Why are philosophy and theology lumped together when they are completely different?

Watch
Highrise769
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
They'd completely different subjects.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They aren't completely different. They overlap in some significant ways, the topic of God being the most obvious. The main difference is a presupposition of faith for most theologians (though this is not always necessary condition) on the one hand, and a presupposition of reason absent of faith on the other. But drawing sharp distinctions here is difficult, and most philosophers won't do it

Aristotle saw philosophy as a type of theology, actually. As did Plato
Highrise769
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
They aren't completely different. They overlap in some significant ways, the topic of God being the most obvious. The main difference is a presupposition of faith for most theologians (though this is not always necessary condition) on the one hand, and a presupposition of reason absent of faith on the other. But drawing sharp distinctions here is difficult, and most philosophers won't do it

Aristotle saw philosophy as a type of theology, actually. As did Plato
Philosophy is such a general subject that it overlaps with everything. I'd say it overlaps more with science than theology. I'm not against theology, but I do wonder why it is lumped with philosophy rather than philosophy and sociology going together or something.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Highrise769)
Philosophy is such a general subject that it overlaps with everything. I'd say it overlaps more with science than theology. I'm not against theology, but I do wonder why it is lumped with philosophy rather than philosophy and sociology going together or something.
It doesn't overlap with science more than theology. The basic tools and modes of enquiry of philosophy are used in theology as a matter of course and basically all of the time. This is not the case with any other discipline. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you'd say about it :dontknow:
Highrise769
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
It doesn't overlap with science more than theology. The basic tools and modes of enquiry of philosophy are used in theology as a matter of course and basically all of the time. This is not the case with any other discipline. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you'd say about it :dontknow:
Well there is a tremendous overlap with science in regards to to the philosophy of science and the methods of science, assuming you would consider those things to be philosophy. Philosophy should deal with question relating to the possibility of the existence of God, but not the nature of God as that is in the realm of theology and not relevant.
username5263178
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I disagree with this lumping together as well since philosophy also contains political philosophy, aesthetics, philosophy of science, philosophy of social science and even philosophy of religion itself. Putting the philosophy and religion in the same categories is all kinds of wrong especially since they approach the problems differently and come from different historical backgrounds.
Highrise769
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2cool4$kool)
I disagree with this lumping together as well since philosophy also contains political philosophy, aesthetics, philosophy of science, philosophy of social science and even philosophy of religion itself. Putting the philosophy and religion in the same categories is all kinds of wrong especially since they approach the problems differently and come from different historical backgrounds.
I think the theologians feel that their relevance depends on them being lumped in with philosophy,amen alone their subject wouldn't be taken seriously.
username5263178
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think the theologians feel that their relevance depends on them being lumped in with philosophy,amen alone their subject wouldn't be taken seriously.
Hahaha what an interesting perspective.

I see what you’re saying but there was this post yesterday about how the BBC identified differences in salary across sectors and under one single subject it was: Philosophy and Theological Studies. What’s up with that? Lol.

Is it because they’re both so ‘meta’?

Yes but there isn’t TPE because T only studies the work of T itself (I realise how blindsided I am for saying that but I’m talking ‘ultimately’) while P penetrates all areas of life.
TheCoolBro
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah this is accurate
username5263178
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Surely that alone does not grant anyone the right to lump them together based on the fact that they're 'small subjects' or that they lead to 'niche careers'..? There needs to be clear criteria of why they're doing that and at the moment I just fail to see enough reasons that grant the dissolution of the border that separates them.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well there is a tremendous overlap with science in regards to to the philosophy of science and the methods of science, assuming you would consider those things to be philosophy. Philosophy should deal with question relating to the possibility of the existence of God, but not the nature of God as that is in the realm of theology and not relevant.
That is a different claim: philosophy of science is not philosophy in toto

You have now stepped from what phil does do (in parts) to what it should do, which is again a significantly different claim

You are of course partly right. But I've done ten years of phil education and hold a PhD and I don't know how someone going into a PhD is drawing such sharp distinctions. There are of course differences but their fundamental approaches have much in common and the disciplines have points of convergence and compliment each other. Bonkers to me that you have got to PhD level in phil without ever touching on theological concerns even at undergrad, especially if you have ever dealt with the sophia of the Ancient Greeks!
Last edited by gjd800; 1 year ago
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't know a single person working in theology that would care about this at all
The Weeknd.
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago
I'm too hungry to debate
But this is so interesting to read!
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Philosophy of mind and language? What about religious experience? I know that theologic aspect can be discussed through philosophy of language and mind, no?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, I agree - it isn't an integral part. But philosophy can be applied to pretty much al disciplines. That's the whole point of philosophy (imo).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (127)
41.78%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (34)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (24)
7.89%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
22.04%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.86%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.25%

Watched Threads