Haribohlf
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi I’m in year 11 and want to go to university to study paramedic science and I’ve heard it’s really competitive I have a choice of doing A-levels ( Biology, Psychology and geography) or doing the health and social care level 3 extended diploma. I’m completely stuck on what to do and have heard people making fun of the BTECH and say you may have less of a chance over someone studying a-levels?? I have also heard it’s more for nursing corses I’m basically just really confused and stuck can anyone help with any experience or advice???? Xx
ayumie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Health and Social Care would be better for Nursing in comparison to Biology etc. but both are equally great! The A-Levels are much less coursework, with just final exams. Plus, paramedic science may require something like Biology. I’d suggest researching it and seeing the entry requirements.
Haribohlf
Rep:
?
Ok thank you it seems that they’re accepted but I know how competitive the course is and was wondering if there’s any bias towards A-levels
Eleanor2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi,its totally up to you. and whoever you have heard making fun of the BTECH just think there better. im in my first year of Health and Social care Extended Diploma BTECH course and i know people who are looking at studying paramedic science, and i know people who have previously done the BTECH course and are know paramedics. im not saying the BTECH course is better but make sure its an extended diploma as that will allow you to get on to courses likle the paramedic science. A-levels are good too. A-levels and BTECHs both have positives and negatives. but its tatally up to you. the biggest difference is BTECH is more coursework based and A-levels are Exam based. if you have an amazing memory but not very good at assignments (write ups) A-levels probably suit better but if you are not very good at exams but good at coursework or write ups BTECH might be better. BTECH also means you do a placement whilst A-levels often don't but its your choice. Basically im trying to saw dont favor one because people can be rude and unknowlegable. pick the one you thing you will achieve better in and enjoy more. hope that made some sense. and whatever you do im sure you'll be great. PS look at what entry levels you need at uni for the course you want if people tell you something and your not sure if it true. good luck
IkathleenI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Haribohlf)
Hi I’m in year 11 and want to go to university to study paramedic science and I’ve heard it’s really competitive I have a choice of doing A-levels ( Biology, Psychology and geography) or doing the health and social care level 3 extended diploma. I’m completely stuck on what to do and have heard people making fun of the BTECH and say you may have less of a chance over someone studying a-levels?? I have also heard it’s more for nursing corses I’m basically just really confused and stuck can anyone help with any experience or advice???? Xx
We’re literally in the same position. I want to do paramedic science at uni too and I’m torn between doing a levels or the level 3 health and social care.
Last edited by IkathleenI; 11 months ago
Eleanor2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
hi,
you guys do know if your really stuck you can apply for both and take time on your decision
IkathleenI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Eleanor2003)
hi,
you guys do know if your really stuck you can apply for both and take time on your decision
I’m already doing that aha. I applied to both at the start but I’m still torn.
Last edited by IkathleenI; 11 months ago
Haribohlf
Rep:
?
Thank you so much that’s so helpful, I’ve heard people talking about doing an a-level along side the extended diploma is this true dose it give you more of an advantage?? X
Haribohlf
Rep:
?
(Original post by IkathleenI)
I’m already doing that aha. I applied to both at the start but I’m still torn.
Yeah I’m in the exact same boat 😂 x
Elliet1908
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi! I'm currently a Year 12 Student doing the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, I too am hoping to go to university to study paramedic science. The health and social care course is definitely not just for people wanting to go into nursing. There are a fair few people in my group who want to become paramedics. Remember that like A levels, BTEC is hard, you do need to put in a lot of work to the assignments. I have researched lots of different universities the average grade that they want from BTEC Extended Diplomas' are 3 Distinctions (DDD), this is most definitely achievable, and is also likely to be flexible, all different abilities still go to university . I chose to do BTEC because I preferred to focus on one main subject rather than multiple, it is, so far a great course, you learn lots of different subjects including Psychology, Anatomy/Physiology, Development and much more, it is definitely a great course if you are looking to go into any Health career. I'm going to be starting my second year in September, and then hopefully off to university next year. Please definitely consider H&SC, as it's genuinely a very good course, and many universities will take it when you are applying. The general rule for BTEC's in university entry requirements are "Must contain sufficient Biology // health related subjects" which H&SC definitely does. Good luck, of course the choice is yours, just wanted to give you my input as someone doing H&SC and wants to become a Paramedic. As a side note, the BTEC course for H&SC will be different for you compared to me because they have changed the course starting Sept 2020, but it will still give the same opportunities when you apply in future
Elliet1908
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Thank you so much that’s so helpful, I’ve heard people talking about doing an a-level along side the extended diploma is this true dose it give you more of an advantage?? X
The full BTEC extended diploma is studied on its own, I think considering the workload, it'd be quite difficult to study an A level alongside the full H&SC diploma. There is another one thats like, a BTEC extended certificate in H&SC however its not the same course and I believe there's less coverage to what would be in the Diploma? But the Certificate is one you can take alongside an additional subject, but it'd (the certificate) come out as the equivalent of 1 A level I believe, so there wouldn't really be an advantage.
ilamy
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I’m in year 12 and i take biology, psychology and geography and i really enjoy it! I would recommend taking them incase you change your mind on what you want to do because i know a lot of people who have changed their minds. A level biology especially opens up many door to many different career paths but overall look into your current options and see what you will enjoy more as that’s one if the most important things :,)
Light Venom
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I studied BTEC in Applied Science and got D*D*D* and also have a degree in Paramedic Science . I also know many people on my course (not naming due to confidentiality) who got first class degrees in Paramedic Science from BTEC Diplomas. Honestly, the world is your oyster. Just make sure the University that you are applying for accepts that specific BTEC course since I remember 5 years ago that they excluded certain BTEC courses, so just check up on that (it's usually listed on there website), but if it isn't, then happy days.

For example St Georges University Paramedic Science Course accepts a Pearson BTEC Level 3 Extended National Diploma at DDM which must be either a science or healthcare subject. And since BTEC Health and Social care is a healthcare subject, then they would accept you subject to getting a conditional offer.

It's all up to you now which one you prefer, the BTEC or A level route.
Vam1970
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
My daughters friend has been given a place for paramedic and she did b tech, she did lots of Jobs and volunteering to improve her chances of being successful. I really don’t think it matters what you get, what is best for you?
I do think on courses that are competitive it’s what you do to stand out, E.g;
volunteering at old people’s homes, St Johns ambulance (pre Covid )
some people think b tech is easier as a lot of it is course work, so if you love exams A level may be better or if you like course work and hate exams do b tech.
Don’t worry what people say about b tech, who cares! you will still get on the course and once you have a degree no one cares about A levels 😊
I did an access course )like b tech)and I did A levels but the access course definitely prepared me better for my degree as you write essays in healthcare and that’s what you practice doing in b tech.
Last edited by Vam1970; 11 months ago
Kathrxn_xox
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I currently study a new course alongside a levels. Its a level 3 certificate/diploma in medical science. its pretty much a replacement of human biology and its so fun. I am considering being a paramedic and have talked to unis and they accept the subject as one of the required science subjects. Whatever you choose to do, both seem like a great option!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (187)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (545)
14.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (417)
11.19%
Lack of purpose or motivation (513)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (184)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.95%
Loneliness (313)
8.4%
Financial worries (138)
3.7%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.89%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (212)
5.69%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (333)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (351)
9.42%

Watched Threads