Catiem17
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I’ve started thinking about my dissertation and am unsure as to what I want to do. I was thinking about Romeo and Juliet and Noughts and Crosses and the idea of forbidden love but I’m unsure as noughts and crosses isn’t a classical book.
I was also interested in life and loves of a she devil maybe exploring the theme or revenge but don’t know what other text I could use. I also think the portrayal of death in literature could be interesting but don’t know what texts to looks at for that.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Catiem17)
Hi, I’ve started thinking about my dissertation and am unsure as to what I want to do. I was thinking about Romeo and Juliet and Noughts and Crosses and the idea of forbidden love but I’m unsure as noughts and crosses isn’t a classical book.
I was also interested in life and loves of a she devil maybe exploring the theme or revenge but don’t know what other text I could use. I also think the portrayal of death in literature could be interesting but don’t know what texts to looks at for that.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Hi there Catiem17, are you trying to look for 'niche' texts, or just solid classics? If the latter, and taking into consideration your decision to use 'Romeo and Juliet' + your interest in death in lit, I would look into using 'The Great Gatsby'. Both novels explore doomed love, and the deaths in 'Gatsby' (both of the eponymous character and Myrtle Wilson, the unhappy mistress of Tom Buchanan, Gatsby's archenemy) are interesting parallels to the deaths of Romeo and Juliet.
Catiem17
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Hyperbolit)
Hi there Catiem17, are you trying to look for 'niche' texts, or just solid classics? If the latter, and taking into consideration your decision to use 'Romeo and Juliet' + your interest in death in lit, I would look into using 'The Great Gatsby'. Both novels explore doomed love, and the deaths in 'Gatsby' (both of the eponymous character and Myrtle Wilson, the unhappy mistress of Tom Buchanan, Gatsby's archenemy) are interesting parallels to the deaths of Romeo and Juliet.
This is really helpful, thank you! I hadn’t even thought of comparing these two novels!
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is really helpful, thank you! I hadn’t even thought of comparing these two novels!
No problem, I run an English language and literature learning resource blog, and will be posting about Gatsby soon. Meanwhile, see if the stuff on there about literary analysis, writing and reading tips etc. help you at all: https://hyperbolit.com
TabithaFord99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have never heard of the term "niche text" being used academically. What is a "niche text"?

Some ideas for you to consider: if you are interested in exploring the topic of "forbidden love" then there are many routes into this, from looking at, for instance, some of Ian McEwan's early shorts, which consider some taboo subject matter, to looking at novels which flout societal norms - eg "the well of loneliness".

If you are pursuing your idea about "revenge" then why not look at "Hamlet"? If it is particularly women seeking revenge that interests you, then both "Wuthering Heights" and "Great expectations" are good options.

Your third idea about "death in literature" is, I'm afraid, a bit too general. You'll need to be more specific about what you're looking at. For example, you could focus on women who commit suicide. "Madame Bovary" and "Anna Karenina" would work here. So would "Tess of the D'urbervilles". This would allow you to look at 'Romeo and Juliet' too, and explore suicide in relation to love.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (12)
7.45%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (27)
16.77%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (26)
16.15%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (23)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (45)
27.95%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (28)
17.39%

Watched Threads