The Student Room Group

Feeling disheartened about Gap year amid Coronavirus

So my original plans for my gap year have fallen through due to coronavirus and its really got me down, I'm scared I'll end up spending the year at home doing nothing (which doesn't look good on a personal statement) unless I can find an alternative quickly.

For background: I am currently a year 13 student (not for long) I didn't apply for uni this year as I had already decided to take a gap year, I felt I wasn't ready for uni yet and didn't know what I wanted to do so needed a bit more time. My plan was to spend the year working a full time job (preferably a fun one, or something that relates to my interests) so I can save up for uni. I was going to apply for an assistant instructor job at PGL (outdoor activity centre for children) and/or a local equivalent that also does conservation work. I feel I would have been well suited to this role and would have really enjoyed it-they offer jobs specifically for Gap Year students! However due to coronavirus, they aren't recruiting. Same goes with any summer camps.

I do currently have a PTJ but its only a 4 hour contract and I get around £150 a month unless there is overtime available, so it wouldn't keep me busy or earn me much money.

Overall I'm feeling really disheartened as I need to find a full time job for a year amidst this pandemic, and quickly as I've already racked up too much time on the sofa. Any suggestions? I've looked online but can't find anywhere suitable (given my lack of qualifications and location) thats recruiting.

TL;DR my pre-university gap year plans won't work out because of coronavirus. need to find a good full time job for a year quickly, preferably one that looks good on a personal statement.
Firstly, don't worry about the personal statement. Every single person will have the same problem - the lost year (or years). It's worse for people just leaving school or uni, but employers and universities will know this - and/or you can put in your CV that the gap was the coronavirus year.

Secondly, it's not too late to put in a uni application, you can still be considered until the end of June. It's worth thinking about, as the job market is really going to be grim. Doesn't matter what, unless it's Deliveroo etc. you'll likely be out of luck. Too many businesses failing, too many other people job hunting.

All that said, if there's something you've always wanted to do (learn to code, write a novel, build something) you can always make a year-long project of it and out THAT on your personal statement. "Took a gap year to help my uncle build an earth ship" will make you sound competent and interesting, I guess...
If you start university in 2020, chances are it’ll be quite different from normal.
If you want to do a job to earn money, I recommend looking for Coronavirus related essential jobs such a fruit picking

Quick Reply

Latest