The Student Room Group
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website

Animation applicant

I'm an international student and I'm planning to apply for 3D Animation course. But I don't know if it's good enough. Please give me a feedback and tell me where could I improve.

This is the link to it:
https://doanhthu07062002.wixsite.com/website
Reply 1
Your fundamentals seem to be very strong, but it'd be great to see some 2-5 minute gestural figure studies where you study the overall motion and movement of the figure more. Going to in-person life drawing sessions is a great way to do this since most will have timed poses (My local life drawing club does divides a session into a handful of 5 minute poses at first, then a few 15 minute poses, and then a couple of 30 minute poses), which you can focus on different levels of detail, lighting and gesture with. I used to think life drawing sessions could only be found in London, but after some quick searching around on Facebook I found a number of different weekly groups very local to me. Nearby universities or art schools might also host life drawing sessions that are open to the public.

Since you plan on applying to a 3D animation course, it's probably also a good idea to familiarise yourself with 3D modelling and animation software packages now. This is something your interviewers will be looking for as, if you're applying for 3D animation, it'd be unfortunate to find that you don't enjoy working in 3D digitally only when you join the course, and if you begin learning the fundamentals of digital 3D now, you'll be at an advantage when you are taught the software during the course. Speaking from my own experience from learning 3D, it requires a different kind of mindset to 2D, but once you get past the initial hurdles of understanding many, many technical terms and how things work, it becomes a lot more enjoyable and expressive. You could, if you want, pick up the student version of Maya, but given I think Autodesk have been switching around how the student license works and who's eligible for it, it might be a good idea to give Blender a go, since it's completely free and will be able to introduce you to much of the fundamentals of 3D, even if you switch to Maya at a later date. Best of luck!
Students outside, University of Hertfordshire
University of Hertfordshire
Hatfield
Visit website
In your portfolio, you wrote under your horse sculpture, “Sculpting definitely not my talent”

Some advice that I was told by an animation lecturer from me to you: “Never tell anyone your work is not good, because they might think it’s fantastic, but then have doubt when they see you say that the work isn’t good, or to your standards”

It’s good to talk through your process of the work, but never show doubt or criticism towards yourself when showing off your portfolio, or others will have criticism towards you! Which you don’t want others to see when applying for a course such as this one!

It’s better to be confident! :smile: Even if you think the work isn’t good!
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending