The Student Room Group

Mechanical principles

The compound gearbox illustrated below consists of 5 gears of which 2, ‘B’ and ‘C’ are on the same shaft. If gear ‘A’ drives the system at 500 rev/min (clockwise) and the number of teeth, N, are as indicated in Figure B1, Determine:
a) The angular velocity of gear ‘E’ in rev/min and its direction. (8 Marks)
b) The ratio of the gear system. (3 Marks)
If the input power is 60 kW and the gearbox has an efficiency of 75% determine the following:
Total marks for this question -25
c) The input torque.
d) The output power.
e) The output torque.
f) The holding torque.
A=25 teeth
B=40 teeth C=18 teeth
D=75 teeth E=120 teeth
Original post by duly0509
The compound gearbox illustrated below consists of 5 gears of which 2, ‘B’ and ‘C’ are on the same shaft. If gear ‘A’ drives the system at 500 rev/min (clockwise) and the number of teeth, N, are as indicated in Figure B1, Determine:
a) The angular velocity of gear ‘E’ in rev/min and its direction. (8 Marks)
b) The ratio of the gear system. (3 Marks)
If the input power is 60 kW and the gearbox has an efficiency of 75% determine the following:
Total marks for this question -25
c) The input torque.
d) The output power.
e) The output torque.
f) The holding torque.
A=25 teeth
B=40 teeth C=18 teeth
D=75 teeth E=120 teeth

Hi, what have you done? And there is no image of Figure B1.
Reply 2
It has already been submitted
It has already been submitted

Good to know that you have solved the problem. It is recommended that you share your working in future to get "fast help"
Reply 4
I never knew a single thing to do, I needed help with the full answer but I got a really slow reply
I never knew a single thing to do, I needed help with the full answer but I got a really slow reply

First of all, note that the helpers in TSR physics forum are volunteers NOT paid workers. If you want an immediate reply, it is better that you hire a private tutor. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest