The Student Room Group

Abbreviations section to MSc dissertation - Good idea?

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to include an 'abbreviations' section at the end of my MSc dissertation (molecular genetics)? Preferably want an answer from a postgraduate+ :smile:

I am using numerous niche abbreviations throughout my dissertation. Obviously the first time I use them I use the full name, but recently I've been seeing PhD theses which include an abbreviation section at the start or end.

Would this be suitable for an MSc dissertation (approx 10,000 words), do you think?

Thanks
C
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi! Postgraduate here. What I did for my MSc in Drug design and biomedical science was to include an abbreviation section at the start of the dissertation, BUT I also used the full name the first time I used them, and it went really well for me.

If you have any other doubt I would however ask your supervisor as he/she will know best what is expected from you!

Good luck in your writing :wink:
Original post by CTLeafez
Do you guys think it would be a good idea to include an 'abbreviations' section at the end of my MSc dissertation (molecular genetics)? Preferably want an answer from a postgraduate+ :smile:

I am using numerous niche abbreviations throughout my dissertation. Obviously the first time I use them I use the full name, but recently I've been seeing PhD theses which include an abbreviation section at the start or end.

Would this be suitable for an MSc dissertation (approx 10,000 words), do you think?

Thanks
C

I had an abbreviations section at part of the 'front work' of my dissertation, so after my contents page but before my introduction. That way, the reader will know what to expect and what acronyms/abbreviations will appear. Being part of an appendix won't be as useful.

I think it's essential if your work contains more than 3 acronyms.
Reply 3
Original post by AlejandraRS
Hi! Postgraduate here. What I did for my MSc in Drug design and biomedical science was to include an abbreviation section at the start of the dissertation, BUT I also used the full name the first time I used them, and it went really well for me.

If you have any other doubt I would however ask your supervisor as he/she will know best what is expected from you!

Good luck in your writing :wink:

That's what I was thinking too - Abbreviation section but also in-text full name and abbreviation too.

Thank you for the response :smile:
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I had an abbreviations section at part of the 'front work' of my dissertation, so after my contents page but before my introduction. That way, the reader will know what to expect and what acronyms/abbreviations will appear. Being part of an appendix won't be as useful.

I think it's essential if your work contains more than 3 acronyms.

Oh I'll definitely have more than 3 acronyms in the dissertation! I was thinking of putting it directly after my contents page, before my abstract :smile:

thanks for the response

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending