The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

How diverse is Sheffield University?

Possibly going to apply, was wondering how diverse it is in terms of BAME?
I grew up in a mega small white town and was usually one of 2 or 3 black people in my grade so for me it's by far the most diverse place I've ever lived. Had no trouble making friends that looked like me and didn't have too many experiences of egregious racism in my 4 years there. If you're coming from London then yeah it won't be as diverse but overall I thought it was still really good
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Thats good to hear. I'm from London so I do expect it to be much less diverse though. In the halls you stayed in for first year, was there a fair mix of different ethnic groups?
Reply 3
From experience, it really depends. In my first year, I lived with people of all the same ethnicity, but my course is so diverse in terms of BAME. Admittedly, Sheffield was my insurance, so I got little choice about who I lived with, and the flat was full of people who also had Sheffield as their insurance option. Most flats from what I could tell had a good mix of BAME and genders, mine was kind of an exception. On my course we do loads of group work, and I am yet to do a group project where I have been with all white people for example. There are also loads of cultural and nationality societies, which may apply to you, but also other societies where you can meet new people.

I wouldn't say you should be worried too much about the diversity in Sheffield, sure it is no London, but it is pretty diverse for the North. If you did ever encounter discrimination, report it straight away, it would be taken very seriously for sure. Not that I have ever heard of any occurrences of discrimination.
Reply 4
I'm applying for accounting and financial management. Do you know how diverse the students at the business school are?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending