The Student Room Group

Covid-19 and ITT 2020/21 - What do we know so far?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mc1927
The other issue is as the government will be probably freezing public sector pay as well as interruptions with Covid19 trainees are probably going to be affected by strikes when it comes to classroom experience as no way will unions accept pay freezes.

As a current teacher, I think long term strikes are more likely to happen over unsafe conditions in schools than pay.

The biggest interruptions are likely to come if someone (student or adult) you've been in contact with tests positive for Coronavirus, in which case you'll have to take 14 days off.

With regards to placements, obviously we don't know what will happen in September but it's worth bearing in mind that the current advice is that anyone who is shielding, lives with someone who is shielding, or vulnerable is advised not to go into schools at the moment. Obviously we don't know if this advice will be the same in September- but if you fall into the vulnerable category then it's worth thinking about whether this is the right year for you to be doing an ITT course- full social distancing is not possible in schools, we're actively being told not to use PPE and handwashing facilities are often limited. Obviously some of this may change by September.
Had an email today from MMU with information regarding September start for the PGCE, had the normal dates on and didn’t say anything about a delayed start.
I think they are planning to go ahead as usual.
Original post by smivers1109
Had an email today from MMU with information regarding September start for the PGCE, had the normal dates on and didn’t say anything about a delayed start.

Updated in the OP. :ta:
Original post by smivers1109

That’s reassuring, and I think this would be the case for most if not all providers.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
As a current teacher, I think long term strikes are more likely to happen over unsafe conditions in schools than pay.

The biggest interruptions are likely to come if someone (student or adult) you've been in contact with tests positive for Coronavirus, in which case you'll have to take 14 days off.

With regards to placements, obviously we don't know what will happen in September but it's worth bearing in mind that the current advice is that anyone who is shielding, lives with someone who is shielding, or vulnerable is advised not to go into schools at the moment. Obviously we don't know if this advice will be the same in September- but if you fall into the vulnerable category then it's worth thinking about whether this is the right year for you to be doing an ITT course- full social distancing is not possible in schools, we're actively being told not to use PPE and handwashing facilities are often limited. Obviously some of this may change by September.

It would be wise to isolate for 14 days when you come into contact with someone who then tests positive this isn't the current government advice I don't believe and I don't think you are entitled to sick pay if you choose to do this under current guidelines. I hope this will change though...
Original post by Cookie0799
It would be wise to isolate for 14 days when you come into contact with someone who then tests positive this isn't the current government advice I don't believe and I don't think you are entitled to sick pay if you choose to do this under current guidelines. I hope this will change though...

This is the current DfE advice for schools when they reopen.

Anyone (staff or student) who comes into contact with someone who tests positive should stay off/self isolate for 14 days. I assume we will get sick pay for this!

You can read all the details here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-implementing-protective-measures-in-education-and-childcare-settings/coronavirus-covid-19-implementing-protective-measures-in-education-and-childcare-settings
(edited 3 years ago)
This is the current DfE advice for schools when they reopen.

Anyone (staff or student) who comes into contact with someone who tests positive should stay off/self isolate for 14 days. I assume we will get sick pay for this!

You can read all the details here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-implementing-protective-measures-in-education-and-childcare-settings/coronavirus-covid-19-implementing-protective-measures-in-education-and-childcare-settings

Ah I see, that's really relieving then! I wonder what the policies will be if there is no test just a suspected case!
Ah I see, that's really relieving then! I wonder what the policies will be if there is no test just a suspected case!

It's all in the document I linked to, but it is a bit wordy so I understand if you CBA to read it.

If there's a suspected case in school, the student will be isolated and their parents will have to collect ASAP.

All school staff and students have access to testing if they show symptoms, and the expectation will be that they should get a test ASAP.

I'm not sure what will happen if a student's family refuses to get them tested for some reason, but I believe in this scenario the teacher at least could get a test anyway.

AFIAK, if PHE believe there's a wide outbreak at a school, rather than just a couple of cases, they can order a full/partial closure of the school for deep cleaning etc. Heads can also close schools or order a partial closure for safety reasons (e.g. not having enough staff). ETA: obviously this is likely to be closing the door after the horse has bolted.
It's all in the document I linked to, but it is a bit wordy so I understand if you CBA to read it.

If there's a suspected case in school, the student will be isolated and their parents will have to collect ASAP.

All school staff and students have access to testing if they show symptoms, and the expectation will be that they should get a test ASAP.

I'm not sure what will happen if a student's family refuses to get them tested for some reason, but I believe in this scenario the teacher at least could get a test anyway.

AFIAK, if PHE believe there's a wide outbreak at a school, rather than just a couple of cases, they can order a full/partial closure of the school for deep cleaning etc. Heads can also close schools or order a partial closure for safety reasons (e.g. not having enough staff). ETA: obviously this is likely to be closing the door after the horse has bolted.

That's interesting, it's really good they've had time and have time going forward to plan for all this!
That's interesting, it's really good they've had time and have time going forward to plan for all this!

To be clear, I don't think the wider reopening of schools should be happening yet, but there are some useful plans in place. They do fall apart a bit when people don't do as you expect them (e.g. don't go and get a test if they have symptoms, don't keep their kids off with symptoms etc.)

The current scientific advice suggests that pushing reopening back by 2 weeks would halve the risk to children- which to me seems a decent trade off. But I doubt we will see that happen.
Reply 30
Does anyone know if UCL allows offer holders to defer entry to next year due to the pandemic? I sent them emails but no replies.
Original post by bamblue
Does anyone know if UCL allows offer holders to defer entry to next year due to the pandemic? I sent them emails but no replies.

When did you send the email?

Lots of students are deferring at the moment so it may take them some time to respond.
Reply 32
Original post by 04MR17
When did you send the email?

Lots of students are deferring at the moment so it may take them some time to respond.

About 10 days ago. I know Cambridge doesn't allow students to defer only because of coronavirus, so not sure about UCL. I suppose the half term is coming? Probablg I won't receive a reply until June.
Original post by bamblue
About 10 days ago. I know Cambridge doesn't allow students to defer only because of coronavirus, so not sure about UCL. I suppose the half term is coming? Probablg I won't receive a reply until June.

Might be worth a quick poke over the emails then. Or double check their website to see if there's a different address to send it to?
Original post by PositiveNihilist
No, though I've been thinking of doing it through them, however I'm unsure if they are holding examinations. The University hold their own tests but they've said it's unlikely they will be holding them this year. Not sure of they will allow me to do it alongside the PGCE. What has your provider said?

Equivalency Testing are now doing it online, need a zoom account though
Original post by bamblue

For UCL, you have to reapply but when you do, make sure to inform admissions that you were given an offer for the year 20/21 so you don't have to go through the interviews all over again.
Does anyone know anything about Uni of Wolverhampton? Haven't heard anything yet, other than 2020 graduation is now going to be summer 2021 and some talk of an online freshers fayre. Stressed!! :s-smilie:
Does anyone know anything about Liverpool hope PGCE Primary yet?
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Equivalency Testing are now doing it online, need a zoom account though

Yeah, it's a tad soon as I need to revise still lol. Are you taking it?
Original post by PositiveNihilist
Yeah, it's a tad soon as I need to revise still lol. Are you taking it?

I havent started revising yet as I've been busy with my dissertation.
But yeah hopefully do it by end of June.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending