The Student Room Group

I still don't see how this is fair

How is it fair that some students won't get the grade they clearly deserve due to exam boards being able to change grades if they don't fit their statistical tests?

The current Y13s were also the first to do the majority of the new 9-1 GCSEs, making previous data even more unreliable when comparing to this year.

They need to be clear how they will use their stats and how willing they are going to be to change our grades.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Treetop321
How is it fair that some students won't get the grade they clearly deserve due to exam boards being able to change grades if they don't fit their statistical tests?

The current Y13s were also the first to do the majority of the new 9-1 GCSEs, making previous data even more unreliable when comparing to this year.

They need to be clear how they will use their stats and how willing they are going to be to change our grades.

How do you mean clearly deserve?
The exam board has always decided and moderated grades.
Are you saying you know better than the exam board?
Why not give everyone 3x A*?
I dont believe you understand how exam boards work.
If I were in current Y13 I would be delighted top have avoided most revision, exams and the waiting delight that is A levels. This years Y 13 are very lucky and have been generously compensated compared to those who have sat the exams.

In contrast the treatment of private candidates and resit students is outrageous.
Original post by 999tigger
If I were in current Y13 I would be delighted top have avoided most revision, exams and the waiting delight that is A levels. This years Y 13 are very lucky and have been generously compensated compared to those who have sat the exams.

In contrast the treatment of private candidates and resit students is outrageous.

Such a narrow way off looking at it. Working hard for two years and then having to leave school/sixth form so suddenly and people not feeling that they have the chance to prove themselves is unfair.

The only lucky Y13s are the ones that work hard throughout the two years. We all know this isn't the case for everyone and that some people work a lot harder for the actual exams. Work that we didn't know would be used for grades is being used for our grades. Tell me how any of that is generous or lucky.
The only lucky Y13s are the ones that work hard throughout the two years. We all know this isn't the case for everyone and that some people work a lot harder for the actual exams. Work that we didn't know would be used for grades is being used for our grades. Tell me how any of that is generous or lucky.

Why wouldnt you work hard throughout the year? Its a strategy you choose. You can still sit the exams. Loads of people are going to get great grades without having to do the revision or sit an exam or having to wait, all the most demanding parts of A level.

You could opt to be treated like the resit candidates and then you might moan less.

I thought you were moaning about the expertise of the exam boards to moderate exam grades because that is their job.
Why wouldnt you work hard throughout the year? Its a strategy you choose. You can still sit the exams. Loads of people are going to get great grades without having to do the revision or sit an exam or having to wait, all the most demanding parts of A level.

You could opt to be treated like the resit candidates and then you might moan less.

I thought you were moaning about the expertise of the exam boards to moderate exam grades because that is their job.

There are a number of reasons why people can't work hard throughout the entire two years. Yes, you can still sit the exams, but you can't go to university this year. Some people are going to get good grades, but what about the others? Do they not matter? Just because some are treated worse doesn't mean we can ignore everything else.
There are a number of reasons why people can't work hard throughout the entire two years. Yes, you can still sit the exams, but you can't go to university this year. Some people are going to get good grades, but what about the others? Do they not matter? Just because some are treated worse doesn't mean we can ignore everything else.

Welcome to the life of the private candidate who wont even have chance at calculated grades.

What is it Treetop wants?
What is it that will make you happy?
Welcome to the life of the private candidate who wont even have chance at calculated grades.

What is it Treetop wants?
What is it that will make you happy?

Genuinely, I like what you say on this forum normally but tonight you’re talking rubbish and being quite disrespectful. If you want me to be narrow-minded I’ll say, private candidates just go to school as normal.
Original post by mattlcfc
Genuinely, I like what you say on this forum normally but tonight you’re talking rubbish and being quite disrespectful. If you want me to be narrow-minded I’ll say, private candidates just go to school as normal.

You will need to explain why.
Are you treetop?
What is it you want?
Your last sentence makes no sense.
Reply 9

This is very naive. The reason why people don't work hard until it comes to the real thing is because they don't have to. If we had effective curriculum's and not just memory tests where one can just revise the week before each exam and get an A/A*, people would be forced to work hard throughout the two years, if they wanted a good grade. The current situation has put all of these people into the same category of people who don't work hard for the real thing either and get very low grades. Thus, the only people coming out with A/A*s will be people who worked hard since the start. Commendation to them, however many people of equal and superior intellect don't work for mocks and only achieve Bs or Cs despite having the ability to get top marks.
Original post by idk01
This is very naive. The reason why people don't work hard until it comes to the real thing is because they don't have to. If we had effective curriculum's and not just memory tests where one can just revise the week before each exam and get an A/A*, people would be forced to work hard throughout the two years, if they wanted a good grade. The current situation has put all of these people into the same category of people who don't work hard for the real thing either and get very low grades. Thus, the only people coming out with A/A*s will be people who worked hard since the start. Commendation to them, however many people of equal and superior intellect don't work for mocks and only achieve Bs or Cs despite having the ability to get top marks.

Then what would you like the exam board to do, give you all grade A*?
Such people followed a strategy of their own design which has caught them out.
I laugh at the fact you think I am the one being naive.
You will need to explain why.
Are you treetop?
What is it you want?
Your last sentence makes no sense.

I’ve explaining why above; which you ignored, probably because I made a sensible point.

I’d suggest you just sign out and chill out as you’re making a fool out off yourself tbh.
Reply 12
Your teachers are working to give you grades in line with your mocks/predictive grades. If you don’t get the grade you want, it’s literally because you don’t deserve it because your work through out the year hasn’t been up to that standard.
It’s an unfortunate circumstance but the fairest thing in this current situation.
Original post by mattlcfc
I’ve explaining why above; which you ignored, probably because I made a sensible point.

I’d suggest you just sign out and chill out as you’re making a fool out off yourself tbh.

No you havent.
Are you treetop using mutiple accounts?
All you have done is complained about life being unfair.
You havent said what you want.
You havent said how to resolve the situation in a fairer fashion.
You havent explained what your private comment even means.
Reply 14
Then what would you like the exam board to do, give you all grade A*?
Such people followed a strategy of their own design which has caught them out.
I laugh at the fact you think I am the one being naive.

Well you have completely misinterpreted what I said. I'm not saying giving everyone an A* is the solution; of course that's not fair either. Neither am I saying that I know what the right solution would be. I'm just trying to explain to you why year 13's are in an unfair position, relative to past year 13's. Also, I'm not a year 13, which you seem to have assumed.
Reply 15
Original post by lak19
Your teachers are working to give you grades in line with your mocks/predictive grades. If you don’t get the grade you want, it’s literally because you don’t deserve it because your work through out the year hasn’t been up to that standard.
It’s an unfortunate circumstance but the fairest thing in this current situation.

Do you not perhaps think that we should be blaming the government, rather than the students, for creating an education system that doesn't require students to work hard until the last minute? It's in our nature to exploit.
Original post by idk01
Do you not perhaps think that we should be blaming the government, rather than the students, for creating an education system that doesn't require students to work hard until the last minute? It's in our nature to exploit.

Not really. A levels have happened for decades.
If I were in that position now. I would be disappointed, but juts take the exams. I would be more annoyed at myself for following a strategy that didnt work. In contrast the private students dont even have a chance at a calculated grade.

I keep asking treetop what his solution would be, but he never answers just keeps going on how things are unfair and telling me i'm naive, when in fact a rule of life is to realise life is not always fair and unfair things happen. Exam boards are in a better position to moderate grades than the OP, it is their job.

Happy to hear about alternative solutions. I know what I would have done and have posted consistently during the time they were deciding.
Original post by idk01

Sit the exams then if you don't like the grades you get.
Reply 18
Original post by Muttley79
Sit the exams then if you don't like the grades you get.

Once again... assuming that just because I'm defending people in year 13 that must mean that I'm a salty year 13 kid who's never worked hard.
Reply 19
Not really. A levels have happened for decades.
If I were in that position now. I would be disappointed, but juts take the exams. I would be more annoyed at myself for following a strategy that didnt work. In contrast the private students dont even have a chance at a calculated grade.

I keep asking treetop what his solution would be, but he never answers just keeps going on how things are unfair and telling me i'm naive, when in fact a rule of life is to realise life is not always fair and unfair things happen. Exam boards are in a better position to moderate grades than the OP, it is their job.

Happy to hear about alternative solutions. I know what I would have done and have posted consistently during the time they were deciding.

I agree with you I would just get on with it and be annoyed with myself as well; I was just saying that I can see why they feel that it is unfair

Good to hear that you are proposing ideas, I have't given it much thought to be honest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending