The Student Room Group

HRW: Africans Face Coronavirus Racism in China

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/05/human-rights-china-discrimination-africans-coronavirus.html

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/05/05/china-covid-19-discrimination-against-africans

People of African descent are facing a disturbing wave of discrimination in China amid the coronavirus pandemic, according to a Human Rights Watch report released this week. The report comes after anti-African racism in Guangzhou, a city of 13 million people in Guangdong province, rose to international attention in a slew of viral social media posts last month. Examples included a laminated paper sign displayed at McDonald’s with the words “black people are not allowed to enter,” a black woman being denied entry into a shopping center, and African migrants, forcibly evicted from their apartments, stranded on the streets.
Horrible news. For some people this lockdown is clearly bringing out the prejudice they hold. :frown:
That’s terrible in any case, I’m fairly sure in any case Africa is the least affected majorirly populated continent
Reply 3
Original post by Andrew97
That’s terrible in any case, I’m fairly sure in any case Africa is the least affected majorirly populated continent

I'd be curious as to what degree that is true, baring in mind the dubious health systems in many of the countries and thus the lack of recording. Nigeria's amusingly low incidence rate being a case in point.
Original post by Napp
I'd be curious as to what degree that is true, baring in mind the dubious health systems in many of the countries and thus the lack of recording. Nigeria's amusingly low incidence rate being a case in point.

Yep, there’s an obvious caveat to all of this. Are countries hiding the numbers. Psople beleive, Mexico, China and Belarus have been doing this. And how good are reporting standards etc. As far as we are evidentially and officially aware this is true. Although I agree with you that it might not actually be the case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending