Is it possible to apply for an online bank account right now?

Watch
boyfresh123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I've got a bit of a problem, I need to apply for accomodation at university for 2020/21 and I don't have a bank account. I was wondering if it's possible to get an online bank account and how long would it take to get the pin etc.
Lizzillo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Barclays you can open a basic account on their app with ID. You may be able to make a student account, if not, just make a basic, put the info in SF and change the account details later.

My card and pin came within days, but you can use the account straight away as you have the account details.
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by boyfresh123)
I've got a bit of a problem, I need to apply for accomodation at university for 2020/21 and I don't have a bank account. I was wondering if it's possible to get an online bank account and how long would it take to get the pin etc.
Yes. You can open up a Monzo account right now and your bank is instantly ready to use. They send a card out within a few days. Think you need to have a form of ID on hand. They check this and then that’s it!
boyfresh123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Guys, I've only got a citizencard ID (photocopy), German passport (oudated since 2017), National insurance number when it comes to ID. Would that be possible to use? I've sent my original citizencard to DVLA to get a provisional license but they gave me a refund and they haven't picked up my call due to Covid-19; also they didn't give me my original citizencard ID back :/
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Guys, I've only got a citizencard ID (photocopy), German passport (oudated since 2017), National insurance number when it comes to ID. Would that be possible to use? I've sent my original citizencard to DVLA to get a provisional license but they gave me a refund and they haven't picked up my call due to Covid-19; also they didn't give me my original citizencard ID back :/
you need either of these:

Passport
Driving licence (provisional is fine)
National ID card
Other government issued photo ID

I’m not sure a citizen card comes under these categories. Do you have a passport? You could try with your expired passport although I am not sure tbh.
Lizzillo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Probably should have said this in the initial post to save us wasting our time then.

You need valid ID, such as a passport (any country) or driving licence.

Possibly, ask around for a friend or family members whose account details you can put down for now, and via them pay the deposit into their account and they pay it. Then, when you've been able to finally get into the bank, change the details to your own.

Also to add, a Citizencard can't be used to get a driving licence, all it is really useful for is if you are ID'd buying alcohol, for a bus pass etc.
Last edited by Lizzillo; 6 months ago
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I mean, there's plenty of banking apps knocking about. Pretty sure Barclays lets you set up an account online, same goes for pretty much any online-only bank like Starling Bank.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (9)
37.5%
No - I have already returned home (4)
16.67%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (6)
25%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (1)
4.17%
No - I live at home during term anyway (4)
16.67%

Watched Threads