The Student Room Group

22 - NEET for four years. Can’t get a job and don’t want to go to university

NEET for four years now and I am starting to loose it.

This will be very incoherent as I am in an absolute state but here goes nothing. Bit of backstory here:- So I’ve always been a massive goody two shoes in school. I always did all my homework at school and always tried my hardest. I wasn’t most academic person but the intention was always that my life would go:-
Try hard in school
Try hard at university
Get good job
Retire
Die
Anyway that hasn’t happened. So basically back through my GCSEs (2011-2013) and even everything before that went fine. Then I started my A Levels in the summer of 2013 and things started to go wrong. Like very wrong. I was really stressing out as I was doing far too many coursework subjects and I was doing too much work on my A Levels. I was staying up to 1am trying to get all the work done which I am aware is far too much work for an A Level student to be doing. I got some general time management help from my teachers but it wasn’t very helpful. I should have dropped one of my subjects but unfortunately I didn’t do that and assumed that I was just stressed and that I would get used to the pressure of A Levels. This was in the October of 2013. My internet addiction also got a LOT, LOT worse after the first half term of my first year of A Levels which has been a constant factor during this time period.

During my A Levels my mental health and stress got worse and this culminated in March 2015 when I had to drop an A Level (History) which left me with two A Levels in Photography (A) and Media Studies (B). During the summer my mental health was still in a mess and I started to get very depressed. I should have got mental health help during this time but I didn’t.

I then started a foundation Diploma In art and Design (Film Pathway) which I hated, mainly because I didn’t know why I was doing it and because I was still depressed. I enjoyed the course (60% of it) and social life but I was in such a mess that I didn’t really know what I was doing or why I was doing the course. Anyway, I passed my foundation course and I got some counselling for my mental health.

I started volunteering as a filmmaker for various arts organisations which I liked, although it was all unpaid. This was from 2016-2017.

After that I then got in touch with a local organisation that was going to try and get me some sort of creative/media/digital type job in my local area which lead to nothing. Not even a work experience placement. Since maybe the Christmas of 2017 I’ve basically done nothing aside from the occasional work experience programme (like one day long) which have been film related, working at the post office as a casual Mail Sorter, and a bit of volunteering at a charity shop. I have applied for retail jobs at both Waitrose and Tesco multiple times and I have been rejected from both. I also did counselling again in 2018 and it was helpful initially.

I have not been claiming JSA during the time I have been unemployed. Part of the problem is that I hate being good at what I am good at. The intention was that I would always do some sort of film/media course (I did consider doing a history course but that dream died with my AS Level results) but unfortunately the pay after film and media degrees is diabolical and that assumes that I might even get a job when I finish which is unlikely given my work history and how competitive film/media industries are. I also hate the fact that, despite working my arse off at A Level and literally making myself depressed as a result of doing all the school stuff I’m probably going to end up living in poverty certainly immediately after my degree finishes because of the dire amount that film and media degrees pay after graduation.

Being good at the creative subjects is awful. Condemning myself to a life of poverty. I’m sick and tired of all my STEM friends getting 30k-35k jobs which they can walk into after graduation all because they can do maths. It’s like all my hard work was for nothing. A complete and utter waste of my time. I don’t think I can deal with all my hard work going to waste by me not getting a job after university again.

I have applied to university this year to do various media/film/post production courses but I don’t think I will be able to really cope at university hence I don’t want to go. I have seen tonnes of careers advisors and they don’t really help me figure out what I want to do all they all say do film/media degrees and help for the best. The only person who has said do anything aside from film/media was a careers advisor in March 2015 who said become an advertising art director however getting work experience in advertising seems to be impossible as most of the big agencies are London based (I am not) and obviously I can’t start a vocational degree if I don’t know what the job entails afterwards. I actually found a work experience placement through this website (TSR) but I never applied for it as it asked for my parents phone number (this is a personal safety issue as some applicants may be under 18) and this freaked me out that the agency would phone up by parents so I never applied. I am aware that it is pathetic. I won’t be getting any work experience now because of the coronavirus lockdown.

I worry that I will eventually start some sort of film/media degree and get some kind of advertising art director related work experience love it and then realise that I have chosen the wrong degree course and drop out, which would be an absolute disaster, hence I can’t commit to a degree as I don’t have the work experience. I have been looking for advertising work experience since 2015 and found nothing. I even met someone in my local area who worked for an advertising agency and he said that he would set up a work experience placement and nothing came of it.

I’ve applied for apprenticeships but I can’t get them as I’m too old and I have a Level 4 Qualification. The closest I ever got to getting an apprenticeship was when I was shortlisted for an interview as a Digital Designer at an advertising agency after I finished the volunteering but I didn’t get it as I forgot to send them an email saying so wanted the job. This was incredibly frustrating as I would have got that job easily and I would have absolutely loved it, even if I did something else after the apprenticeship. I probably haven’t sent out as many application forms as I should but I am too scared to send out my application forms for jobs/work experience programmes etc because getting rejected will make me more depressed. Please help.
(edited 3 years ago)
I don't think there is any need to rush yourself. It's OK to take things slowly.

Firstly, have you ever heard of the Prince's Trust? They support people to get into work https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/help-for-young-people/programmes#get-a-job
Secondly, could you try again to get work experience?
Thirdly, have you thought about trying to get a social media following?

Are you absolutely sure you couldn't reconsider doing history-- there are more straightforward career paths you can take from a history degree like teaching. If you are in anyway interested, consider doing an 'access to HE course' at your local college. Part time the course takes 2 years and is effectively free*. The course can be used in lieu of A-Levels for entrance to most universities.

I am also wondering if you need a little more help with your mental health. Overall you just sound like you are really struggling. For some people brief intervention therapies/ counselling don't work.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by glassalice
I don't think there is any need to rush yourself. It's OK to take things slowly.

Firstly, have you ever heard of the Prince's Trust? They support people to get into work https://www.princes-trust.org.uk/help-for-young-people/programmes#get-a-job

Are you absolutely sure you couldn't reconsider doing history-- there are more straightforward career paths you can take from a history degree like teaching. If you are in anyway interested, consider doing an 'access to HE course' at your local college. Part time the course takes 2 years and is effectively free*. The course can be used in lieu of A-Levels for entrance to most universities.

I am also wondering if you need a little more help with your mental health. Overall you just sound like you are really struggling. For some people brief intervention therapies/ counselling don't work.

I can’t stand the idea of doing a history degree any more.

I’ve tried to get advertising work experience for years with no success and it’s so frustrating because I need the experience to make a decision as to wether or not to do an advertising degree or not. I emailed the course leader of the advertising course I am considering doing and she said I didn’t need any work experience to go onto the course. Of course I can’t do that this year because I haven’t visited any adverting related degree courses and you can’t do a degree if you haven’t visited the university’s!

I also emailed an advertising related organisation about work experience and they were unimaginably helpful but they said I can’t get any work experience because of coronavirus and I probably would have been able to get some of coronavirus wasn’t a thing. Not that I’m blaming it on my current situation

You there? Need some help here
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
I can’t stand the idea of doing a history degree any more.

I’ve tried to get advertising work experience for years with no success and it’s so frustrating because I need the experience to make a decision as to wether or not to do an advertising degree or not. I emailed the course leader of the advertising course I am considering doing and she said I didn’t need any work experience to go onto the course. Of course I can’t do that this year because I haven’t visited any adverting related degree courses and you can’t do a degree if you haven’t visited the university’s!

I also emailed an advertising related organisation about work experience and they were unimaginably helpful but they said I can’t get any work experience because of coronavirus and I probably would have been able to get some of coronavirus wasn’t a thing. Not that I’m blaming it on my current situation

Does the advertising degree course offer a taster day?
What are the graduate employment prospects like for the degree?
Does the advertising degree course offer a taster day?
What are the graduate employment prospects like for the degree?

The employment prospects are good. I think it’s 85% employment so about 5% less than the film related courses. I don’t think it offers a taster Day.

I’ve been offered and apprenticeship interview but it might not result in a job obviously.

Also there’s the computer incident which I will pm you about don’t want to make it public
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
The employment prospects are good. I think it’s 85% employment so about 5% less than the film related courses. I don’t think it offers a taster Day.

I’ve been offered and apprenticeship interview but it might not result in a job obviously.

Also there’s the computer incident which I will pm you about don’t want to make it public

Is the apprenticeship at a reputable firm, could you contact other people doing the apprenticeship?

Can you get a breakdown on these figures? How many people actually are working within the advertising industry?
Is the apprenticeship at a reputable firm, could you contact other people doing the apprenticeship?

Can you get a breakdown on these figures? How many people actually are working within the advertising industry?

The firm seems reputable but I probably won’t get it as I’m too old and I’ve been unemployed for too long.

I can get a percentage breakdown on discover uni but I can’t get much more of a breakdown than that. Also the advertising course that I want to do is in the Midlands and I’m in the South and it’s probably not a good idea to go so far. Away if I have mental health issues
(edited 3 years ago)

I don’t want to hassle you but I would appreciate it if you responded to my post above

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending