The Student Room Group

Bournemouth or Oxford brookes University

Hi all,
I have received an unconditional offer from Bournemouth and a conditional offer from Oxford brookes. The conditions from Oxford brookes is that I need a successful APEL application as well as the usual DBS, occupational health and fitness to practice. What does an APEL application consist of?

I've been to Bournemouth a few times but haven't been to Oxford. I'm not sure if I'll get the chance to with lockdown going on. If anyone has any experiences or general opinions on these unis to help me make my decision, that would be greatly appreciated:smile:
Reply 1
Hey :smile: I don't much about your degree so I am not show where your two unis stand in terms of ranking, student satisfaction and all that but you can check all that in Complete Uni Guide. There you can see how well your chosen unis are doing in terms of ranking for your specific subject. Student satisfaction and research output/quality are really important.

One of my best friends goes to Bournemouth uni to study game design and he absolutely loves it there. The uni is well organised, lecturers are really friendly, there are all sorts of societies and clubs that accommodate any student interests. The town is absolutely adorable , really nice places to go to as well and of course you have the beach which believe me in the summer is the nicest place to be. I have also been to Oxford, I did a summer boarding course there. I do love it but there isn't that much going on. If you are a very social person you will maybe get bored after a while. Also, I think the Oxford students look down on people from Oxford Brooks because it is not as 'prestige' therefore, I think there may be a little prejudice against you or people from uni. Obviously I don't know for sure so please don't let my opinion freak you out and make you not want to go there at all.

Based on your offers.... If I was in your place I will go to Bournemouth because of the unconditional offer. If a uni gives you an unconditional then that means that they want you there 100%. Which of course is a great therefore, I think you should really consider it. There are platforms on the uni websites where you can chat with students that go there right now. I contacted some of the people from my uni and that really helped me make my choice.
Reply 2
Original post by kalina17
Hey :smile: I don't much about your degree so I am not show where your two unis stand in terms of ranking, student satisfaction and all that but you can check all that in Complete Uni Guide. There you can see how well your chosen unis are doing in terms of ranking for your specific subject. Student satisfaction and research output/quality are really important.

One of my best friends goes to Bournemouth uni to study game design and he absolutely loves it there. The uni is well organised, lecturers are really friendly, there are all sorts of societies and clubs that accommodate any student interests. The town is absolutely adorable , really nice places to go to as well and of course you have the beach which believe me in the summer is the nicest place to be. I have also been to Oxford, I did a summer boarding course there. I do love it but there isn't that much going on. If you are a very social person you will maybe get bored after a while. Also, I think the Oxford students look down on people from Oxford Brooks because it is not as 'prestige' therefore, I think there may be a little prejudice against you or people from uni. Obviously I don't know for sure so please don't let my opinion freak you out and make you not want to go there at all.

Based on your offers.... If I was in your place I will go to Bournemouth because of the unconditional offer. If a uni gives you an unconditional then that means that they want you there 100%. Which of course is a great therefore, I think you should really consider it. There are platforms on the uni websites where you can chat with students that go there right now. I contacted some of the people from my uni and that really helped me make my choice.

Thanks for your response. I'll be studying Occupational therapy which Oxford brookes ranks 3rd. Although Bournemouth is down there somewhere in terms of ranking, there aren't many things that draw me to brookes. I asked some friends who applied/visited there for some insight, both were not a fan in terms of atmosphere and the way they do their things. I do prefer the modules and methods of assessment at Bournemouth as well as it being more affordable than Oxford.

I thought I'd do more research and give brookes a chance but it seems Bournemouth has more pros for me. I am still open to hear people's experience though. Does you friend have recommendations for accommodation as that will be another hurdle? Are students getting their money back for the remaining term?

Your response has been very helpful. Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Aztec Chic
Thanks for your response. I'll be studying Occupational therapy which Oxford brookes ranks 3rd. Although Bournemouth is down there somewhere in terms of ranking, there aren't many things that draw me to brookes. I asked some friends who applied/visited there for some insight, both were not a fan in terms of atmosphere and the way they do their things. I do prefer the modules and methods of assessment at Bournemouth as well as it being more affordable than Oxford.

I thought I'd do more research and give brookes a chance but it seems Bournemouth has more pros for me. I am still open to hear people's experience though. Does you friend have recommendations for accommodation as that will be another hurdle? Are students getting their money back for the remaining term?

Your response has been very helpful. Thank you :smile:

I am glad I could help.
My friend lives in Lyme Regis House. He said it was recently refurnished so everything is brand new and really modern. Also the team on site: cleaning/reception/security are really polite and friendly and also they always look after you. They have not yet decided what to do with the money for this term since quite a lot of people especially international students are still there so it is unfair for people who went home to get their money back and people who have no choice but to be stuck there to not get their money back so am not sure how thats going.

Good luck with everything ! I am sure you will have a brilliant time wherever you go but of course choose the uni that you can really imagine yourself going to. What really helped me to pick my uni was when I looked at pics of the campus and accommodation was just trying to imagine myself there. If you want to be in a really nice social town, you are outgoing and feel comfortable with many international students then Bournemouth is really the place for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending