The Student Room Group

Which unis should I consider

I've applied for computer science and maths joint degree and Ive been given offers from Durham and Leeds and not sure which to go for. Can anyone give any pros and cons and their opinions on these unis. my main thoughts are that Durham is probably the 'better' uni from reputation etc, but Leeds might be more fun and more of a social life and things outside the course. Also other uni recommendations would be good as I'm applying for 2021. I'm predicted 2 A*s and already have one in maths.
@znedd1 A question for you if you're around :smile:
Original post by pupral
I've applied for computer science and maths joint degree and Ive been given offers from Durham and Leeds and not sure which to go for. Can anyone give any pros and cons and their opinions on these unis. my main thoughts are that Durham is probably the 'better' uni from reputation etc, but Leeds might be more fun and more of a social life and things outside the course. Also other uni recommendations would be good as I'm applying for 2021. I'm predicted 2 A*s and already have one in maths.

Durham is the more prestigious for Maths and generally. However it is in a very small city. Leeds is in a huge city so will naturally more in terms of nightlife. Durham is a collegiate university where students belong to colleges and most are not on campus but some are fairly close just a short walk away. It requires Further Maths and has a step requirement which I dont believe Leeds has. I think Leeds has some accommodation on campus but some of its balls I believe are some distance away in Headingley. It is very much a classic choice between being in a large or small city.

You ask where else to look at and a great deal will depend on what kind of place you wish to study at and what branch of Maths. Lancaster for example is a campus university a couple of miles out of a small city. It excels in Pure Maths and Statistics but didnt use to include Mechanics. That is a plus for some but a huge minus for others.

Bath is another small city with a really nice out of the city campus and is highly thought of for Maths. For some its small size means it doesnt meet the kind of nightlife they require.

Imperial is arguable the best Maths course but is housed in London as is UCL. Some love being in London whilst others cant stand it.

Similarly Warwick is another top Maths university but it is based on a campus out of the city. Some love that others hate it.

It is very difficult to advise you. Perhaps you could look at the complete university guide Maths table and work your way through it looking at the kind of location you want and look to see whether the course interests you. You can then base your applications on which course and location you prefer.
Reply 3
Not really sure yet. I have until half way through june to firm and insure. All my offers are deferred to 2021. I can always reapply to new unis next cycle.
Reply 4
I

Original post by swanseajack1
Durham is the more prestigious for Maths and generally. However it is in a very small city. Leeds is in a huge city so will naturally more in terms of nightlife. Durham is a collegiate university where students belong to colleges and most are not on campus but some are fairly close just a short walk away. It requires Further Maths and has a step requirement which I dont believe Leeds has. I think Leeds has some accommodation on campus but some of its balls I believe are some distance away in Headingley. It is very much a classic choice between being in a large or small city.

You ask where else to look at and a great deal will depend on what kind of place you wish to study at and what branch of Maths. Lancaster for example is a campus university a couple of miles out of a small city. It excels in Pure Maths and Statistics but didnt use to include Mechanics. That is a plus for some but a huge minus for others.

Bath is another small city with a really nice out of the city campus and is highly thought of for Maths. For some its small size means it doesnt meet the kind of nightlife they require.

Imperial is arguable the best Maths course but is housed in London as is UCL. Some love being in London whilst others cant stand it.

Similarly Warwick is another top Maths university but it is based on a campus out of the city. Some love that others hate it.

It is very difficult to advise you. Perhaps you could look at the complete university guide Maths table and work your way through it looking at the kind of location you want and look to see whether the course interests you. You can then base your applications on which course and location you prefer.

Thanks for the advice. I've got an offer from bath aswell and my thoughts on that are its prestigious but may not be as good of a city as leeds. Got rejected from imperial though. You say Durham is the more prestigious for maths - is leeds at all prestigious for maths or not? I dont wanna sell myself short and regret going somewhere that isnt as good
I mean with those grades and a strong personal statement/clear love of the subject/MAT or STEP scores/good GCSEs I don't see why you couldn't apply to Oxford or Cambridge (not sure if they do the joint honours course though) but perhaps not the best idea if you're looking for a 'fun' university. Bath might not be as fun as Leeds but I am local and it is one of my favourite cities in the UK, it's beautiful and the campus is lovely, so if you're interested it's a fab uni! But from what you've said it sounds like you're leaning towards Leeds, and they're all great universities (reputation really isn't the be all and end all) so just pick which ever one you would be willing to spend the next 3/4 years at!

I don't think I agree with you - Leeds is the base of UKMT and has a very good Maths rep.
Original post by pupral
I

Thanks for the advice. I've got an offer from bath aswell and my thoughts on that are its prestigious but may not be as good of a city as leeds. Got rejected from imperial though. You say Durham is the more prestigious for maths - is leeds at all prestigious for maths or not? I dont wanna sell myself short and regret going somewhere that isnt as good

Leeds isnt as highly ranked but what is far more important than prestige or rankings is that you are able to settle well wherever you go. Rankings tend not to be totally reliable but at least they have been based on some kind of methodology whereas anyone else is just guesswork.

I think the big city against small city is very important. What would you prefer. Whilst I would prefer Bath it might not be right for you. It is important you decide on where you will feel most comfortable and where you prefer the course rather than relying in someones idea of prestige,
Original post by pupral

I think Leeds is just as good for Maths.

You need to explore the differences in course content and structure - more pure or more applied? Being happy is far more important than reputation which isn't fixed and varies with subject anyway.

I'd avoid London - look at Bath or Exeter -

What about a year in industry? What are you thinking you might do after your degree?
Reply 9
I got rejected from imperial so don't think I'll get in to oxbridge really. Plus I dont really want to do step/ mat as I have plans this coming year before going to uni in 2021. I'd have to be working on step all year and just dont really want the stress of that. And yeah I went to visit Bath and it looked great. I just need to make a decision really.
Reply 10
Original post by Muttley79
I don't think I agree with you - Leeds is the base of UKMT and has a very good Maths rep.

That's just what I've heard from friends really and the internet.
Reply 11
Leeds isnt as highly ranked but what is far more important than prestige or rankings is that you are able to settle well wherever you go. Rankings tend not to be totally reliable but at least they have been based on some kind of methodology whereas anyone else is just guesswork.

I think the big city against small city is very important. What would you prefer. Whilst I would prefer Bath it might not be right for you. It is important you decide on where you will feel most comfortable and where you prefer the course rather than relying in someones idea of prestige,

Yeah I think you're right I think I gotta choose where I'll prefer to be the most.
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79

Well that's good then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending