Stevo1925
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
There seems to be a big difference in the salary of junior doctors in Scotland, and I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding something.

The salaries seem to be (Scotland - England)
FY1 24,991 vs 28,243
FY2 30,998 vs 32,691
ST1 34,388 vs 38,693
ST2 36,091 vs 38,693
ST3 37,795 vs 49,036
ST4 39,498 vs 49,036
ST5 41,552 vs 49,036
ST6 43,607 vs 58,398 (This increase to 58K will be from 2022 onwards)
ST7 45,663 vs 58,398
ST8 47,717 vs 58,398

I know that there is a difference in the way each country deals with weekends/unsocial hours, but this difference seems fairly large even with that in mind. An ST3 in England gets 49K whereas an ST3 in Scotland is on £37ish.

Can anyone tell me if I am missing something here?

Thanks
Advertisement
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Stevo1925)
...I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding something....
Can anyone tell me if I am missing something here?...
Yes you have.

Scotland still has banding and England doesn't.

In simple terms, Scotland junior doctors are still on the old junior doctors' contract.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5158294
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
Stevo1925
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes you have.

Scotland still has banding and England doesn't.

In simple terms, Scotland junior doctors are still on the old junior doctors' contract.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5158294
That has really helped, thanks!
ssu101
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Still seems like people on average would make more in England no? Also with the new 5th nodal point from ST6 and onwards, doctors will definitely earn a lot more in England. Is Scotland planning on adopting the newest contract?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Yeah the new contract definitely seems better in terms of pay. Baffles me why most junior doctors were vehemently opposed to its introduction.
Advertisement
huy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Due to banding a lot of juniors in Scotland get paid more than English counterparts. Certainly in F1 and F2. This may not be the case as you get more senior but clearly comes down to individual jobs.
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How much of an uplift to our English colleagues get for unsocial hours? Suppose for an FY1 who is starting out on a typical gen med, gen surg, random medical rotation. For us, that would be 50% banding - equating to 36k a year brought in. What would the equivalent in England make?
Advertisement
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm starting in Scotland as an F1 and was wondering if you knew roughly what the banding would be for T&O, urology and gen med?

thanks

(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
How much of an uplift to our English colleagues get for unsocial hours? Suppose for an FY1 who is starting out on a typical gen med, gen surg, random medical rotation. For us, that would be 50% banding - equating to 36k a year brought in. What would the equivalent in England make?
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I'm starting in Scotland as an F1 and was wondering if you knew roughly what the banding would be for T&O, urology and gen med?

thanks
Depends on your exact hospital, but it would typically be 50% - I would expect you to cover weekends and OOH for all of those specialties, +/- nights.
Advertisement
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
Depends on your exact hospital, but it would typically be 50% - I would expect you to cover weekends and OOH for all of those specialties, +/- nights.
Ah thanks, yeah they did specify that all of those jobs will have weekends and nights
Gouki
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is the 28k in England for 40 or 48 hours?

Because if it's the latter that's a pittance and approaching the pay of my part time job.
Advertisement
Smile88egc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Gouki)
Is the 28k in England for 40 or 48 hours?

Because if it's the latter that's a pittance and approaching the pay of my part time jobIt's
It's for 40 hours.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to switch especially with the 5th nodal point being introduced
Advertisement
Anonymous #4
Report 1 year ago
I'm an ST2 in Scotland and I get paid significantly more than what that table says. I'm not sure how much an ST2 in England would get paid on top of that figure for doing unsociable hours, but I'm on a job that is 50% banding (and have never hand a banding of less than 40%).
Anonymous #5
Report 1 year ago
Same as above, I’m an FY1 in Scotland, base salary of around £24000, but this year will have earned about £38000 ( two jobs 50%, current 80%) and actually one of those 50%s would have been 100% if everyone completed their monitoring!! My current rota is intense but I wouldn’t say I have had a horrendously busy year, so paid pretty well.
Starz678
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m an F2 on the old contract and come out with about £44000 this year (50% banding all year). My current rota is great and I hardly ever stay late.

Does the new contract come with some kind of uplift or is that listed about all you get ? If there is an uplift isn’t that a similar system to banding then?
manic_fuzz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Starz678)
I’m an F2 on the old contract and come out with about £44000 this year (50% banding all year). My current rota is great and I hardly ever stay late.

Does the new contract come with some kind of uplift or is that listed about all you get ? If there is an uplift isn’t that a similar system to banding then?
There is an uplift in a way but it itemises the pay into that for unsocial hours, weekend commitment, and hours above 40. I'm also an F2 on the new contract though and my current job is equivalent to £47.5k/year (but with 1 in 2 weekends). My last rotation had about 1 in 4-5 and was equivalent to £43.5k/year (with v. similar OOH work) so I imagine it's relatively comparable (especially in terms of net take home) for jobs with on-call commitments.
Advertisement
Hype en Ecosse
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by manic_fuzz)
There is an uplift in a way but it itemises the pay into that for unsocial hours, weekend commitment, and hours above 40. I'm also an F2 on the new contract though and my current job is equivalent to £47.5k/year (but with 1 in 2 weekends). My last rotation had about 1 in 4-5 and was equivalent to £43.5k/year (with v. similar OOH work) so I imagine it's relatively comparable (especially in terms of net take home) for jobs with on-call commitments.
Yup, this sounds very similar to what I earn as an F2 in Scotland as well. 45k for 50% banding throughout the year.
Corban Hart
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
alright,is helpful information
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (82)
26.03%
England (108)
34.29%
Belgium (27)
8.57%
Germany (37)
11.75%
Spain (5)
1.59%
Italy (28)
8.89%
Netherlands (10)
3.17%
Other (Tell us who) (18)
5.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise