jim212
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Good afternoon, I am from Greece but have lived in the UK for nearly five years. I have done my GCSEs and currently would have finished A Levels but due to the COVID-19 exams are cancelled. Unfortunately I am not able to apply properly and have to apply as an EU national which limits me a lot and that is because I came to the UK in October 2015. So for one month I am not able to apply properly as a home student. Does it count if I lived in the UK when I was younger for nearly 4 years and nearly 5 years from 2015?
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jim212)
Good afternoon, I am from Greece but have lived in the UK for nearly five years. I have done my GCSEs and currently would have finished A Levels but due to the COVID-19 exams are cancelled. Unfortunately I am not able to apply properly and have to apply as an EU national which limits me a lot and that is because I came to the UK in October 2015. So for one month I am not able to apply properly as a home student. Does it count if I lived in the UK when I was younger for nearly 4 years and nearly 5 years from 2015?
Hi there, are you a UK National or Greek National?
Thanks, Isaac
jim212
Rep:
?
I am a Greek national, my mother has the settlement status. I got my National Insurance number at 16 normally as I was attending education here. I came to the UK for permanent stay 27 October 2015 and my mother in November 2014, unfortunately for such a small gap I am missing the opportunity to apply properly online for a Student Loan and a maintenance loan since I will be living out.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am a Greek national, my mother has the settlement status. I got my National Insurance number at 16 normally as I was attending education here. I came to the UK for permanent stay 27 October 2015 and my mother in November 2014, unfortunately for such a small gap I am missing the opportunity to apply properly online for a Student Loan and a maintenance loan since I will be living out.
As you have not resided in the UK since the 01/09/2015 you are ineligible to apply as a home student for a September academic year course start. However what you could do is find a university that has a course that starts in January or February and then you only need 5 years residency from the 01/01/2016 and therefore will be eligible, this just means starting a few months later.
Thanks, Isaac
jim212
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
As you have not resided in the UK since the 01/09/2015 you are ineligible to apply as a home student for a September academic year course start. However what you could do is find a university that has a course that starts in January or February and then you only need 5 years residency from the 01/01/2016 and therefore will be eligible, this just means starting a few months later.
Thanks, Isaac
I see, so I apply as an EU national but what am I supposed to do since I am living out. Do I have to talk with the university or something, it is sad to lose my chance to apply for maintenance loan just for close to one month gap.
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see, so I apply as an EU national but what am I supposed to do since I am living out. Do I have to talk with the university or something, it is sad to lose my chance to apply for maintenance loan just for close to one month gap.
Yes but like I said, you could wait a few months and enroll onto a January course.
Thanks, Isaac
jim212
Rep:
?
Yes but like I said, you could wait a few months and enroll onto a January course.
Thanks, Isaac
I wont be able to apply for a maintenance loan later on in the year?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wont be able to apply for a maintenance loan later on in the year?
Good morning, if you start in September, you will be ineligible for the duration of your course even in the 2nd year, 3rd year etc.

If you start the course in January, you only need to have resided in the UK since 01/01/2016 and therefore would be eligible.
Thanks, Isaac
jim212
Rep:
?
Good morning, if you start in September, you will be ineligible for the duration of your course even in the 2nd year, 3rd year etc.

If you start the course in January, you only need to have resided in the UK since 01/01/2016 and therefore would be eligible.
Thanks, Isaac
Is it possible to apply for student finance later on? I understand the deadline is May 22nd but can I not apply when my course has started?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it possible to apply for student finance later on? I understand the deadline is May 22nd but can I not apply when my course has started?
Apologies for the delay in responding to your query. Yes you can apply when your course starts but that means the funding will be delayed. You have up until 9 months after the academic year starts to apply.
Thanks, Isaac
jim212
Rep:
?
Apologies for the delay in responding to your query. Yes you can apply when your course starts but that means the funding will be delayed. You have up until 9 months after the academic year starts to apply.
Thanks, Isaac
Will I have to pay the first 9k upfront?
SFE Isaac
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Will I have to pay the first 9k upfront?
No, you can wait for your finance to pay the fee but your university might want to know why you have not paid anything or in an extreme circumstance they could suspend you from attending if nothing has been paid.
Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed