The Student Room Group

Criminalisation of cannabis

In my opinion dealing and using cannabis should not be a criminal offence, and that this statute is outdated, and also racist. The original reason for criminalising cannabis in the USA was because it was noted that black men fell in love with white women when they were high, which is a state of being under the influence of the drug. This law spread to the UK and resulted in our government also banning the drug, even for recognised medicinal purposes. Isn't this wrong?

Especially when corporate fatcats e.g. Gary Barlow get away with far worse things e.g. tax evasion, and world leaders e.g. George W. Bush, and Tony Blair get away with far worse crimes e.g. invading Iraq and behaving in a completely reckless manner, which included the USA using illegal weapons, which endangered innocent civilians. This is a double standard in my opinion.

It's time for the statute to be repealed, and the criminalisation of cannabis users to end. I would doubt that they would get 10 years. But someone dealing sufficient quantities of the drug could get 10, or even 14 years. That's why at the very least the penalty needs revising. Especially when far worser criminals e.g. burgulars typically get 2 years (suspended), or even less for their crimes. The government needs to realise that some people use cannabis. And get over it.

Scroll to see replies

It’s honestly crazy that alcohol is so much more dangerous than cannabis, and equal gives some people more “criminal” type behaviours than anyone who uses cannabis. It’s so mad that it’s band, the government are criminalising completely good people. If drugs were legal it would be so much safer, let’s face it legal or not people are gonna do them. Legalising it stops back ally attempts to get it, and also means the production is much more legit meaning the product itself is safer and not contaminated with other dangerous stuff the user would have no idea of. There’s be less people taking up space in prison systems wasting government money. It would even reduce crime as it would put drug dealers out of business if u can get close to pure safe drugs from legit places at good prises.
Reply 2
If the legalised most drugs they could sell safer versions, decrease crime and use resources in places that matter. It's not perfect but neither is the current state.
Most if not all psychedelics should be legalised imo
Reply 4
Out of interest, do you have a particular reason for this other than wanting to get stoned or?
Original post by Napp
Out of interest, do you have a particular reason for this other than wanting to get stoned or?

Anxiety, depression, other mental health conditions, physical pain. And yes just getting stoned is also completely valid, just like drinking alcohol to get drunk is completely valid
Reply 6
Original post by Lilysmithxoxo
Anxiety, depression, other mental health conditions, physical pain. And yes just getting stoned is also completely valid, just like drinking alcohol to get drunk is completely valid

So given the broad similarities with opium in that is treats pain, anxiety and some other health conditions (plus a delicious high) should we be allowed to smoke it?
Reply 7
It's time for the statute to be repealed, and the criminalisation of cannabis users to end. I woulI don't think it should be legalized. Those drugs that for hospitals should be under a special medical program. But cannabis should not be freely available. It's a drug. But it's also business. Someone has been enriched for many years by drugs. Drug mafia is a huge undercover business. Now they are trying to legalize everything and also with our hands. It's all an information attack. d doubt that they would get 10 years. But someone dealing sufficient quantities of the drug could get 10, or even 14 years. That's why at the very least the penalty needs revising. Especially when far worser criminals e.g. burgulars typically get 2 years (suspended), or even less for their crimes. The government needs to realise that some people use cannabis. And get over it.
Reply 8
Original post by besimiy
It's time for the statute to be repealed, and the criminalisation of cannabis users to end. I woulI don't think it should be legalized. Those drugs that for hospitals should be under a special medical program. But cannabis should not be freely available. It's a drug. But it's also business. Someone has been enriched for many years by drugs. Drug mafia is a huge undercover business. Now they are trying to legalize everything and also with our hands. It's all an information attack. d doubt that they would get 10 years. But someone dealing sufficient quantities of the drug could get 10, or even 14 years. That's why at the very least the penalty needs revising. Especially when far worser criminals e.g. burgulars typically get 2 years (suspended), or even less for their crimes. The government needs to realise that some people use cannabis. And get over it.

You couldnt have made a more contradictory post if you tried...
Original post by Lilysmithxoxo
It’s honestly crazy that alcohol is so much more dangerous than cannabis,

Ummm. That's not quite true though is it?

Sadly I don't believe it would do away with gangland either. They would simply create a new market.

Its more complex than we think.
Original post by Napp
So given the broad similarities with opium in that is treats pain, anxiety and some other health conditions (plus a delicious high) should we be allowed to smoke it?

Thankfully opiates can be obtained OTC and on prescription quite easily the same cannot be said for cannabis or its derivatives. Before you mention CBD it isn't that effective certainly not anywhere close to that of opiates however raw cannabis is an effective pain reliever. While prescription cannabis is "legal" is it incredibly hard to get hold of with only around 200 prescriptions in the entire UK.
Reply 11
Original post by DiddyDec
Thankfully opiates can be obtained OTC and on prescription quite easily the same cannot be said for cannabis or its derivatives. Before you mention CBD it isn't that effective certainly not anywhere close to that of opiates however raw cannabis is an effective pain reliever. While prescription cannabis is "legal" is it incredibly hard to get hold of with only around 200 prescriptions in the entire UK.

Since when? Or are you referring to co-codamol?
I will defer to you on the topic of cannabis scripting though, as one doesnt have any particular knowledge on the matter. With that being said, i though it was becoming 'relatively' common for giving to those with cancer and such?
However, in a broader sense i do acknowledge the UK's retrograde attitude to a bit of a pot. The irony of being allowed to grow opium poppies but not a pot plant or two being quite glaring.
Reply 12
Original post by ByEeek
Ummm. That's not quite true though is it?

I mean, in terms of killing people i believe she is 100% correct. I'm not aware of a single fatality from weed on its own whilst someone can easily drink themselves to death in but one night.
With that being said, what i assume to be your point, regarding the profound damage it can do to the mind, lungs and so on stands.
Original post by Napp
I mean, in terms of killing people i believe she is 100% correct. I'm not aware of a single fatality from weed on its own whilst someone can easily drink themselves to death in but one night.
With that being said, what i assume to be your point, regarding the profound damage it can do to the mind, lungs and so on stands.

That said you could be indirectly killed by weed, such as commiting a very serious crime under the influence, in a death penalty state, and then sentenced to the death penalty. You could drive under the influence and cause a fatal accident. You could even get crushed by a massive quantity of weed, the possibilities are endless if you are creative enough. But alcohol is more dangerous.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Napp
Since when? Or are you referring to co-codamol?
I will defer to you on the topic of cannabis scripting though, as one doesnt have any particular knowledge on the matter. With that being said, i though it was becoming 'relatively' common for giving to those with cancer and such?
However, in a broader sense i do acknowledge the UK's retrograde attitude to a bit of a pot. The irony of being allowed to grow opium poppies but not a pot plant or two being quite glaring.

Co-codamol, Codeine, Tramadol, Thebaine, then several others that can only be administered by injection.

The hilarity of UK drug growing laws comes with allowing the growth and export of licensed medical cannabis but not allowing it to be sold in the UK. According to this 2018 article we are the largest producer of cannabis in the world.
Reply 15
Co-codamol, Codeine, Tramadol, Thebaine, then several others that can only be administered by injection.

The hilarity of UK drug growing laws comes with allowing the growth and export of licensed medical cannabis but not allowing it to be sold in the UK. According to this 2018 article we are the largest producer of cannabis in the world.

Since when can you buy codeine, tramadol or thebaine on their own over the counter?
Oh gotta love that :lol: Yes UK growing laws are rather peculiar.
Original post by Napp
Since when can you buy codeine, tramadol or thebaine on their own over the counter?
Oh gotta love that :lol: Yes UK growing laws are rather peculiar.

You can't but you can easily get them on prescription should you require them.
Reply 17
You can't but you can easily get them on prescription should you require them.

Ahh sorry, yes i get you now. With that being said, we are still light years behind are yankee cousins in being able to get 'fun' opiates from the neighborhood gp :lol:
Original post by Napp
Ahh sorry, yes i get you now. With that being said, we are still light years behind are yankee cousins in being able to get 'fun' opiates from the neighborhood gp :lol:

I hope we never get the American levels of drug misuse. While I do use opiates quite sparingly I am certainly no fan of them.
Reply 19
I hope we never get the American levels of drug misuse. While I do use opiates quite sparingly I am certainly no fan of them.

Mmm unforutnately the difference between them seems to be america swinging too far too one side and Britain (for example) too far to the other. With one being exceptionally liberal and the other refusing to prescribe appropriate opioids when needed for fear of misuse.

Indeed, i've tended to find its rather a case of swings and roundabouts with the particular class and finding the right balance can be somewhat tricky. Alas. With that being said, i maintain codeine is a most vile 'narcotic'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending