Why does America have such variety in sports when all we really have is football?

Watch
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
They have basketball, baseball, hockey etc and all we really have is football and I guess rugby, all other sports such as golf (which is bs) is only liked by a niche group of people.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
They have basketball, baseball, hockey etc and all we really have is football and I guess rugby, all other sports such as golf (which is bs) is only liked by a niche group of people.
We are very diverse with sports. Football is big enough but we have RU and RL, cricket and all the olympic sports, cycling. Considering its size we do most sports. The US is six times larger.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Cricket, Rugby, Football, Hockey, Squash, Tennis, Real Tennis, Badminton, Rowing, Horse Racing... etc. etc. etc.
username4200854
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Heavyweight boxing is ruled by Great Britain atm
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
Cricket, Rugby, Football, Hockey, Squash, Tennis, Real Tennis, Badminton, Rowing, Horse Racing... etc. etc. etc.
What is the difference between Tennis and Real Tennis?
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Why do you make these threads when you haven't a clue about the topic?

You tried the same thing with English food and got rightly shot down.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
What is the difference between Tennis and Real Tennis?
Not being particularly good at either i'm not entirely sure how to describe the difference suffice it to say in real tennis you bounce the ball off of a wall as opposed to smacking it at each other

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_tennis
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
Not being particularly good at either i'm not entirely sure how to describe the difference suffice it to say in real tennis you bounce the ball off of a wall as opposed to smacking it at each other

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_tennis
So a Squash/Tennis hybrid?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
So a Squash/Tennis hybrid?
Real tennis is the original.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Real tennis is the original.
I am aware.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It's a function of the fact that the US is really a continent rather than a country. Different things were originally popular in different geographical areas as a function of (mostly) local weather conditions.

Then, over time, as the population spread they became more ubiquitous across the whole country.
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
We have leagues and a national team for ice hickey and basketball in the UK, too.

You don't see the USA winning Olympic gold at field hockey, either.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Sport is boring and americans love that dumb sh*t so they have "more" of it.
Last edited by Bio 7; 5 months ago
Hellohsjakodsmka
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Sport is boring and americans love that dumb sh*t so rhey have "more" of it.
Prsom
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
In America there are so many popular sports for majority, they have a higher and different appreciation as in Britain. 911 millions people live in America, but 66 millions in Britain, so fringe sports as in hockey and basketball for instance can be shared by many more people in America as in Britain. The more people in a country the greater the diversity in sport is. It is more difficult to find a sport for 911 millions of people in common than for 66 millions.
Last edited by Kallisto; 5 months ago
LovelyMrFox
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I wish we had rugby in the US
ThuggerThugger
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
In America there are so many popular sports for majority, they have a higher and different appreciation as in Britain. 911 millions people live in America, but 66 millions in Britain, so fringe sports as in hockey and basketball for instance can be shared by many more people in America as in Britain. The more people in a country the greater the diversity in sport is. It is more difficult to find a sport for 911 millions of people in common than for 66 millions.
Still though 66 million isn’t exactly a small number...
tierny3
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Americans are better at combat sports, which I'm jel of. I wish British Schools were big into wrestling like US schools are
PotatoFruit
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Football is all we need anyway
Spad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Most of the sports played in Britain are much more international than a lot of 'traditional' American sports - such as basketball, hockey blah blah.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.05%
I'm not sure (27)
4.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (190)
31.4%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.15%
I'm not a current university student (290)
47.93%

Watched Threads