Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
I would wait until 18. Purely because you can then go out and clubbing and drinking, even if your not a big drinker it is nice to have the option to be able to get into all the places.
I'm appreciating where your priorities lie! That said, clubbing etc is definitely a rite-of-passage for many 1st years. Even though I was 18, I actually didn't do go clubbing but I was super active with societies, dinners, pub crawls and other events. Just to note for anyone a little anxious, if you're not keen on alcohol, you have absolutely nothing to worry about - you'll be able to have an awesome time regardless! If you're partial to a drink, however, you'll also have a great time and will be able to take advantage of all the student club nights!

(Original post by StudentForSQA)
I’m going to 5th year this year in June but officially starting after the summer, however I guess you can say I’ve already started 5th year cause we are getting some higher work to do and I’ve even finished my creative essay for higher English which is worth 15% of the overall exam/grade. Once receiving my Nat five results this August, I would then in that month apply for Optometry at Glasgow Caledonian university. Once the year is completed I hope to achieve AABBB (I think I’ll achieve AAABC which is the same in ucas tarrif points as AABBB if that’s how you spell it 😂😂) After that I plan on going to Uni if I’m accepted. If I’m not accepted I’m planning to do either 1 AH and 2 highers or 2 AH’s and 1 higher. I think the only highest grade which would be a dream that I could get would be AAAAB in my highers, so I’ve made a study timetable everyday revising and hopefully I get the best results I think I can achieve.
That sounds really admirable and I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your upcoming results! :rambo: I think if you're really determined to go straight to university after S5, go for it! But, if you were on the fence, S6 could be a good idea to dabble in other subjects to see if there's something else you might want to consider. It would also definitely help in bridging the gap between the level of difficulty of S5 and 1st year of university. Moreover, even though this isn't a big issue, it might at first seem a little awkward when everyone introduces themselves and talks about S6 etc when you've just come from S5. Nothing major but just a small thing to look out for.

At the end of the day, what I'd recommend is doing whatever makes you happy and comfortable. There is no right choice; just a popular and not-so-popular choice. Go for whichever one you'd like and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Regarding your Highers, I'm happy to offer a hand for any subjects that I have a background in like English, foreign languages and social sciences (i.e. non-Science ones ). I might get rather busy from September onward, so if you need any help before that (especially with folios), message me anytime! :fluffy:
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 month ago
StudentForSQA
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
I'm appreciating where your priorities lie! That said, clubbing etc is definitely a rite-of-passage for many 1st years. Even though I was 18, I actually didn't do go clubbing but I was super active with societies, dinners, pub crawls and other events. Just to note for anyone a little anxious, if you're not keen on alcohol, you have absolutely nothing to worry about - you'll be able to have an awesome time regardless! If you're partial to a drink, however, you'll also have a great time and will be able to take advantage of all the student club nights!

That sounds really admirable and I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your upcoming results! :rambo: I think if you're really determined to go straight to university after S5, go for it! But, if you were on the fence, S6 could be a good idea to dabble in other subjects to see if there's something else you might want to consider. It would also definitely help in bridging the gap between the level of difficulty of S5 and 1st year of university. Moreover, even though this isn't a big issue, it might at first seem a little awkward when everyone introduces themselves and talks about S6 etc when you've just come from S5. Nothing major but just a small thing to look out for.

At the end of the day, what I'd recommend is doing whatever makes you happy and comfortable. There is no right choice; just a popular and not-so-popular choice. Go for whichever one you'd like and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Regarding your Highers, I'm happy to offer a hand for any subjects that I have a background in like English, foreign languages and social sciences (i.e. non-Science ones ). I might get rather busy from September onward, so if you need any help before that (especially with folios), message me anytime! :fluffy:
Thanks! Also thanks for saying I can ask for help anytime! Also, I think this is good since the A’s that I’ve predicated (or aiming for) are in my sciences and the B is in Maths (or A if I work really hard) and the C I predict is in English (although I got an A in my nat five prelim and my teacher has given my estimate for nat five English also being A, I think I won’t be able to get a B in higher English :/).
StudentForSQA
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
I see, sounds like a bit of a tricky situation :sadnod: If the stuff in the fridge is a deal breaker, there is usually the option of 'studio' accommodation - where you have an ensuite and a mini kitchen in your room - this does come at an extra cost though. Would staying at home and commuting be an option for you based on where you'd like to study/where you live?
It's really tricky when there's things that are in conflict with each other, especially where both are important to you
Thinking more broadly, is there maybe another family that you know where they have been in a similar situation with one of their children moving out to go to uni? If your parents can see that another family have been able to both follow their faith and also support their child's decision to go to uni, they might be more open to the idea? It's normal for parents to have some concerns with such big life events, but speaking (virtually for now of course!) to others that have been through it might put their minds at ease

Just had a look to see if there's an official rep, but don't think there is unfortunately (the account that does exist hasn't been active for a few years ) - is there something specific you wanted to know and I can see if I can find an answer?

No problem at all - happy to help
Hi! Thanks for the advice and solutions! I will definitely consider studio accommodation. No one else in my family (who live in Scotland as the rest are in Ireland) have been to uni as they have either taken a different path, or are younger than me. My family in Ireland some of my cousins have, but they didn’t live near their campus. Also the question I asked for the Glasgow Caledonian rep was just a matter of interest. Thanks!
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by StudentForSQA)
Hi! Thanks for the advice and solutions! I will definitely consider studio accommodation. No one else in my family (who live in Scotland as the rest are in Ireland) have been to uni as they have either taken a different path, or are younger than me. My family in Ireland some of my cousins have, but they didn’t live near their campus. Also the question I asked for the Glasgow Caledonian rep was just a matter of interest. Thanks!
No problem Happy to help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (24)
8.92%
Confident (32)
11.9%
Indifferent (46)
17.1%
Unsure (70)
26.02%
Worried (97)
36.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise