The Student Room Group

How to break up with someone sensitive

I need to break up with my current boyfriend for several reasons but there are also many reasons why I shouldn't. The main reason for the breakup is that I still have feelings for my ex and I recently messaged him just to ask how he is and we started talking again (friendly, polite conversation).

I know if I my boyfriend was texting his ex I would be angry and upset, especially if he still had feelings for her and I would want to break up. I also know I'm not being loyal texting my ex so I feel like the best thing for everyone would be to end things.

The problem is, I've broken up with my boyfriend a few times in the past becuase of my ex (we've only been together about 6 months on/off) but the past 3 months we've been REALLY strong. He's a sensitive guy and he has always been faithful and loving to me. I just know I don't deserve him. Also he is having a hard time at home because his dad is an ******* and his parents are divorced. However, I can't help these feelings I still have for my ex, whether we decide to get back together or not, I don't want to continue texting my ex while I still have a boyfriend.

So my question is, how can I break up with someone for the fourth time?! I really don't want to hurt him but I feel like staying with him would be a cop-out/easy option when my heart is not fully in it. Also, I'm in a LDR and don't know when I'll see my boyfriend again. It's easier for me to imagine a future with my ex than with the current boyfriend, even though we've talked about marriage and having kids. It's just a fantasy I think because I don't know how it could work out realistically when he's in a different continent.

Right now, I'm in a good place with my boyfriend and we've been strong for the last few months like I said. But he doesn't know I've been texting my ex so I don't know how to break things off without it seeming like it's completely out of the blue?

Is it the right decision to break up or should I just cut off contact with my ex?
break up cos it aint good for your bf.
yo I feel sorry for your boyfriend. It's going to hurt him (if you do break-up). Do you fancy your boyfriend, do you genuinely like him, do you want to spend your future with him? If you can't answer yes 100% to those questions, then you need to end it yeah.

I ain't even going to lie, if a girl broke up with me, there would be no chance in hell that I'd be getting back with her. Surprised your bf has done it on multiple occasions tbh
Reply 3
Original post by medi-student
yo I feel sorry for your boyfriend. It's going to hurt him (if you do break-up). Do you fancy your boyfriend, do you genuinely like him, do you want to spend your future with him? If you can't answer yes 100% to those questions, then you need to end it yeah.

I ain't even going to lie, if a girl broke up with me, there would be no chance in hell that I'd be getting back with her. Surprised your bf has done it on multiple occasions tbh

Surely that depends on why she broke up with you? What if she had mental health problems and couldn't be in a relationship at that time, then she got better?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Surely that depends on why she broke up with you? What if she had mental health problems and couldn't be in a relationship at that time, then she got better?

is that the reason?
Reply 5
Original post by Ya_k
is that the reason?

It's the reason my ex broke up with me, yeah
Reply 6

Did they tell you that and apologise for it ?
Reply 7
Original post by Ya_k
is that the reason?

Original post by Ya_k
Did they tell you that and apologise for it ?

Yes. But this has nothing to do with my question.
So if I actually got the frame.
Your ex broke up with you because you had mental health issues. Now you are with a sensitive guy who you say is very lovely with you. But you feel like you are not sure that you like him because you want to get back with your ex, so you want to know how to end things with your current boyfriend for the fourth time.
Is it how it is?
Or am I off subject?

Always be 100% honest, no matter how sensitive the person is.

Latest

Trending

Trending