Devious American tactics to deny China a role in the Arctic are unwelcome

Watch this thread
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Washington’s mischaracterisation of Beijing’s intentions is the basis for moves to increase US’ presence in Arctic and lean on allies to undermine China’s

However, public opinion in the region largely welcomes Chinese participation in scientific endeavours and infrastructure development

https://www.scmp.com/comment/opinion...-no-one-itself
HJF65
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
China can't complain given their recent actions in the South China sea imo
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
China's attempts to steal international waters by building artificial Islands in the south China sea are the biggest theft in world history.
AngeryPenguin
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
China's attempts to steal international waters by building artificial Islands in the south China sea are the biggest theft in world history.
If you forget the European colonization of the Americas and Australia and New Zealand and Africa and much of Asia.

But don't let facts get in the way of hating on China. To that I say: haters gonna hate!
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
If you forget the European colonization of the Americas and Australia and New Zealand and Africa and much of Asia.

But don't let facts get in the way of hating on China. To that I say: haters gonna hate!
Except they are independent countries now and that was centuries ago.
Nobody hates China here they do think you spread hate and are the most disreputable shill on TSR.
AngeryPenguin
Rep:
(Original post by 999tigger)
Except they are independent countries now and that was centuries ago.
Nobody hates China here they do think you spread hate and are the most disreputable shill on TSR.
You said biggest "in world history". I have shown that to be a lie.

Please edit and correct your anti-China propaganda.
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You are literally the worst person on this website. Why do you insist on this ****.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago

You are just trolling now. Nope because you are too thick to understand international law in a historical context and that China's actions in the S China seas to steal international waters is truly outrageous.
username5255006
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Washington’s mischaracterisation of Beijing’s intentions is the basis for moves to increase US’ presence in Arctic and lean on allies to undermine China’s

However, public opinion in the region largely welcomes Chinese participation in scientific endeavours and infrastructure development

Far worse things going on in the world tbh mate. When China stop censoring everything, killing their citizens, lying to the world and overall becoming an ever-increasing worry due to their power and influence, then people might care about them.
Emmerage
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Well, no. Not really centuries ago, actually. Not independent, either. The head of state in Australia and many other Commonwealth nations is still the Queen. India has only been independent since 1947. Australia had no choice but to go to war in 1914 and again in 1939 because of colonial power relationships. OK, China has a questionable international policy, but the UK isn't in any way a better example. Some of the greatest atrocities have been committed by the British, and many people are still suffering because of Colonialism. It didn't just magically end in 1947, and it wasn't centuries ago by any means. If you're going to spout about history, at least make sure you know what you're talking about.All that said, China is a new colonial power.
Emmerage
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Well, no. Not really centuries ago, actually. Not independent, either. The head of state in Australia and many other Commonwealth nations is still the Queen. India has only been independent since 1947. Australia had no choice but to go to war in 1914 and again in 1939 because of colonial power relationships. OK, China has a questionable international policy, but the UK isn't in any way a better example. Some of the greatest atrocities have been committed by the British, and many people are still suffering because of Colonialism. It didn't just magically end in 1947, and it wasn't centuries ago by any means. If you're going to spout about history, at least make sure you know what you're talking about.

All that said, China is a new colonial power.
JoshDarnIt_
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I knew it was you who made this thread just from reading the title :rolleyes:
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

No it doesnt :lol:
None of the littoral states want China sticking its nose in where its not wanted. And make no mistake China has no business in the Arctic.
Napp
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Emmerage)
Well, no. Not really centuries ago, actually. Not independent, either. The head of state in Australia and many other Commonwealth nations is still the Queen. India has only been independent since 1947. Australia had no choice but to go to war in 1914 and again in 1939 because of colonial power relationships. OK, China has a questionable international policy, but the UK isn't in any way a better example. Some of the greatest atrocities have been committed by the British, and many people are still suffering because of Colonialism. It didn't just magically end in 1947, and it wasn't centuries ago by any means. If you're going to spout about history, at least make sure you know what you're talking about.

All that said, China is a new colonial power.
Would you care to expand on that?
HJF65
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

So it is perfectly acceptable for you to hold pro-Chinese views and spread blatant propaganda regarding them, but not for anyone to give opposing views to it?
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Napp)
No it doesnt :lol:
None of the littoral states want China sticking its nose in where its not wanted. And make no mistake China has no business in the Arctic.
No Pangolins there
Napp
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
No Pangolins there
If polar bears/penguins become the new Pangolins there i will personally be signing up for the expeditionary force!
Emmerage
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Napp)
Would you care to expand on that?
Sure - attempted indigenous genocide in every single "settler" nation; slavery (oh, but Britain is now morally exempt because something-about-Manchester-supporting-Lincon); mass transport of "convicts" (many of them from Ireland); Ireland in general...

To expand, here are some useful links you could have Googled yourself:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7612176.html --> This one doesn't even include the imprisonment and often enslavement of indigenous peoples in places like Australia and Canada, nor the removal of indigenous children, nor the attempt to eradicate their "blood lines" by tryiing to "breed out" their non-white heritage. It's pretty easy to expand on all of this with just a little research. I'm not going to spend hours doing it for you.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_war_crimes. --> most of these involve the late Empire period.

Also, the Windrush scandal is essentially a colonial product as well. There are still many examples of colonial era attitudes and governance still impacting people's lives today.
Napp
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Emmerage)
Sure - attempted indigenous genocide in every single "settler" nation; slavery (oh, but Britain is now morally exempt because something-about-Manchester-supporting-Lincon); mass transport of "convicts" (many of them from Ireland); Ireland in general...
Genocide is a legal term, simply beating the locals into submission does not even remotely equal that. I'm struggling to think of any colony where the British had a policy of exterminating the locals. Not in the pacific, NZL, AUS, African possessions or so on. a vague argument can be made for the American colonies but it still comes across as overly weak considering much of the killing occured long after Britain was ejected from there.

What are you rattling on about Manchester for?

To expand, here are some useful links you could have Googled yourself:
Why would i google your argument for you ?
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7612176.html --> This one doesn't even include the imprisonment and often enslavement of indigenous peoples in places like Australia and Canada, nor the removal of indigenous children, nor the attempt to eradicate their "blood lines" by tryiing to "breed out" their non-white heritage. It's pretty easy to expand on all of this with just a little research. I'm not going to spend hours doing it for you.
Err you seem to be referring to policies that took place in Australia after independence? (Cant speak to Canada) Rather tricky to blame the British for something that happened decades after they gave up control there.

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_war_crimes. --> most of these involve the late Empire period.
Equally, i like how you're putting the, admittedly, extremely shabby affair at Amritsar in the same league as the extemrination of the Jews, Indians (south american that is) and so on so forth. Britain may well have some unpalatable stains on its record but to put them in the top tier seems somewhat disingenuous.
Also, the Windrush scandal is essentially a colonial product as well. There are still many examples of colonial era attitudes and governance still impacting people's lives today.
In what way is it a 'colonial product'? As opposed to an impressive display of political incompetence?
Emmerage
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You're absolutely right, no genocide. I guess, since Jewish people surived the holocaust, that wasn't genocide either? https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/...cMBEafv5vqPvr&

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...YmDb1auYY0AKg_

Look, if you don't want to accept it, it's on you. You have no idea what you are talking about (there was no "independence" in Australia - it is STILL headed by the Queen. It was federated, very, very different. Just one example of your ignorance on the issue). Also, the policies I'm talking about were instigated very early on in "settlement" by the British - the idea that at the moment of Federation in 1901 everything happening before became an Australian-only issue is ludicrous. Moreover, what about

It's all out there for you to find, but I guess it would be awkward to accept that the British Empire was one of the most cruel and brutal of that era. "Struggling to think of" is a case in point - you ALREADY don't know this stuff, so why would you thinking about examples help you? You'd need to do some actually reading or research to know what happened.

Also, to describe Amritsar as "shabby" just shows that you don't want to percieve these atrocities for what they are.

I would also point out that "South American Indians" is an outdated term from the 1950s, and that the British Empire was ALSO complicit in the massacre of First Nations in North America (who we might call "Indians", if we were desperately uninformed).

The rest, you can use your brain, or just dismiss it. I'll admit the Manchester mention was a bit obscure - when I've raised the issue of Britain's role in slavery with people in the UK, I've been repeatedly told to go and look at the statue of Lincoln in a square in Manchester, which includes the text of a letter written by Lincoln to the workers of Manchester to thank them for supporting the anti-slavery movement. As if this somehow absolves the UK from supporting, orchestrating, and profiting from slavery for hundreds of years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
20.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.09%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.49%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
16.48%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (22)
24.18%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
20.88%

Watched Threads