thatcollegegirl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiya,
So we've been planning and drafting university personal statements for when we hopefully go back to college. I'm in year 12 and study A Level History and Government and Politics along with BTEC Applied Law. At University I wish to study Modern History and want to apply to Chichester, Portsmouth, Winchester, Sussex and Southampton. The Modern History & Politics course at Southampton has so many modules I really love the sound of. I live in Portsmouth as well so it's a reasonable distance away as well as being an attractive 'Russell Group'.

I was originally doing 3 A Levels but was seriously struggling with A Level maths but Law was one of the few things available when I changed subject in October. I've been achieving constant distinction* grades during the course and as a subject it does go well with history.

I have had a very happy year 12 and have achieved consistent good grades in my A Levels as well as taking up extra curricular activities such as Model UN and appearing on BBC Question Time. I am aware that certain Russell Groups are wary about BTECs so that's why I'm asking. They say on their page it's fine but I want to be extra sure.

Also, my GCSE grades were
English Literature - 6
English Language - 6
Mathematics - 7
DT - 7
History - 9
Biology - 6
Chemistry - 5
Physics - 7
Citizenship - 7
Business - 5

The Russell Group I'm inquiring about in particular is the University of Southampton
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I dont know specifically about Southampton but most universities accept BTECs including 3/4 of Russell Group ones. Dont believe the myth that surrounds RG and BTEC. If a university says it accepts something believe them. There is no reason for them to lie.
thatcollegegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
I dont know specifically about Southampton but most universities accept BTECs including 3/4 of Russell Group ones. Dont believe the myth that surrounds RG and BTEC. If a university says it accepts something believe them. There is no reason for them to lie.
Thank you, I just want to make sure. It would be great to go to any of the Universities I said so I wouldn't want to know I couldn't. Get what I mean?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by thatcollegegirl)
Thank you, I just want to make sure. It would be great to go to any of the Universities I said so I wouldn't want to know I couldn't. Get what I mean?
There is a general myth surrounding Btec that universities dont accept them but is only a couple that dont. Cambridge is one that comes to mind. Generally they are not accepted for medicine and sometimes for science course or Engineering you need a level Maths in addition but as long as the BTEC is in a relevant subject nearly everywhere accepts them for nearly all courses.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
PRSOM
thatcollegegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
PRSOM
What does that mean?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What does that mean?
It means 'please rate some other member'. It's because TSR doesn't allow you to 'up arrow/rep' the same user repeatedly in a short period - so you have to show your appreciation for their posts in some other way. The convention is to type PRSOM in reply to the message you're showing approval of.

It's a TSR thing...
thatcollegegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
It means 'please rate some other member'. It's because TSR doesn't allow you to 'up arrow/rep' the same user repeatedly in a short period - so you have to show your appreciation for their posts in some other way. The convention is to type PRSOM in reply to the message you're showing approval of.

It's a TSR thing...
Ohh I see, nice.
999tigger
Report 1 year ago
Hiya,
So we've been planning and drafting university personal statements for when we hopefully go back to college. I'm in year 12 and study A Level History and Government and Politics along with BTEC Applied Law. At University I wish to study Modern History and want to apply to Chichester, Portsmouth, Winchester, Sussex and Southampton. The Modern History & Politics course at Southampton has so many modules I really love the sound of. I live in Portsmouth as well so it's a reasonable distance away as well as being an attractive 'Russell Group'.

I was originally doing 3 A Levels but was seriously struggling with A Level maths but Law was one of the few things available when I changed subject in October. I've been achieving constant distinction* grades during the course and as a subject it does go well with history.

I have had a very happy year 12 and have achieved consistent good grades in my A Levels as well as taking up extra curricular activities such as Model UN and appearing on BBC Question Time. I am aware that certain Russell Groups are wary about BTECs so that's why I'm asking. They say on their page it's fine but I want to be extra sure.

English Literature - 6
English Language - 6
Mathematics - 7
DT - 7
History - 9
Biology - 6
Chemistry - 5
Physics - 7
Citizenship - 7
Business - 5

The Russell Group I'm inquiring about in particular is the University of Southampton
Its fine, Even Oxbridge will consider BTEC, when accompanied with A levels.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya,

English Literature - 6
English Language - 6
Mathematics - 7
DT - 7
History - 9
Biology - 6
Chemistry - 5
Physics - 7
Citizenship - 7
Business - 5

It's fine for almost all RG unis as everyone is saying, and I can't see a problem with you getting an offer from Southampton uni.

Someone on the law forum has a CTEC (similar to BTEC) and sociology A level - they got offers from Manchester and Leeds amongst other unis so if a uni says that they accept it on their website, they mean it.

(nathan_nacu hope you don't that I'm always using you as an example to encourage BTEC students )
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
It's fine for almost all RG unis as everyone is saying, and I can't see a problem with you getting an offer from Southampton uni.

Someone on the law forum has a CTEC (similar to BTEC) and sociology A level - they got offers from Manchester and Leeds amongst other unis so if a uni says that they accept it on their website, they mean it.

(nathan_nacu hope you don't that I'm always using you as an example to encourage BTEC students )
Oh I never mind😭 i love helping ppl who feel lost like i did
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hiya,

English Literature - 6
English Language - 6
Mathematics - 7
DT - 7
History - 9
Biology - 6
Chemistry - 5
Physics - 7
Citizenship - 7
Business - 5

Your GCSEs are fine, most RG unis only want 5 Grade 4s including maths and English.

If ur BTEC equivalents match the A-level equivalents then believe me you will be fine at every RG. Plus ur doing 2 A levels with ur BTEC, that combination is accepted by almost every RG uni even the London ones! I know someone who got an interview from Cambridge with a BTEC and 2 A levels so you’ll be fine really. Aside from Nottingham I’m not aware of any RG uni that wouldn’t accept those qualifications and grades so you’ll be fine believe me! I got 4 RG offers for Law in 10 days with only 1 A level and my CTEC and its in Science 😭😂😂😂
Aztec Chic
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My friend goes to Southampton and only did btecs, Health and Social Care to be precise
thatcollegegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by nathan_nacu)
Your GCSEs are fine, most RG unis only want 5 Grade 4s including maths and English.

If ur BTEC equivalents match the A-level equivalents then believe me you will be fine at every RG. Plus ur doing 2 A levels with ur BTEC, that combination is accepted by almost every RG uni even the London ones! I know someone who got an interview from Cambridge with a BTEC and 2 A levels so you’ll be fine really. Aside from Nottingham I’m not aware of any RG uni that wouldn’t accept those qualifications and grades so you’ll be fine believe me! I got 4 RG offers for Law in 10 days with only 1 A level and my CTEC and its in Science 😭😂😂😂
That's awesome, thank you. It's history I want to do as well so hopefully shouldn't be an issue since I'm doing that at A Level as well as Pol
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's awesome, thank you. It's history I want to do as well so hopefully shouldn't be an issue since I'm doing that at A Level as well as Pol
It definitely won’t ! Just make sure to do your research to verify things. You’ll probably be fine
thatcollegegirl
Rep:
?
(Original post by nathan_nacu)
It definitely won’t ! Just make sure to do your research to verify things. You’ll probably be fine
BTECs seem to be more common these days. Although most tend to be all or nothing where they either do A Levels or BTECs, I'm glad I do both.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
BTECs seem to be more common these days. Although most tend to be all or nothing where they either do A Levels or BTECs, I'm glad I do both.
I remember reading some time ago that about 20% of students going to universities had BTEC. PQ will probably correct me over that but that is what I seem to remember although at my age my memory is not too good. However there is anti BTEC snobbery here, generally and in schools. As I remember Cambridge dont accept them but Oxford do and it is one of the London universities that doesnt and possibly some in Scotland. As far as I know every other university does. They dont for Medicine and sometimes Neuro science and for lots of science courses a specific A level usually Chemistry is required as well as the Applied Science BTEC because it is more generalised than having the depth of A level Chemistry. Quite often for Economics, Engineering or Computer Science A level Maths is needed as well but it is also generally required if you take A levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.3%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.95%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.54%
I'm really nervous (58)
20.21%

Watched Threads