I'm completing a foundation course this year and can't decide between uni courses?

Watch
Vanessa:)
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I'll soon be completing a science foundation course. I wanted to dietetics and nutrition, but now I'm thinking about doing psychology. I wanted to do dietetics and nutrition because I find keeping healthy with what we eat very important, and as a dietician I would like to work in a hospital and help others. But I'm quite a quiet person and I'm not sure if having a job like this would suit me( I don't really like working in big groups, but maybe this is something I can overcome).
However I also really like psychology and I really really take pleasure in helping others seeing things in other points of views.
So I'm really unsure of which path to take!
Miithun
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If you really interested in psychology you
Want to take that course
Dnt think about working in grouply and all
It will alright when go through that course
You really free to group work
ldn7601
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Vanessa:))
I'll soon be completing a science foundation course. I wanted to dietetics and nutrition, but now I'm thinking about doing psychology. I wanted to do dietetics and nutrition because I find keeping healthy with what we eat very important, and as a dietician I would like to work in a hospital and help others. But I'm quite a quiet person and I'm not sure if having a job like this would suit me( I don't really like working in big groups, but maybe this is something I can overcome).
However I also really like psychology and I really really take pleasure in helping others seeing things in other points of views.
Hey I’m a first year nutrition student and I’m doing nutrition and dietetics next year. I used to be quite reserved and shy and wondered how I’d cope working in nhs settings and in big groups but now I’ve been in uni for a year I’ve come out of my shell completely and this has enabled me to get a space on the course as dietetics is quite competitive if you didn’t already know. I also wanted to do psychology and actually almost changed to psychology before I started first year nutrition. These are some things to consider from my point of view:
•psychology is easier to get onto, but to become a psychologist you have to complete lots of postgraduate study. Psychology is a very oversubscribed field and people who do only bsc often work in a job unrelated to psychology
•psychology needs you to be very good at communicating. If you were to be a counsellor you would have to work in a big multidisciplinary team, just like a dietitian would.
•both psychology and dietetics would enable you to help people and see people’s lives change after your help, which is extremely rewarding
•dietetics is competitive and requires an interview before the course. But once you have a degree in dietetics you are almost guaranteed a job, unlike psychology
•you could pursue a career in just nutrition, this might mean you get to study the interest of nutrition but maybe be in a job more suited to you if you really don’t like big group work, such as a freelance nutritionist.

If you have any questions about nutrition or nutrition and dietetics application process then I am happy to help
Elibr01
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Vanessa:))
Hey!
Ive also just about completed my access course and I am hoping to get into dietetics! I am also very very quiet and shy and wonder wether this would be good for me but it’s what I want to do and it’s very interesting. I believe that as we grow up we will begin to gain that confidence that we need to be great at our jobs! I’m certain that you will overcome it - I’m exactly like you and I wanna break that fear that I will be no good because I’m very quiet but that’s the point of placements!
as for psychology, I also find it very interesting but didn’t do it at a level so it worries me! However usually in dietetics, there is some psychology involved as dieticians also deal with a variety of people and psychology is a part of our job too!
You could go down either route! But don’t rush into a choice at the end of the day it’s about what you want to do and what you believe you will enjoy most!
where have you applied to ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.18%
I'm not sure (26)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.74%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (267)
47.34%

Watched Threads