What biological process causes new strains of pathogen to develop?

Watch
Helloihategsces
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
?welp
SudiT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Helloihategsces)
?welp
Isn't it just mutation?
HarisMalik98
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You could write a whole essay on this.

To try and keep it brief, pathogen evolution is governed by the Red-Queen Hypothesis.

Pathogens need to evolve and adapt faster than their host, whom is also undergoing adaption to prevent the pathogen infecting them. For this to work, the generation of genetic diversity within pathogen populations is key. The pathogens best adapted to survive in the host will be the 'fittest' and be selected for. These pathogens will eventually outgrow the 'less fit' wild-type - and emerge as new strains. The generation of genetic diversity is achieved by different processes:

In all Pathogens:
-Random Mutations (especially mutations at ANTIGENIC sites). As with all life, mutations provide the fuel for natural selection. Natural selection drives the selection for the 'fittest' strains. Mutations at antigenic sites may produce strains with immune-escape mutations or the ability to bind receptors in new species (cross-species transmission)

In Bacteria:
-Transformation (Uptake of naked DNA by competent Bacteria)
-Transduction (Introduction of new genes via phage-infection - these are called pathogenicity islands and often encode toxins and virulence factors)
-Conjugation (Exchange of genetic information via direct-contact e.g. a plasmid with an antibiotic resistance gene) - Horizontal Gene Transfer

In Viruses:
-Genetic Recombination - If multiple viruses infect the same cell, genomes can undergo recombination. Seen in many viral families - e.g. coronaviruses, COVID-19 may be a recombinant virus)
-Genetic Reassortment - In viruses with segmented genomes, e.g. influenza, if multiple viruses infect the same cell then different genomic segments can be reassorted into the progeny. Influenza is an orthomyxovirus and so replicates in the nucleus of cells. This allows the segments to get 'mixed-up' when packaging the progeny virions. This is called antigenic shift and is the cause of flu pandemics. E.g. swine flu was a reassortment H1N1 with human, porcine and avian segments.

Some Eukaryotic Pathogens (e.g. Fungi)
-Sexual reproduction (combination of parental genomes form a new genome) - Although this is not as common.

This is just brief, with limited examples. Look up more examples on google of each process and you will find extra information!
Last edited by HarisMalik98; 11 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (74)
38.34%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (30)
15.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (8)
4.15%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (20)
10.36%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (22)
11.4%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (20)
10.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
9.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed