The Student Room Group

Electron Question

Hi,

Can anyone help me with this question? In terms of the number of free electrons, what is the difference between a metal and a semimetal??

Thank you :smile:
What makes a metal, a metal?

Original post by iwebb
Hi,

Can anyone help me with this question? In terms of the number of free electrons, what is the difference between a metal and a semimetal??

Thank you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by charco
What makes a metal, a metal?

like a normal metal (i understand that part: delocalised electrons) what i'm confused about is the semimetal part
Original post by iwebb
like a normal metal (i understand that part: delocalised electrons) what i'm confused about is the semimetal part

So, if a metal has a band of electrons that are completely free to move (delocalised) a semimetal has states in which this occurs and states in which it doesn't. It has some electrons with partial freedom that can express this freedom under certain circumstances. So in some situations it behaves like a metal and some situations when it behaves like a non-metal.
Reply 4
Original post by charco
So, if a metal has a band of electrons that are completely free to move (delocalised) a semimetal has states in which this occurs and states in which it doesn't. It has some electrons with partial freedom that can express this freedom under certain circumstances. So in some situations it behaves like a metal and some situations when it behaves like a non-metal.

Thank you! That is a good explanation

Quick Reply

Latest