The Student Room Group

Laptop for uni

Hi, I will be starting uni in september and i was wondering if I need a laptop for it. I have a desktop, however would I need a laptop in classes and stuff and would it be more handy? as I will be staying at home during uni and will be travelling by train.

Thanks
I'd say it's an essential - some lecturers at my uni don't give printouts and expect students to bring laptops so they can access slides in class, complete online quizzes during, and other things. Between class you have the libraries to go to and again the PC space is so limited that you'll regret not having a laptop with you. Teamwork can also be popular at uni, and a laptop in team meetings is again important.

Plus, you'll be able to work on the train.

Not to say it's impossible, but it's often assumed you have one.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I will be starting uni in september and i was wondering if I need a laptop for it. I have a desktop, however would I need a laptop in classes and stuff and would it be more handy? as I will be staying at home during uni and will be travelling by train.

Thanks

Hey!

Although there are some students who don't use laptops, tablets etc and just stick to pen and paper, honestly I would personally say it was a key/essential item. If you can afford one, I would definitely suggest investing in one, it will save you so much hassle.

For me, one of the best things about having a laptop is that when I'm in lectures I can look at the slides on my laptop regardless of whether the lecturer has moved on or not (which happens a lot), so I don't miss anything and have to faff around after the lecture to catch up. Plus, as already mentioned, you'll be able to use it on the train which will give you something to do! Also, when you actually need one for some reason or another, like in the library, or for some group work etc, you won't have to rely on borrowing them from the university (if that's even an option) or try and get a desktop at the library.

Hope that helps a little! :smile:

Courtney - Official Student Rep :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hey!

Although there are some students who don't use laptops, tablets etc and just stick to pen and paper, honestly I would personally say it was a key/essential item. If you can afford one, I would definitely suggest investing in one, it will save you so much hassle.

For me, one of the best things about having a laptop is that when I'm in lectures I can look at the slides on my laptop regardless of whether the lecturer has moved on or not (which happens a lot), so I don't miss anything and have to faff around after the lecture to catch up. Plus, as already mentioned, you'll be able to use it on the train which will give you something to do! Also, when you actually need one for some reason or another, like in the library, or for some group work etc, you won't have to rely on borrowing them from the university (if that's even an option) or try and get a desktop at the library.

Hope that helps a little! :smile:

Courtney - Official Student Rep :smile:

Original post by Diplomatic
I'd say it's an essential - some lecturers at my uni don't give printouts and expect students to bring laptops so they can access slides in class, complete online quizzes during, and other things. Between class you have the libraries to go to and again the PC space is so limited that you'll regret not having a laptop with you. Teamwork can also be popular at uni, and a laptop in team meetings is again important.

Plus, you'll be able to work on the train.

Not to say it's impossible, but it's often assumed you have one.

Thank you for the reply. I have applied for student finance such as maintanance loan and grant. do you think its a good idea to use that money towards buying a laptop and do a lot of students do so? Since I wont be living in accomodation, i will only be using the money for transport.

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for the reply. I have applied for student finance such as maintanance loan and grant. do you think its a good idea to use that money towards buying a laptop and do a lot of students do so? Since I wont be living in accomodation, i will only be using the money for transport.

Thanks

Hey!

If you have worked out your finances for travel and have enough money left to buy yourself a laptop then I think that's a great idea!
It will enhance your learning which is what is important at uni :smile:

A lot of students spend their loans buying resources to help them succeed as well as food and accommodation etc for those that live at uni

I hope this helps!
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending