Lelderton
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My daughter wants to study psychology at university. She is doing psychology and English language at A level and btech health and social care. Only problem is she got a 4 in her maths GCSE (3 marks off a 5). Is it worth applying to Russell Group uni's (most want a 6 in maths). She is predicted an A in psychology, Merit at health and social and B in English language at the moment but is hoping to improve on English and get an A.
Last edited by Lelderton; 1 year ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lelderton)
My daughter wants to study psychology at university. She is doing psychology, English language at A level and btech health and social care. Only problem is she got a 4 in her maths GCSE (3 marks off a 5). Is it worth applying to Russell Group uni's (most want a 6 in maths). She is predicted an A in psychology, Merit at health and social and B in English language at the moment but is hoping to improve on English and get an A.
The 4 is going to be a problem for most, yes. I'm surprised the school didn't ask for a review of the marking, given the importance of getting a 5 in maths and it being so close to a boundary.
Lelderton
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
The 4 is going to be a problem for most, yes. I'm surprised the school didn't ask for a review of the marking, given the importance of getting a 5 in maths and it being so close to a boundary.
We had it looked by a teacher who also marks papers and she said there was nowhere she could pick up the 3 marks :-(
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We had it looked by a teacher who also marks papers and she said there was nowhere she could pick up the 3 marks :-(
Oh dear.

Well, the 4 is a problem, yes. There's a fair amount of maths in psychology at uni, and a 4 at GCSE isn't going to be good enough for many. Also, a 'merit' at the BTEC is going to be problematic too. Realistically, offering AB at A level and a merit at BTEC isn't really up to the entry standard of Russell Group universities, and your daughter might want to cast her net a bit wider. Having said that, 'Russell Group' is just a marketing term anyway, and could well be irrelevant as to where is best for your daughter to study.
Lelderton
Rep:
?
Oh dear.

Well, the 4 is a problem, yes. There's a fair amount of maths in psychology at uni, and a 4 at GCSE isn't going to be good enough for many. Also, a 'merit' at the BTEC is going to be problematic too. Realistically, offering AB at A level and a merit at BTEC isn't really up to the entry standard of Russell Group universities, and your daughter might want to cast her net a bit wider. Having said that, 'Russell Group' is just a marketing term anyway, and could well be irrelevant as to where is best for your daughter to study.
She has a chance of gaining a distinction at health and social too but won't know for sure until after she does exams at the end of June. She is going to apply to other uni's too but just wondered if it's worth applying to Russell Group too. My elder daughter is at University of York and when her cohort did A levels a lot of them missed their grades and still got taken.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
She has a chance of gaining a distinction at health and social too but won't know for sure until after she does exams at the end of June. She is going to apply to other uni's too but just wondered if it's worth applying to Russell Group too. My elder daughter is at University of York and when her cohort did A levels a lot of them missed their grades and still got taken.
But why does she even want to apply to a 'Russell Group' - this is my question. There's nothing magical about them.

If she wants to apply to a highly selective university (and one which may or may not be part of the RG) then there would be no harm in using up one of her six choices - but the chances of being offered a place on the basis of her predicted results are slim, as she is not a competitive candidate. She'd still then have another five choices for more realistic target universities.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For Psychology courses many universities require grades 6 or B in Maths due to its Mathematical content. Bath ask for a 7 or A. If a university asks for a set grade at GCSE they dont change it or accept someone without it irrespective of A level results. The distinction/merit in BTEC might make a difference otherwise. A distinction is classed as a grade A and a merit grade C. There is no grade B or D equivalent in BTEC.

There are no exams in June this year. They have been cancelled. The BTEC grade will be based on work already completed.
username3754758
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If she retakes maths and enrolls in the september exams that are gonna happen this year then some universities might be lenient and give her time to do that. I think some russel group unis will allow 5 as a general entry requirement. If she has good A level grades and retakes maths then they can apply.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My daughter wants to study psychology at university. She is doing psychology and English language at A level and btech health and social care. Only problem is she got a 4 in her maths GCSE (3 marks off a 5). Is it worth applying to Russell Group uni's (most want a 6 in maths). She is predicted an A in psychology, Merit at health and social and B in English language at the moment but is hoping to improve on English and get an A.
So unlike at A-levels GCSEs are NOT normally negotiable, the expectation is normally that GCSEs are a fairly low bar and applicants will meet it, then A-level grades are used to determine acceptance (and then depending on the uni, & cohort depends on the grade requirement and how flexible theyb are).
Realistically she would likely need to resit the GCSE for a uni that wants a 6 at GCSE, if they do paper exams (and accept new applicants) in Septemebr/October could she easily get a 6 by then? If not then I would suggest looking at courses your daughter does qualify for.

Also Russell Group is lobby group for research funding and has very little to do with undergraduate education.
Oh dear.

PRSOM
Last edited by mnot; 1 year ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have had a quick look and it appears that Cardiff and Southampton are not requiring the usual Maths requirement Both are RG universities but as already said that means nothing. Leicester and Swansea appear also not to have a specific Maths grade.

It never ceases to amaze me the poor advice students get from schools about careers. Your daughter really should have been advised to resit her Maths because it is restricting her ability. They sometimes dont advise students to take the right A level subjects. A level Maths is required for most Economics or Computer Science courses for most leading universities but students are often totally unaware of this. Some universities dont accept Business Studies and Economics together yet schools dont advise students not to do this.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
It never ceases to amaze me the poor advice students get from schools about careers. Your daughter really should have been advised to resit her Maths because it is restricting her ability.
Allowing her to continue into the VIth form and apply to universities with a 4 in maths and no remedial plan is bordering on negligent for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads