LSE Msc Applicable Mathematics or WBS Financial Mathematics

Watch
CaiusMartius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi,

Am looking to break into quantitative finance (currently finishing up an undergrad in maths). Any idea on which would be more sought after?

My mindset is LSE> Warwick but Warwick Maths > LSE Maths, so not entirely sure which to go for.
ParagonProxy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by CaiusMartius)
Hi,

Am looking to break into quantitative finance (currently finishing up an undergrad in maths). Any idea on which would be more sought after?

My mindset is LSE> Warwick but Warwick Maths > LSE Maths, so not entirely sure which to go for.
First, congratulations on your offers!

You hit it on the head.

Warwick is one of the "Big 4" Mathematics research departments in the UK (Alongside Oxbridge and Imperial) and have one of the more capable and prolific research groups in Quantitative Finance (See their Stochastic Finance research group). You have to bear in mind that the hiring managers typically have PhDs from top mathematical/statistical research departments and they, much like yourself, will view Warwick as being better than LSE.

Checking this particular LSE course, there is little coverage of applied areas of finance and few modules to even study. For example, it is possible for you to focus on time-series analysis, however you would have to sacrifice studying econometrics. You can say the same for Stochastic-related items or Risk. Given that Quant interviews can vary massively in topic (XVA Quant vs Market Risk Strat vs Quant Trader etc...) I would not recommend going for a course with such limited scope unless you already know what you want.

In my own Quant interviews, the vast majority of (UK) candidates are from Oxford, Imperial and Warwick with UCL coming closely behind and Cambridge thereafter. LSE does not have any strong representation, however that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. It can equally be a reflection of their limited spaces on their Quant-related courses compared to the others.

I am sure you will do well whichever course you end up choosing regardless.

Hope that helps,

Paragon
CaiusMartius
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by ParagonProxy)
First, congratulations on your offers!

You hit it on the head.

Warwick is one of the "Big 4" Mathematics research departments in the UK (Alongside Oxbridge and Imperial) and have one of the more capable and prolific research groups in Quantitative Finance (See their Stochastic Finance research group). You have to bear in mind that the hiring managers typically have PhDs from top mathematical/statistical research departments and they, much like yourself, will view Warwick as being better than LSE.

Checking this particular LSE course, there is little coverage of applied areas of finance and few modules to even study. For example, it is possible for you to focus on time-series analysis, however you would have to sacrifice studying econometrics. You can say the same for Stochastic-related items or Risk. Given that Quant interviews can vary massively in topic (XVA Quant vs Market Risk Strat vs Quant Trader etc...) I would not recommend going for a course with such limited scope unless you already know what you want.

In my own Quant interviews, the vast majority of (UK) candidates are from Oxford, Imperial and Warwick with UCL coming closely behind and Cambridge thereafter. LSE does not have any strong representation, however that doesn't necessarily mean they are bad. It can equally be a reflection of their limited spaces on their Quant-related courses compared to the others.

I am sure you will do well whichever course you end up choosing regardless.

Hope that helps,

Paragon
Hi Paragon,

Thanks a lot for your response (echoed a lot of internal thoughts that I had that I wasn't sure on).

Much appreciated!
heythereitsmee
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi guys,
Just to add to the above discussion, would you have the same view on the MSc Business analytics course as well at both the universities?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads