apolaroidofus
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I love the poem but I'm really struggling to relate it to the themes - how is it related to the theme of identity? (using quotations preferably)
izzy888
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I would say the easiest way to do it is to link how the narrator feels their identity comes from their history and their ancestors.

'The back of the Koran, where a hand has written in the names and histories'- Religion and ancestry as part of a person's identity. History is a central theme- emphasis on how this has been handed down (can link to identity). 'Sepia' - faded or yellow with age. See previous point. 'Pages smooth and stroked and turned'- tactile verbs suggest that although this book connects them to religion, the connection to family and ancestry is more important.

'The poem is written from the point of view of someone today looking out at the conflict and troubles of the modern world; destruction, war and politics, money and wealth as well as issues like terrorism and identity. The poem remarks how nothing is meant to last, that it would be better not to hold too tightly to that and instead we should be willing to let go and pass things on in their time to be remade.
The poem looks at conflict in terms of destruction and politics particularly, it hints that we make our own conflict by holding on too tight to power and control and actually the need to relax and remember we are all human.

-The poet explores the characteristics of tissue and applies it to a world at conflict with the people who have made it.

-The poet addresses some of the larger issues; greed, pride etc. and how we have built our world around them, at odds with our own existence.
-The poem is a parable in nature as it suggests there is a spiritual fulfilment in passing on ownership and letting things pass when they have filled their purpose.'

Have you watched the Mr Bruff video on it? They are so good for the poetry section! Also, have a look at some grade 9 model answers as you can borrow some ideas from those. There is a comparison between Ozymandius and Tissue, which is great to do as Tissue is so challenging that comparing it with Ozymandius makes it much easier. Mr Salles is also amazing- he has a video called 'What if Tissue come up?!' that you should watch.

I hope this helps!
apolaroidofus
Rep:
?
(Original post by izzy888)
I would say the easiest way to do it is to link how the narrator feels their identity comes from their history and their ancestors.

'The back of the Koran, where a hand has written in the names and histories'- Religion and ancestry as part of a person's identity. History is a central theme- emphasis on how this has been handed down (can link to identity). 'Sepia' - faded or yellow with age. See previous point. 'Pages smooth and stroked and turned'- tactile verbs suggest that although this book connects them to religion, the connection to family and ancestry is more important.

'The poem is written from the point of view of someone today looking out at the conflict and troubles of the modern world; destruction, war and politics, money and wealth as well as issues like terrorism and identity. The poem remarks how nothing is meant to last, that it would be better not to hold too tightly to that and instead we should be willing to let go and pass things on in their time to be remade.
The poem looks at conflict in terms of destruction and politics particularly, it hints that we make our own conflict by holding on too tight to power and control and actually the need to relax and remember we are all human.

-The poet explores the characteristics of tissue and applies it to a world at conflict with the people who have made it.

-The poet addresses some of the larger issues; greed, pride etc. and how we have built our world around them, at odds with our own existence.
-The poem is a parable in nature as it suggests there is a spiritual fulfilment in passing on ownership and letting things pass when they have filled their purpose.'

Have you watched the Mr Bruff video on it? They are so good for the poetry section! Also, have a look at some grade 9 model answers as you can borrow some ideas from those. There is a comparison between Ozymandius and Tissue, which is great to do as Tissue is so challenging that comparing it with Ozymandius makes it much easier. Mr Salles is also amazing- he has a video called 'What if Tissue come up?!' that you should watch.

I hope this helps!
This is incredibly helpful, thank you!
Tamimur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I did pretty well on my analysis of this poem last year, shame I can't remember any of it though.
apolaroidofus
Rep:
?
m4443

(Original post by Tamimur)
I did pretty well on my analysis of this poem last year, shame I can't remember any of it though.
never has somebody on TSR been so helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.19%
I'm not sure (59)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (381)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.84%
I'm not a current university student (642)
49.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise