need advice- dark thoughts

Watch
lolly_123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
ive been struggling with anxiety and low mood for over 2 yrs now, and alot has happened recenty, when i feel really low at times it feels so draining and exhausting and it feels like ive felt this way for too long and i get thoughts like this feeling is going to go on forever and i just feel trapped, i need advice on being open with ceratin thoughts because i really struggle to reach out profesionally and speak about this issue in particular, and recently these toughts have become more frequent, any advice is much appreciated x
TheCoolBro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Do you have any close family or friends you can be open with?
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You should see a GP if you haven't.

As the above user stated, talk to somone you trust about this.

You can talk to the samiritans on 116 123.
PAPYRUS-UK
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by lolly_123)
ive been struggling with anxiety and low mood for over 2 yrs now, and alot has happened recenty, when i feel really low at times it feels so draining and exhausting and it feels like ive felt this way for too long and i get thoughts like this feeling is going to go on forever and i just feel trapped, i need advice on being open with ceratin thoughts because i really struggle to reach out profesionally and speak about this issue in particular, and recently these toughts have become more frequent, any advice is much appreciated x
Hey @lolly_123 firstly well done for reaching out on here and identifying that you could benefit from being open about how you are feeling. It's so easy to fall into the trap of 'ignoring it until it goes away' and before you know it two years have gone by.

Anxiety and low mood is a horrible combination to be living with.

Do you know what it is about professional support that makes you feel reluctant to access it?

There are services that you can contact anonymously, maybe that could be a good first step for you?

As the Previous reply said you could try Samaritans.

You can also contact us at Papyrus for help and maybe help you find somewhere for more long term support: https://papyrus-uk.org/

You could try: https://www.supportline.org.uk/

For advice specific to anxiety there are: http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/ and https://www.nopanic.org.uk/

Hope that helps

Socrates
lolly_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Analyst89)
You should see a GP if you haven't.

As the above user stated, talk to somone you trust about this.

You can talk to the samiritans on 116 123.
yeah I've spoken to my mum briefly and a few friends, and i got referred to therapy its just that during therapy i struggle to be honest and be open
Ameba
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
yeah I've spoken to my mum briefly and a few friends, and i got referred to therapy its just that during therapy i struggle to be honest and be open
Do you feel a connection to your therapist? Don't feel like you have to answer if it's too personal
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
Try living with it that and depression with the combination of loss because friends have committed suicide. I know what you are feeling
lolly_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by PAPYRUS-UK)
Hey @lolly_123 firstly well done for reaching out on here and identifying that you could benefit from being open about how you are feeling. It's so easy to fall into the trap of 'ignoring it until it goes away' and before you know it two years have gone by.

Anxiety and low mood is a horrible combination to be living with.

Do you know what it is about professional support that makes you feel reluctant to access it?

There are services that you can contact anonymously, maybe that could be a good first step for you?

As the Previous reply said you could try Samaritans.

You can also contact us at Papyrus for help and maybe help you find somewhere for more long term support: https://papyrus-uk.org/

You could try: https://www.supportline.org.uk/

For advice specific to anxiety there are: http://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/ and https://www.nopanic.org.uk/

Hope that helps

Socrates
thanks for the advice, I would like to contact anonymously but im unsure of how to do that
PAPYRUS-UK
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
thanks for the advice, I would like to contact anonymously but im unsure of how to do that
lolly_123

It is great to hear that you would like to give getting some support a go- this takes a huge amount of strength and determination so well done!

There are lots of ways to get in touch with HOPELINEUK - we have a helpline and a text and email service. When you speak to or message HOPELINEUK the Suicide Prevention Adviser doesn't see your contact details; the only information about you they have is what you choose to share. If you want more information about the service you might find it helpful to have a look through the FAQs on the website. What do you think?

Rachel :flower:
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
I can totally relate to this as well, feeling exhausted and drained
username5283910
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
In my experience you need to be taken seriously by a GP. They can ignore symptoms for years and though recorded in medical history they don't always do the right thing and need a little help from another professional.

Two years is a long time to lose quality of life, go by yourself or with someone supportive and request a referral to a consultant psychiatrist who can diagnose and treat any underlying causes for your symptoms.

It's not a Dr s fault if you say depression or anxiety they prescribe medications based on this in a small window, you need a professional to help you. You do not want to wait any longer, 2 years is a long time and this shouldn't be apart of your daily life. It's not fair or normal, we are all different but you can try and get it alleviated.
lolly_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Iforgetiwasbored)
In my experience you need to be taken seriously by a GP. They can ignore symptoms for years and though recorded in medical history they don't always do the right thing and need a little help from another professional.

Two years is a long time to lose quality of life, go by yourself or with someone supportive and request a referral to a consultant psychiatrist who can diagnose and treat any underlying causes for your symptoms.

It's not a Dr s fault if you say depression or anxiety they prescribe medications based on this in a small window, you need a professional to help you. You do not want to wait any longer, 2 years is a long time and this shouldn't be apart of your daily life. It's not fair or normal, we are all different but you can try and get it alleviated.
thanks, i just struggle opening up
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sounds odd, but have you told your therapist that? It sounds important.

(Original post by Anonymous)
Try living with it that and depression with the combination of loss because friends have committed suicide. I know what you are feeling
Sorry to hear you've lost friends to suicide. Might be worth looking into bereavement counselling, suicide loss is hugely traumatic and you don't have to deal with it alone.
lolly_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ameba)
Do you feel a connection to your therapist? Don't feel like you have to answer if it's too personal
shes nice and im okay with her its just that i dont know how to phrase the issue
PAPYRUS-UK
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
lolly_123

Opening up to you GP can be so tough. If you're finding it hard to work out what you want to talk about or if you worry you might forget something important I'd recommend using Doc Ready to help you prepare for your appointments.

Rachel :flower:
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Sorry to hear you've lost friends to suicide. Might be worth looking into bereavement counselling, suicide loss is hugely traumatic and you don't have to deal with it alone.
I know, I suffered from ptsd for a few months after
Pathway
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I know, I suffered from ptsd for a few months after
Sorry to hear that. Has it improved? I still struggle with the grief losing a few of my friends to suicide caused. I had complex PTSD before this all happened though so idk.
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Sorry to hear that. Has it improved? I still struggle with the grief losing a few of my friends to suicide caused. I had complex PTSD before this all happened though so idk.
I’m fine now, it gradually went away
FV75
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
shes nice and im okay with her its just that i dont know how to phrase the issue
Therapists are totally used to people not quite knowing how to describe or explain things; it's hard to explain feelings!

Just try the best you can (even if it's just a little part of how you feel) and she should help you with the rest. If it helps, draw a picture or diagram, find an image or story or piece of art that represents how you feel, or just write it all down without worrying about trying to get it in the right order or making sense, and show it to your therapist (if you can, I know that might be tricky at the moment).

Source: I used to be a therapist, and my clients used all of these methods and many more (tattoos!) to help to explain their feelings when words don't seem enough.
Last edited by FV75; 5 months ago
lolly_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by FV75)
Therapists are totally used to people not quite knowing how to describe or explain things; it's hard to explain feelings!

Just try the best you can (even if it's just a little part of how you feel) and she should help you with the rest. If it helps, draw a picture or diagram, find an image or story or piece of art that represents how you feel, or just write it all down without worrying about trying to get it in the right order or making sense, and show it to your therapist (if you can, I know that might be tricky at the moment).

Source: I used to be a therapist, and my clients used all of these methods and many more (tattoos!) to help to explain their feelings when words don't seem enough.
thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (99)
13.32%
I'm not sure (32)
4.31%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (231)
31.09%
I have already dropped out (18)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (363)
48.86%

Watched Threads