trasool
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

Its my first Assistant Psychologist interview next week and I am very nervous. It is being done online with a panel of judges. I have been given a task to complete and make a powerpoint but I keep re doing it and keep doubting my answers.
I do not know if any of you have had similar task to complete in your interviews?
I have to prepare a 10 minute power point presentation on how i would plan my assessment and intervention with Anita based on the referral. I have to offer Psychotherapy to help with her anxiety and depression. A lady who lost her husband 5 years ago and is not anxious, does not like being around other people especially crowded places and suffered a number of panic attacks as a consequence.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok not an AP, but I did my MSc in clinical psych so might be able to offer some help!:

Perhaps think about the different psychotherapies? They're not a one size fits all.
Perhaps reflect on the referral process and what that means for the client. For example a self-referral may be handled differently than say from a CMHT.
Also reflect on the diagnosis or symptom cluster that would effect the type of therapy offered, make sure these are evidence based (such as EMDR not being validated for PTSD)
Make sure your approach is client focused - do they want intervention? What are their goals and expectations of treatment interventions?
Perhaps also think about the issues that could arise - ethical issues, perhaps they disclose abuse, or dual diagnosis criteria?
Also maybe a holistic view with some mention towards family support and how that can affect the client and their intervention
trasool
Rep:
?
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Ok not an AP, but I did my MSc in clinical psych so might be able to offer some help!:

Perhaps think about the different psychotherapies? They're not a one size fits all.
Perhaps reflect on the referral process and what that means for the client. For example a self-referral may be handled differently than say from a CMHT.
Also reflect on the diagnosis or symptom cluster that would effect the type of therapy offered, make sure these are evidence based (such as EMDR not being validated for PTSD)
Make sure your approach is client focused - do they want intervention? What are their goals and expectations of treatment interventions?
Perhaps also think about the issues that could arise - ethical issues, perhaps they disclose abuse, or dual diagnosis criteria?
Also maybe a holistic view with some mention towards family support and how that can affect the client and their intervention
Thank you so much for your help
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have interviewed my fair share of Assistant Psychologists in the past. Well done for getting an interview as they are ruthlessly competitive (to give you an example the last AP post I advertised had over 200 applicants in 24 hours).

I guess one thing to bear in mind is that APs aren't qualified or trained to deliver psychotherapy autonomously, so I would question that part. If the service is expecting you to fully offer therapy, and hold the attendant risk, that is quite dubious. More likely, you may be delivering a piece of work under the supervising psychologist, and reflecting on boundaries and limits of competency would be important. It's always alarming when APs turn up at interview thinking they can work at the level of consultant grade without any of the experience or training.

The other thing to remember is not to get hung up on getting the perfect answer, but balancing knowing your stuff and being able to reflect on what you bring as an individual to the table. The worst thing about sitting on an interview panel is hearing the same cookie cutter answers from one candidate after another, without getting a sense of the person's personality and style. In a rush to appear perfect, people strip away anything unique or memorable that often is the difference between being offered the post and being a runner up.
trasool
Rep:
?
Thank you for your answer and I will definitely keep that in mind.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.64%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (34)
16.11%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
27.01%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.43%

Watched Threads