guynextdoor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi everyone, I am quite new to TSR forums. I have been asked to sit for GCSE Maths equivalency testing for getting A-C for my PGCE course. Considering I'm a mature student and maths is something I categorically hate lol, any idea on how to pass this? what books or revision materials to use? Many thanks for your help.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by guynextdoor)
Hi everyone, I am quite new to TSR forums. I have been asked to sit for GCSE Maths equivalency testing for getting A-C for my PGCE course. Considering I'm a mature student and maths is something I categorically hate lol, any idea on how to pass this? what books or revision materials to use? Many thanks for your help.
Hi guynextdoor,
first of all, you need to have the syllabus of the course so you can focus your revision. Most equivalency testing companies have it on their website- if it is an equivalency testing done by a university- I am sure they will provide you with the syllabus for the course. You could use the BBC GCSE Bitesize website to support your revision and I would get a GCSE Maths revision guide. Many equivalency testing companies sell their own support pack, as well but it might be a pricier option. It might be a good idea for practice to do a few sample papers- you could also do some GCSE Maths papers from any GCSE boards (AQA, Pearsons, OCR, WJEC). The past papers and mark-schemes are available for free on their website.
I hope this helps.

Laure
guynextdoor
Rep:
?
(Original post by Get into Teaching)
Hi guynextdoor,
first of all, you need to have the syllabus of the course so you can focus your revision. Most equivalency testing companies have it on their website- if it is an equivalency testing done by a university- I am sure they will provide you with the syllabus for the course. You could use the BBC GCSE Bitesize website to support your revision and I would get a GCSE Maths revision guide. Many equivalency testing companies sell their own support pack, as well but it might be a pricier option. It might be a good idea for practice to do a few sample papers- you could also do some GCSE Maths papers from any GCSE boards (AQA, Pearsons, OCR, WJEC). The past papers and mark-schemes are available for free on their website.
I hope this helps.

Laure
HI I am doing CGP GCSE Revision book + BBC Bitesize, is that enough?
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey are you doing it through the Equivalency Testing company? If so, they haven't said if it's taking place in person or online?
guynextdoor
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
Hey are you doing it through the Equivalency Testing company? If so, they haven't said if it's taking place in person or online?
Hi no, I was considering ET and MME, but they only provide 1-2 past exam papers, thats it.
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by guynextdoor)
HI I am doing CGP GCSE Revision book + BBC Bitesize, is that enough?
Hi guynextdoor,
it is hard to say as it is different for everyone. As I mentioned before, I think it would be beneficial for you to do some past GCSE Maths paper- foundation level- it would be good practice for you and it would also highlight the areas you need to work on.
On Youtube, you have some GCSE Maths revision videos- I particularly recommend the ones produced by Primrose Kitten.
I hope this helps.
Laure
SZRRN
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi
if anyone has taken english test with ET then please kindly share the contents of writing and poetry section.
it would be a great help from anyone who did the exam in july 2020
becjohns26
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi
I am doing my GCSE Maths equivalency test next week. I struggle with maths but my revision is going better than I expected. I’m doing the foundation paper. Just wondering anyone who’s done it. It’s it really hard? Or as someone who finds maths hard do I have a chance of passing 😂
zoebowey103
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you know me know how you get on with the Maths exams as I’m due to do mine this summer?
becjohns26
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zoebowey103)
Can you know me know how you get on with the Maths exams as I’m due to do mine this summer?
Yeah of course. I’m doing it on Sunday so I’ll let you know. Any idea how difficult they are? I just want a bit of an idea?
zoebowey103
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
zoebowey103
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck! No idea your doing the exam before me I haven’t even booked mine yet as I don’t feel ready
becjohns26
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Good luck! No idea your doing the exam before me I haven’t even booked mine yet as I don’t feel ready
Thanks. I waited to book mine until I was ready . Best thing to do
becjohns26
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by becjohns26)
Thanks. I waited to book mine until I was ready . Best thing to do
Hey, unfortunately I didn’t pass the exam. It is quite hard. Definitely revise algebra and graphs
zoebowey103
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by becjohns26)
Hey, unfortunately I didn’t pass the exam. It is quite hard. Definitely revise algebra and graphs
Aww I’m sorry you didn’t pass!
Thanks for the heads up and good luck!
becjohns26
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Aww I’m sorry you didn’t pass!
Thanks for the heads up and good luck!
Thank you. I wasn’t far off. The first 25 are multiple choice. After that they get harder and you need to show working
zoebowey103
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks so much for letting me know I really appreciate it!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (161)
41.93%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (56)
14.58%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (159)
41.41%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.08%

Watched Threads