, career choices and ambitions

I would not want to talk about most of them on holiday. Global issues was the worst topic. Too many long words that you would never normally need to use.
Last edited by username4867806; 2 months ago
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
When my son was hitching across Germany a few years ago, he made a point of having conversations about global warming with the lorry drivers who gave him lifts as he felt it would be his only chance to use some of the vocab he'd needed at GCSE (I remember he was always keen to use the German for cavity wall insulation because it was such a ridiculously long word). I think the official topic had been 'the environment'
pon1de2replay3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Spanish is easier to learn, esp compared to German. Many schools don't offer German now was it isn't spoken across so many countries. Also schools usually offer either French OR Spanish (not often both)
username4867806
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
When my son was hitching across Germany a few years ago, he made a point of having conversations about global warming with the lorry drivers who gave him lifts as he felt it would be his only chance to use some of the vocab he'd needed at GCSE (I remember he was always keen to use the German for cavity wall insulation because it was such a ridiculously long word). I think the official topic had been 'the environment'
I'm still really confused about why they added global warming into the GCSE content. Unless you make a point of using the vocabulary, like your son, it just isn't something that is going to come up in general conversation. (Plus most of the words are very long...)
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
P. S. The entire family voted remain as well. The fact that you think I am a German hating brexiteer is, frankly, laughable. There was actually crying in my house when we found out we were having to leave the eu.
:five:
i reported the person who was insulting you
Toscana
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
German is easier than spanish imo. Though, I think most people find spanish easier due to it being a Romance language
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
My favourite word was speed limit in German , I think it had 23 letters. I love the way German uses compound nouns, it’s almost poetic.

I love the way Germany was so environmentally friendly light years before us. I can remember going with my aunt in law to the recycling depot when in Britain we never did this at all. And the first time I went to Germany when I was fifteen, it was so fascinating..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads