The Student Room Group

Im absolutely terrified to give birth

I’m due in 4 months but I’m literally terrified to give birth!

I’m scared of the pain, the blood, everything. I’m very very squeamish and just the thought of it makes me genuinely nauseous to the point that I could pass out

I’m so scared and I don’t know what to do!!

Scroll to see replies

Do you have a birth plan in place? There are many kinds of pain relief that can help, and remember your midwife knows what they're doing :smile:.

If it is seriously affecting your mental health and you're developing a phobia of birth (i.e. not just scared - which is normal!), you need to make your midwife aware, as there is a chance that an elective and scheduled c-section could be an option. Of course that's not a procedure that should ever be taken lightly, but if it's causing you this much distress it might be better in the long run.
Original post by Anonymous

I’m scared of the pain, the blood, everything. I’m very very squeamish and just the thought of it makes me genuinely nauseous to the point that I could pass out

definitely talk to your midwife about it! i dont think students on here would be of much help to issues like this haha. one thing i can say is: Enjoy Your Pregnancy! Enjoy every minute of it and dont worry about the birth issue too much.
if you really don't want to do it don't force yourself you can get an abortion right?

First of all, this is an absolutely ridiculous answer. She is 5 months in. If you know nothing about termination procedures please gtfoh. Secondly, OP, speak to your midwife, she’ll be able to help as much as possible. You’ll be okay!! You’ve got a little bubba on the way x
Reply 4
Ditto to the midwife advice above. You're five moths along so go you!
Have you got any cravings? : )
Have you considered speaking with a doula or looking into hypnobirthing?
Both have worked quite well for a few of my friends.
The Positive Birth Company also has a friendly facebook group, a lot calmer than mumsnet and netmums.

@Oxford Mum @harrysbar Any advice?
Original post by Ojay91.x
First of all, this is an absolutely ridiculous answer. She is 5 months in. If you know nothing about termination procedures please gtfoh. Secondly, OP, speak to your midwife, she’ll be able to help as much as possible. You’ll be okay!! You’ve got a little bubba on the way x

sorry my bad

i just feel that women shouldn't be forced to give birth - i mean it's 2020 stop being backwards!
The whole idea of birth terrifies the absolute hell out of me! I can't watch it, think about it, talk about it, anything. I feel like I'm going to pass out when I hear about anything to do with it. Anything to do with birth, pregnancy, breastfeeding, babies creeps me out so I totally get how you feel. You're brave to be going through it.
Luckily for me, I don't want kids so I never have to deal with.
However since you're not far off giving birth I'd ask for an epidural and as much pain relief as possible. Maybe you could ask for a sheet to be put up so you don't have to look at it while it's happening and ask for the baby to be cleaned up before you hold it?
Tbh I don't know why they hand the baby over when it's all slimy anyways. Without seeing the gore and blood and stuff, it might be easier for you handle maybe? You could as for those kinds of options.
same dude same

sorry my bad

i just feel that women shouldn't be forced to give birth - i mean it's 2020 stop being backwards!

Yes, but at 5 months in she would have to give birth anyway, even if she did get a termination (which of course wouldn't be granted for no reason at such a late stage), so it wouldn't actually be a solution anyway.

Anyway this isn't the place for a debate on abortion.

Speak to your midwife and discuss what your birth options are. My hospital has a midwife unit in it so hoping to have my baby there but I only need to be transferred upstairs if something goes wrong and it s a fair bit less clinical, you can have music and a water birth there.

It's normal to be nervous and being pregnant myself, the pandemic doesn't help the nerves. I ve been watching labour videos online and reading a couple of books written by midwives and it helps.
sorry my bad

She isn’t being forced to give birth, she is just afraid of giving birth which in my opinion is justified. I am utterly afraid of it 😩. There is a lot of really good advice for the OP in this thread.

Sis you’ll be fine! It’s terrifying to think about but once you have the bubba in your arms you won’t even care about what you’ve been through. ♥️
Op is 5 months pregnant, for goodness sake! And why the heck should op get an abortion??? You obviously don’t know much about giving birth and being pregnant do you? Take your ignorant comments elsewhere!

Anyway op, I know exactly how you feel. I was terrified too. Even right up to the day I gave birth. I won’t describe my two births as they were not straight forward and I didn’t get an epidural but I managed fine on the gas and air even.

I would go through it again if I had too ( and I am so squeamish I have never seen a horror film).

I am sitting with my kids now and they have been making me laugh so much I am in hysterics! I call them my entertainments managers! This will be you soon and the older they get, the more interesting they become. This is the lifelong reward for putting up with pain for a short while.

I wish I could give you a big hug, but because I am not there I will give you a short message: think of the big picture.

Love and best wishes
Original post by Oxford Mum
Op is 5 months pregnant, for goodness sake! And why the heck should op get an abortion??? You obviously don’t know much about giving birth and being pregnant do you? Take your ignorant comments elsewhere!

Anyway op, I know exactly how you feel. I was terrified too. Even right up to the day I gave birth. I won’t describe my two births as they were not straight forward and I didn’t get an epidural but I managed fine on the gas and air even.

I would go through it again if I had too ( and I am so squeamish I have never seen a horror film).

I am sitting with my kids now and they have been making me laugh so much I am in hysterics! I call them my entertainments managers! This will be you soon and the older they get, the more interesting they become. This is the lifelong reward for putting up with pain for a short while.

I wish I could give you a big hug, but because I am not there I will give you a short message: think of the big picture.

Love and best wishes

im so sorry queen pls don't be mad at me!
Hey. Just wanted to say good luck. I gave birth 6 months ago and still traumatised.

Hi hunni

Talk to your midwife who been looking after you throughout your pregnancy and ask her to explain what pain relief there is because you have few choices .
Talk to your partner on how you feel and get him more involved as when the time come to give birth he will be there to support you through it.
Don't need to be scared of the blood as you can easy concertrate on talking to your partner and any other midwife in with you to keep your mind of the blood side of birth. If you are screamish then best thing is to not look down while you giving birth as to get your partner to keep you occupied and therefore won't get screamish or anything else .
If you are terrified about natural birth then there is always a C-Section as you won't feel anything and see anything as there's a screen between you and the surgeon but again talk all of this to your midwife you under ok .
Pain is just a natural part of giving birth but with pain relief you should feel less of it .
I can't think of anybody I had dealt with in the maternity ward who passed out on me while they were giving birth.
Original post by Oxford Mum

Love and best wishes

Bet the troll is a guy as well 🙄
Exactly Rupert!!!

Also I can remember, when I was 5 months pregnant, saying exactly the same to my friend’s mother. She said “if it was that bad, no woman would want a second child”.

She was right.
Why are you posting this on the TSR?
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending